Apple holds up iPhone 3G S deliveries ahead of 3.0 software

Comments

• Reply 41 of 81
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brianus View Post

You've got to be kidding me. That actually happened? Apple requested that customers who'd already received and presumably opened their packages return them so they could be delivered a second time, later? That's the most batshit insane thing I've ever heard.

On the service it certainly seems crazy, but Apple and other companies have planned releases for a reason. This pickup and re-delivery would have been largely unsuccessful but it seems like more of a punishment to UPS in the wasted man hours to attempt to pick up all those phones. I?m guessing that this year there are very few of these mistakes happening.
  • Reply 42 of 81
    c4rlobc4rlob Posts: 277member
    FIRST - Alaska is the US port receiving shipments from China?? HECK NO! Isn't that the place with that crazy governor that believes she commands our country's first response to foreign invasion from Russia? I'd feel a lot better if my brand new iPhone didn't have to touch Alaska soil.

SECOND - Shame on Apple for promising the 3.0 software update today and not having it out early morning California time! It should've been on iTunes servers 6am PT. Promising to releasing a digital upgrade on a certain day shouldn't mean by the end of that day - it should mean at the start of the day - I'd even argue 12:01 am if I wanted to be real picky.
  • Reply 43 of 81
    sigs21sigs21 Posts: 82member
    Hopefully We Get T-shirts for standing in Line.. need my new apple t-shirt..
  • Reply 44 of 81
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Eriamjh View Post

If the "receiver" put a hold on it, then the receiver can call and release it.

No, they can't. The sender is the customer, not the receiver.
  • Reply 45 of 81
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    I think this is a smart move on Apple's part. Now they won't have hundreds of thousands of iPhone 3Gs activations going on along side of the millions of iPhone 3.0 OS updates and activations.
  • Reply 46 of 81
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by c4rlob View Post

FIRST - Alaska is the US port receiving shipments from China?? HECK NO! Isn't that the place with that crazy governor that believes she commands our country's first response to foreign invasion from Russia? I'd feel a lot better if my brand new iPhone didn't have to touch Alaska soil.

That was needless, we don't need political sniping. That's just where the shipping company decided to put a waypoint, it probably makes the most sense, geographically speaking, because a "straight line" on the surface of a globe doesn't go where we might expect it to go.

Quote:

SECOND - Shame on Apple for promising the 3.0 software update today and not having it out early morning California time! It should've been on iTunes servers 6am PT. Promising to releasing a digital upgrade on a certain day shouldn't mean by the end of that day - it should mean at the start of the day - I'd even argue 12:01 am if I wanted to be real picky.

Ideally, yes. Sometimes things don't work as expected. Others, as it appears here, expectations are too rigid. They never said what time it would be released. What is so important about this that you have to have it this morning? Is it really going to be a problem for you to install it tonight?
  • Reply 47 of 81
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dj_rell5 View Post

You are damn right... I woke up this morning expecting to get 3.0... was I wrong. I am patiently waiting tho

Yeah same here, I thought i was ahead of the curve waking up early this morning to try and download 3.0. Downloading in the afternoon! damn it! i have to bring my laptop to work now! So long jailbroke edition 2.2.1, it has been fun!
  • Reply 48 of 81
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Juanito View Post

What disappoints is that those that took the time to preorder won't get their handsets until AFTER those who just go to the Apple or AT&T Stores. Unless UPS delivers by 8AM, which they usually don't. At least not where I live.

No, I preordered mine form AT&T and will be able to pick it up Friday at 7.
  • Reply 49 of 81
    ilzosoilzoso Posts: 1member
    "RECEIVER" may mean the receiving UPS location... not necessarily the end user .
  • Reply 50 of 81
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

Christ, people need to find something real to be outraged at....

What are you even doing here? Who is outraged? Really?
  • Reply 51 of 81
    juanitojuanito Posts: 14member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by justflybob View Post

You're kidding us, right? You would actually PREFER to be hanging around, waiting in line for who knows how long, not knowing whether or not the model you want is available, rather than having someone deliver it to you on Friday?

Wow...

Connections my friend. Didn't have to wait for hours two years ago, wouldn't have had to wait on friday. Only for the fact I'm gonna be away all day friday. Either way, I know a lot of us wre whining but at least we know we're getting it for sure. That's the silver lining.
  • Reply 52 of 81
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    OK

to calm all you guys down

Go to itunes and rent the 99 cent scotland movie.

It will help pas the time .
  • Reply 53 of 81
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Why would you pre-order or get in line for something that hasn't been reviewed thoroughly in the first place?

Blind Faith? Need an upgrade anyway. My Original iPhone screen cracked around may.
  • Reply 54 of 81
    flopeflope Posts: 1member
    I was a little excited about maybe getting the 3G S today, but figured there had to be a catch. On the other hand I am just a tad flamed that the 3.0 software has not yet been posted. June 17 is more than halfway gone in the Eastern time zone. I would have liked to update my ancient original iPhone before work, or at least before bedtime. Post the freaking 3.0!
  • Reply 55 of 81
    bigmc6000bigmc6000 Posts: 767member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Juanito View Post

Blind Faith? Need an upgrade anyway. My Original iPhone screen cracked around may.

He's going to tell you those are all horrible reasons
  • Reply 56 of 81
    bigmc6000bigmc6000 Posts: 767member
    I do have a quick question about the OS... I'm putting 3.0 on my 2G iPhone (obviously) but I'm keeping it as 1) a de-facto fatty Touch and 2) personal insurance should something horrible happen to my 3Gs I won't be stuck paying $500 for a new one. The question is this - will future feature rich updates (i.e. 4.0) still be free since it's an iPhone or will the fact that it's not used as a phone make me pay for it?

I'm thinking the former but who knows...
  • Reply 57 of 81
    arteckxarteckx Posts: 39member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Flope View Post

I was a little excited about maybe getting the 3G S today, but figured there had to be a catch. On the other hand I am just a tad flamed that the 3.0 software has not yet been posted. June 17 is more than halfway gone in the Eastern time zone. I would have liked to update my ancient original iPhone before work, or at least before bedtime. Post the freaking 3.0!

Hilariously, it was available by the time you posted your complaint. You could have been downloading a minute earlier instead of complaining.
  • Reply 58 of 81
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bigmc6000 View Post

He's going to tell you those are all horrible reasons

Oh well, reason enough for me. The main reason is the cracked screen. I was gonna just get a 3G but I decided to hold out. No other phone has really seemed better to me. Besides, No one offers the plan I have. Not Even AT&T anymore. Same minutes in US and MEXICO and calls to and fro. ZERO Roaming. (Great for the border) No longer available but as long as I don't switch they have to keep it.
  • Reply 59 of 81
    citycity Posts: 522member
    3.0 is here!
  • Reply 60 of 81
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brucep View Post

OK

to calm all you guys down

Go to itunes and rent the 99 cent scotland movie.

It will help pas the time .

Scottland? Is it good?