Apple releases iPhone Software 3.0

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Apple on Wednesday afternoon formally rolled out iPhone Software 3.0 for existing iPhone and iPod touch customers, delivering some long-requested features such as copy & paste.

Features

In total, iPhone Software 3.0 delivers over 100 new features when compared to the previous version (2.2.1). Some of the more prominent enhancements include:

Cut, Copy & Paste: Quickly cut, copy, and paste text from application to application. Select entire blocks of web text with a tap. Copy and paste images from the web, too.Landscape Keyboard: Rotate iPhone to landscape to use a larger keyboard in Mail, Messages, Notes, and Safari.MMS: Send MMS messages and include video, photos, audio, and contact info. Even tap to snap a picture or shoot a video right inside Messages. MMS support for U.S.-based AT&T customers won't be available until late summer.Spotlight Search: Find what youÂ?re looking for across your iPhone, all from one place. Spotlight searches all of your contacts, email, calendars, and notes, as well as everything in your iPod.Voice Memos: Capture a memo, a meeting, or any audio recording on the go. Voice Memos works with the built-in iPhone microphone or with the mic on your headset.Improved Calendar: Create meetings via Microsoft Exchange ActiveSync and subscribe to calendars with new CalDAV support.Buy Movies, TV Shows, andÂ*Audiobooks: Download movies, TV shows, music videos, and audiobooks from the iTunes Store on your iPhone.Safari Improvements: Enjoy faster performance, autofill user names and passwords, andÂ*more.Internet Tethering: Share your Internet connection with your laptop with Internet tethering via Bluetooth or USB. Tethering is not currently offered in the U.S. and some other countries.Stereo Bluetooth: Connect compatible Bluetooth stereo headphones, car kits, or other accessories.Automatic Wi-Fi Login: Log in to a Wi-Fi hotspot and iPhone automatically logs you in when you connect again.Sync Notes: Never leave a note behind. Now you can sync all the notes you write on your iPhone back to your Mac or PC.Parental Controls: Decide what music, videos, andÂ*apps your kids can access.iTunes Store Account: Create and log in to one or more iTunes Store accounts directly from your iPhone.YouTube Login: Log in to your YouTube account to save and sync bookmarks and rateÂ*favorites.Shake to Shuffle: Give iPhone a shake and it shufflesÂ*to a different song in yourÂ*music library.New Languages: iPhone supports 30 languages and more than 40 keyboard layouts.MobileMe Find My iPhone andÂ*Remote Wipe: Find your iPhone if you lose it and protect your privacy with Remote Wipe.Run the Latest Apps: Run the next generation of iPhone apps, like peer-to-peer games and more.

Availability

iPhone and iPhone 3G customers can download the new iPhone OS 3.0 software for free while iPod touch customers will first need to purchase the update for $9.95 (US) before downloading and installing it.

Upgrading

To update your iPhone or iPod touch to iPhone Software 3.0, make sure you are using iTunes 8.2 and then connect your iPhone or iPod to your computer. When iTunes opens, select your iPhone or iPod under Devices in the Source List on the left.

In the Summary pane, click "Check for Update." Click Download and Install. Do not disconnect your device until the update has finished.

Feedback

AppleInsider readers are encouraged to provide feedback on their upgrade experiences for other readers in the comments thread for this article.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 380
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Well, I'm downloading it now. I'll wait on my wife and daughter's though, just in case there are problems.

Keeping my fingers crossed (figuratively!).
  • Reply 2 of 380
    ...my iPhone is feeding from Apple
  • Reply 3 of 380
    tpf1952tpf1952 Posts: 65member
    Now that's out of the way.
  • Reply 4 of 380
    My 2nd gen touch (32gb) with 2.2.2 sees that the update is available, but clicking "update" from within iTunes just loops me back to the, "an update is available" (nothing installs).

Perhaps the servers are overwhelmed with nerds like me trying to be the first to download, first to comment....?
  • Reply 5 of 380
    I'm at work and cannot update til this evening. Can someone please post the "Snappiness" factor of 3.0
  • Reply 6 of 380
    iTunes is still telling me 221 is current!
  • Reply 7 of 380
    durandaldurandal Posts: 277member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gearhunter View Post

...my iPhone is feeding from Apple

7 Minutes to go...
  • Reply 8 of 380
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Come on Dev Team.
  • Reply 9 of 380
    ijanoijano Posts: 19member
    Downloading it now...been checking very frequently, so it must have just gone live minutes ago. Will post pack if I notice "snappiness"! (Also, my wife will be getting a 3GS as a new phone and I'll be hanging on to the 3G. Will be interesting to see how much snappier her phone is)
  • Reply 10 of 380
    merdheadmerdhead Posts: 587member
    Great, now to dig up the jailbreak software for 3.0 so my iPod touch actually stays useful.
  • Reply 11 of 380
    durandaldurandal Posts: 277member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MyopiaRocks View Post

My 2nd gen touch (32gb) with 2.2.2 sees that the update is available, but clicking "update" from within iTunes just loops me back to the, "an update is available" (nothing installs).

Perhaps the servers are overwhelmed with nerds like me trying to be the first to download, first to comment....?

Judging from D/L speed the servers are well (about 450 Kilobytes/sec for me)
  • Reply 12 of 380
    Almost half way downloading.
  • Reply 13 of 380
    i got the gold master last week and it says mine is already up to date
  • Reply 14 of 380
    im downloading right now! cant wait
  • Reply 15 of 380
    When will we be able to download it from apple.com? I'm here at work, with my mac, but cannot connect to the network to download through iTunes.
  • Reply 16 of 380
    On our huge pipe line at work, I downloaded the update in about 10 seconds.

Looks like they were ready
  • Reply 17 of 380
    How do I get iTunes to recognize it's available if I'm already running a beta version of 3.0?
  • Reply 18 of 380
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member
    Quote:

Sync Notes: Never leave a note behind. Now you can sync all the notes you write on your iPhone back to your Mac or PC.

Will the notes sync with Exchange? And what about syncing Tasks with Exchange?
  • Reply 19 of 380
    It keeps saying 2.2 is the current version....... sheeeesh\
  • Reply 20 of 380
    The download is available in the US. It is 230.1 MB. (Downloading it via iTunes)