Apple releases iPhone Software 3.0

Comments

• Reply 141 of 380
    tazinlwfltazinlwfl Posts: 117member
    OMG my camera is SO much faster now on my 2G... God this makes it worth it.

And being able to quick-launch it by double-tapping home... SWEET!
  • Reply 142 of 380
    When typing an e-mail, if you are starting a new line (with the capitalization automatically on for the next word) the screen will not allow you to edit your prose. The magnifying glass refuses to open and only Cut/Copy/Paste will work with taps. You must complete a word first before editing is again allowed.
  • Reply 143 of 380
    msanttimsantti Posts: 1,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by yardsale View Post

Just doesnt seem like its worht 9.99$ for my ipod touch to give me what? Landskape keyboard, copy and paste, and a better calander....

Don't buy it.

I don't think Apple will lose any sleep.
  • Reply 144 of 380
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by csimmons View Post

Yeah, because those 2 or 3 cups of Starbucks coffee for the same price is a much better deal...

Certainly is! Now im craving!
  • Reply 145 of 380
    The download went successfully for my iPhone 3G with latest 2.2.1 but after it extracts and iTunes goes into "backup" mode...it just hangs.... I let it run for over 30 minutes but nothing happens. I had to force quit iTunes and re-booted the iPhone.... but the same thing happens. Any ideas on getting the iPhone and iTunes to sync properly?
  • Reply 146 of 380
    After download and a backup, I got 3.0 up and running on my 16GB 3G in just over 10 minutes. I wouldn't call the new OS "snappy", but Spotlight and Cut/Paste definitely work as advertised and are well worth the upgrade.

Unfortunately, iTunes is now crashing on me when I try to Sync. Anyone else getting an error related to iTunes Store (-4) error? I imagine Apple HQ is currently melting given all the upgrades and iTunes Store hits - but still, I would have hoped for a more descriptive error message...
  • Reply 147 of 380
    As 3.0 is now live, anyone know when the Tomtom sat nav will be released ?
  • Reply 148 of 380
    raa-yraa-y Posts: 1member
    I've been using the 3.0 software, and the MMS and Internet Tethering is amazing.

US, you don't know what you're missing :-)

As a fact, I am posting this reply on my Mac, which is tethered to my iPhone xD. And it is so fast, even on EDGE :-D
  • Reply 149 of 380
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Who makes the best stereo bluetooth headet? Anybody?

Who are they?
  • Reply 150 of 380
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post

10 minutes for me on a 16GB iPhone, (after download) but the download is dependant on your connection of course.

Edit: Done! (woo-hoo etc.)

My battery life on my 3G is worse.
  • Reply 151 of 380
    Download took slightly longer probably due to the load on servers.

Update went flawlessly on 2g (Generation 1) iPhone. The update process seemed to take less overall time once the download completed compared to last year's 2.0 update.

The apps seem to open initially a bit faster and transitions between applications seem very slightly faster. The integration of contacts and calendars between local computer contacts/calendars and Exchange contacts (and GAL)/calendars is a welcome addition. I now have local calendar from iCal, Google public calendar, as well as work Exchange calendars integrated in one view in the calendar application. The Copy/Paste, Voice Memos, Youtube account access, Notes sync all seem to work well.

The only observation that may be negative thus far is that the iTunes Backup seems to take longer although not as long as it took several firmware versions ago when it was excruciatingly slow.

Overall, I think Apple has done a superb job on this major release. Now on to test all my 3rd party applications.

As an update, I am having issues with Sync Notes.
  • Reply 152 of 380
    ikueikue Posts: 5member
    Has anyone updated their iPod touch 2nd gen yet? I'm wondering if it comes with all the extra software as the iPhone like the compass (which I doubt works) or the recorder app...

I wish users we able to update right from their devices. I have to wait another 4 hours before I can get home to plug it into iTunes.
  • Reply 153 of 380
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by IYFCalvin View Post

The download went successfully for my iPhone 3G with latest 2.2.1 but after it extracts and iTunes goes into "backup" mode...it just hangs.... I let it run for over 30 minutes but nothing happens. I had to force quit iTunes and re-booted the iPhone.... but the same thing happens. Any ideas on getting the iPhone and iTunes to sync properly?

It took over 55 minutes for the entire process for me. Perhaps you just didn't give it enough time.
  • Reply 154 of 380
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member
    I'm surprised to not see other people unable to come out of emergency only mode. Any tips on how to get it to activate after the update?
  • Reply 155 of 380
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

I'm surprised to not see other people unable to come out of emergency only mode. Any tips on how to get it to activate after the update?

I had to restart my phone in order for it to activate.

Also, it took a few tries to get iTunes to connect to the iTunes Store before my iPhone would fully appear in iTunes and show whats on my iPhone.
  • Reply 156 of 380
    Just downloaded 3.0 on my 16GB iPhone here in the UK. MMS works alright and the other features are as expected.

But does anyone feel as though their iPhone has got significantly slower?

My phone takes longer to start up, the apps store takes at least 1 minute to show any icons and apps generally take longer to open.

Anyone having this problem?
  • Reply 157 of 380
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    If anyone is having issues downloading the update or just wants to download it manually (not through iTunes) click the link below. You will have to take the .zip off it (DO NOT expand the zip file!) and then launch iTunes and hold down the option key while clicking check for update and it will pop a sheet down asking where the file is. Just point finder to the file.

http://appldnld.apple.com.edgesuite....1_Restore.ipsw
  • Reply 158 of 380
    coffeetimecoffeetime Posts: 116member
    Went into iTunes to activate the Notes sync, checked the box, clicked on the Apply button, and the checked box became unchecked. Also told it to sync my address book contacts. Taking frigging FOREVER to back up my iPhone!!! Also tried the Find my Mac feature (the Mac Observer has a step-by-step on how to configure everything). Logged into MobileMe from my Mac, clicked on the Accounts button, and it sat there trying to load and finally gave up. Tried it several times - server must be overloaded. Also tried copying text from Safari (on my iPhone) into the Notes application - no go, although it worked for a new email. Should be interesting playing around with 3.0 to see what works and what doesn't.
  • Reply 159 of 380
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macxpress View Post

I had to restart my phone in order for it to activate.

No dice, still telling me to check my network connection. Maybe I'll reboot...
  • Reply 160 of 380
    I have several family members with 1st Gen iPhone and some with 3G. Not all have high speed internet. Anyone have a link to download the 3.0 software without going through iTunes?