Apple releases iPhone Software 3.0

Comments

• Reply 161 of 380
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by johnwatson_2003 View Post

Just downloaded 3.0 on my 16GB iPhone here in the UK. MMS works alright and the other features are as expected.

But does anyone feel as though their iPhone has got significantly slower?

My phone takes longer to start up, the apps store takes at least 1 minute to show any icons and apps generally take longer to open.

Anyone having this problem?

So far, everything seems a bit faster.
  • Reply 162 of 380
    icibaquicibaqu Posts: 278member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

A festering annoyance in the UI is the inability to quickly arrange apps via iTunes instead of on the phone/touch. It's a bleedin' chore!

AMEN!

have you emailed this feedback to apple?
  • Reply 163 of 380
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,801member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by texasmac View Post

I have several family members with 1st Gen iPhone and some with 3G. Not all have high speed internet. Anyone have a link to download the 3.0 software without going through iTunes?

http://appldnld.apple.com.edgesuite....1_Restore.ipsw

See my post above for the directions on how to update through iTunes when the file was downloaded manually.

POST 155
  • Reply 164 of 380
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

It took over 55 minutes for the entire process for me. Perhaps you just didn't give it enough time.

Thank you... I guess 30 minutes wasn't enough... I rebooted everything, then plugged back in for the intall process and it finally did it after some 20 mins or so.

It was just weird because during the "backup" process, the progress bar just hung in the middle and didn't move for 30 mins. I thought it had frozen
  • Reply 165 of 380
    i've just installed the 3.0 software and my iphone rebooted, it shows the picture asking me to connect it to itunes....but nothing happens in itunes, except it show the message of "iTune store error".....and my phone just freeze on the "connecting itune" screen...
  • Reply 166 of 380
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,801member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ho_ching View Post

i've just installed the 3.0 software and my iphone rebooted, it shows the picture asking me to connect it to itunes....but nothing happens in itunes, except it show the message of "iTune store error".....and my phone just freeze on the "connecting itune" screen...

You need to keep trying to connect to the iTunes Store. It took me about 6-7 times and I kept getting the same error. Eventually it worked! With everyone and their brother trying to update/activate at once its putting a strain on the servers.
  • Reply 167 of 380
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macxpress View Post

You need to keep trying to connect to the iTunes Store. It took me about 6-7 times and I kept getting the same error. Eventually it worked! With everyone and their brother trying to update/activate at once its putting a strain on the servers.

Yep. Rebooting didn't help either. So I'm going to keep hammering at it and hope! I've gotten the error probably 20 times now, I'm on FIOS so it's not internet speed either.
  • Reply 168 of 380
    pairof9spairof9s Posts: 67member
    I've gotten iTunes to successfully download the 3.0 upgrade. But when I ask it to Update my iPhone (1G), I get an error message after extraction saying the "iPhone cannot be updated at this time because the iPhone activation server is temporarily unavailable."

It says to try again later. I've been trying for the last 20 minutes.

Anyone else seeing this?
  • Reply 169 of 380
    khkookhkoo Posts: 32member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by cameronj

I'm surprised to not see other people unable to come out of emergency only mode. Any tips on how to get it to activate after the update?

I have same problem and "We could not complete your iTunes Store request An unknown error occurred (-9807)" message from iTunes. I restarted my iphone and computer but still have same problem. Anyone knows how to fix this problem?
  • Reply 170 of 380
    xaoxao Posts: 30member
    YUP, getting the exact same error.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by pairof9s View Post

I've gotten iTunes to successfully download the 3.0 upgrade. But when I ask it to Update my iPhone (1G), I get an error message after extraction saying the "iPhone cannot be updated at this time because the iPhone activation server is temporarily unavailable."

It says to try again later. I've been trying for the last 20 minutes.

Anyone else seeing this?

• Reply 171 of 380
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Xao View Post

YUP, getting the exact same error.

Getting the exact same thing here. 1G iPhone.
  • Reply 172 of 380
    jto654jto654 Posts: 1member
    Anyone else notice how there are Palm Pre ads all over everything that says iPhone on it today?
  • Reply 173 of 380
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:

"iPhone activation server is temporarily unavailable."

And me...
  • Reply 174 of 380
    iphoniaciphoniac Posts: 23member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macxpress View Post

If anyone is having issues downloading the update or just wants to download it manually (not through iTunes) click the link below. You will have to take the .zip off it (DO NOT expand the zip file!) and then launch iTunes and hold down the option key while clicking check for update and it will pop a sheet down asking where the file is. Just point finder to the file.

http://appldnld.apple.com.edgesuite....1_Restore.ipsw

Where can I get a similar link for the iPhone 3G?

I am stuck on beta 5 and don't have the GM version, so it still won't upgrade me since I technically have OS 3.0.

Thanks
  • Reply 175 of 380
    khkookhkoo Posts: 32member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ho_ching View Post

same problem here.
  • Reply 176 of 380
    Well I got through the whole download. It took about 15 minutes. My iPhone was automatically restarted and I got the "Network Connection Timed Out" and now I can only make emergency calls from my phone now. Anyone else having this issue? i am not receiving calls either. Do I have to go up to the AT&T store and re-activate it once I get the new OS downloaded?
  • Reply 177 of 380
    coffeetimecoffeetime Posts: 116member
    OK, well my first sync with iTunes finally finished (like I said, the backup took forever). The notes on my iPhone did not sync with the notes in Apple's Mail app, so I tried it again. I checked the Notes checkbox in iTunes and hit Apply, and it spun the beachball for a few seconds and then the Notes item unchecked itself, the iPhone synced, and still no updated Notes. Can anyone see if they can get this to work?
  • Reply 178 of 380
    tenguytenguy Posts: 21member
    The download started at 1:16 CDT & ended at 1:20 CDT. The software works as as advertised but 3 attempts to access the Store on my phone resulted in 3 error messages (shows "Error -4). Will try again later.
  • Reply 179 of 380
    jerseymacjerseymac Posts: 408member
    The iPhone activation server is temporarily unavailable. I guess I'll have to get it when I get home from work! Blast!
  • Reply 180 of 380
    The 3.0 update has killed my iPhone. It's a brick now. iTunes store error or says "iTunes cannot connect with this iPhone" or something similar.

How many other bricks out there already? Twitter is hopping about it at the moment.