iPhone and ATT family plan intricacies?

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Looking for a little bit of help and wondering if someone has an answer. Here is the situation:

- I am on my in-laws family plan with ATT here in the US, which has four lines (me, wife, father-in-law and mother-in-law).

- My wife and in-laws want to buy me an iPhone for graduation (I am a lucky guy).

- My lines that my father-in-law and mother-in-law use are currently eligible for a phone upgrade, but my wife and I upgraded our phones last year (cheap freebies)

Is there a way that I can keep my same phone number but swap upgrade eligibility with either my father-in-law or mother-in-law so that I can get the iPhone at the subsidized price? If I am not able to exchange upgrade eligibility, does anyone know the ATT cost associated with upgrading my phone to the iPhone 3G S at this time?

Thanks for any reply/information you can give to me. These are probably good questions for ATT's support staff, but I thought I would try the knowledge on this forum first to avoid wading through the phone queue.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by crentist View Post

Is there a way that I can keep my same phone number but swap upgrade eligibility with either my father-in-law or mother-in-law so that I can get the iPhone at the subsidized price? If I am not able to exchange upgrade eligibility, does anyone know the ATT cost associated with upgrading my phone to the iPhone 3G S at this time?

I actually called AT&T about this very question. I am not eligible, but my wife is, I want a 3gS, she's happy with her current phone. Bottom line is, yes you can do it, and there's no cost involved. You just have to take tell the acct. rep at the AT&T store that you're using one of the other account's upgrade eligibility. The apparently don't "recommend" it, but won't stop you according to the rep I spoke with. I'll be testing it as soon as my phone arrives.

Zhe Wiz
  • Reply 2 of 2
    crentistcrentist Posts: 204member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zhe Wiz View Post

I actually called AT&T about this very question. I am not eligible, but my wife is, I want a 3gS, she's happy with her current phone. Bottom line is, yes you can do it, and there's no cost involved. You just have to take tell the acct. rep at the AT&T store that you're using one of the other account's upgrade eligibility. The apparently don't "recommend" it, but won't stop you according to the rep I spoke with. I'll be testing it as soon as my phone arrives.

Zhe Wiz

Thanks for the reply. Good news so far, I guess.

So a follow up question of mine would be do I purchase my iPhone at the Apple Store (I have a gift card) and then take it to a ATT Wireless store to speak with the reps there and for activation? Is that allowed? I am allowed to walk out of an Apple store without activating the iPhone there?

Thanks.