Apple releases iPhone Software 3.0

Comments

• Reply 81 of 380
    roos24roos24 Posts: 170member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nautilus. View Post

where's the mouse in the cat & mouse game? :P

Found the mouse (next to my keyboard), now where is that frikkin' cat?

• Reply 82 of 380
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DJRumpy View Post

Can someone check the build version number for me? I'm not sure if I need to update from the 3.0 GM seed to the 'release' version.

In iTunes, if you click the words "Software Version" with your iPhone highlighted, it should switch to the Build Version. Mine is showing build 7A341.

Thanks

YES. 7A341

Don't bother
  • Reply 83 of 380
    dhkostadhkosta Posts: 150member
    Numeric battery!!!
  • Reply 84 of 380
    adamiigsadamiigs Posts: 355member
    From a cnet article ...

Quote:

When we first tested the beta version of iPhone OS 3.0, we were able to compose, but not send, a multimedia message in a few quick steps on our iPhone 3G. In subsequent OS 3.0 updates, Apple removed the process for doing this; presumably you'll get it back when MMS goes live.

So that could be part of the delay as well, they simple too MMS out of the download so people couldn't hack it i'm assuming.
  • Reply 85 of 380
    hvalhval Posts: 6member
    Plugged iPhone into Mac at 18:05 hrs. iTunes started automatically, but iPhone did not synch. Manually downloaded software. Started downloading software at 18:06 hrs. It took five minutes to download 230.1mb file.

Install then started. Install was then verified followed by a firmware update.

After firmware update message box appeared on iTunes saying "Leave phone alone" whilst phone rebooted. Did this. iTunes picked up that phone was there but came up with error message " Could not connect to this iPhone because an unknown error occurred".

iPhone rebooted itself and started okay this time. This time my phone has changed language and is now in Japanese!

Update process took 24 minutes (even if my phone now thinks we live in Japan)

Hval
  • Reply 86 of 380
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pekopome View Post

I just found out that you can disable the Find My iPhone feature without using a password.. Whats that about.. A thief could just switch that feature off the moment he got the phone.

I noticed this, too. I mentioned last week in the Find My iPhone article on AI, but no one seemed to care. I think it's a major flaw. Also, if don't have Push on and you have the get mail duration set to manual your iPhone will not show up on the me.com site.

If you send a remote wipe you can cancel it by holding down the Home and Sleep buttons to turn if off. I did that with no data loss. The iPhone 3GS is a little better here as the HW encryption should make the wipe instant, but if what I mentioned earlier gets turned off then the wipe will never get to the device, despite the ability to grab mail from MobileMe manually.
  • Reply 87 of 380
    virgil-tb2virgil-tb2 Posts: 1,416member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gocolts18 View Post

7a312

The correct build is 7A341.
  • Reply 88 of 380
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post

Anyone feeling post-update depression yet?

Seriously, after all the hype, except for the (boring) voice memo app and Spotlight there is essentially no difference on the surface between 2.2.1 and 3.0. I knew this beforehand of course, but one can't help but feel a bit of a letdown when the reality of the very minor changes hits home.

One note:

The update doesn't activate the Apple in-ear headphones as some had expected. I know that Apple carefully never said these headphones would work with the iPhone, but I know a lot were expecting they would after the update.

They don't.

There are major upgrades. Just because you wanted to SEE a new look, which as you said, you knew wouldn't happen, doesn't make the upgrade any less significant.

If the expectation was that the headphones wouldn't work, and they don't, what are you disappointed about?
  • Reply 89 of 380
    kavlo26kavlo26 Posts: 10member
    Is there shake to shuffle for the ipod touch as well or is it only for the iphone? Just curious before I update it later today.
  • Reply 90 of 380
    Download and install went fine. I decided before I started playing around though, I should sync and back up first. It's been backing up for about 15 minutes now and still has about 20% left to go. I'm hoping it's because it's backing up the entirely new OS.
  • Reply 91 of 380
    csimmonscsimmons Posts: 100member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by yardsale View Post

Just doesnt seem like its worht 9.99$ for my ipod touch to give me what? Landskape keyboard, copy and paste, and a better calander....

Yeah, because those 2 or 3 cups of Starbucks coffee for the same price is a much better deal...
  • Reply 92 of 380
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DJRumpy View Post

Can someone check the build version number for me? I'm not sure if I need to update from the 3.0 GM seed to the 'release' version.

In iTunes, if you click the words "Software Version" with your iPhone highlighted, it should switch to the Build Version. Mine is showing build 7A341.

Thanks

The GM may expire at some point. They aren't intended for general use.
  • Reply 93 of 380
    In addition there is the Spotlight search, purchasing movies, tv shows and audiobooks via the iTunes store on the phone, the stock app had an overhaul (in landscape and swiping on the graph at the bottom), Safari is supposed to run faster, stereo bluetooth, syncing your notes, shake to shuffle (kind of a cool function) in addition to what you mentioned... eventually MMS and tethering... we'll see how long that takes... oh and in-app purchases, peer-to-peer games, ability for developers to control their apps via the dock connector. A lot of stuff you don't really see on the surface I guess.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post

Anyone feeling post-update depression yet?

Seriously, after all the hype, except for the (boring) voice memo app and Spotlight there is essentially no difference on the surface between 2.2.1 and 3.0. I knew this beforehand of course, but one can't help but feel a bit of a letdown when the reality of the very minor changes hits home.

One note:

The update doesn't activate the Apple in-ear headphones as some had expected. I know that Apple carefully never said these headphones would work with the iPhone, but I know a lot were expecting they would after the update.

They don't.

• Reply 94 of 380
    Can't join my Airport Express Network however.

After rebooting the Airport, I can connect now.
  • Reply 95 of 380
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member
    I just watched the engadget review with the 3.0 software. I'm impressed. I really like their copy and paste method as well as the video recording.

Seems like a decent step in the right direction.

Now the question on my mind: Upgrade to the touch pro 2 and renew my account with Sprint for another two years, or stick with my touch pro for another year and upgrade to next year's iphone. I mean, it finally has what I wanted initially.
  • Reply 96 of 380
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kavlo26 View Post

Is there shake to shuffle for the ipod touch as well or is it only for the iphone? Just curious before I update it later today.

Why? Would that one feature determine if you upgrade?
  • Reply 97 of 380
    i chose to "Back Up" when i started doing the update. i'm at my computer at work though, which is not where i sync my phone. it's not going to try and sync with itunes here at work right?
  • Reply 98 of 380
    Yes shake to shuffle works on the touch as well.

Quote:

• Reply 99 of 380
    Quote:

Shaking changes the song in shuffle mode I presume.
  • Reply 100 of 380
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Nice.

Updated. No issues.