Apple releases iPhone Software 3.0

Comments

• Reply 181 of 380
    The update was successful after encountering some of the problems mentioned in earlier posts. I just kept syncing and it eventually worked. The problem is that only Apple apps show up, as well as Bento for iPhone. I did select all other apps in iTunes but they will not sync. Anyone with the same problem? Is this because my apps are not 3.0 compatible?
  • Reply 182 of 380
    bergermeisterbergermeister Posts: 6,784member
    Updated both my iPhone 3G and my iPod Touch without any problems.

Great update; now I'm just waiting for my new 3GS!
  • Reply 183 of 380
    joeypk07joeypk07 Posts: 16member
    These issues happened to me last year... it's the mad rush with everyone updating, if I recall this also happens around Christmas too with the iTunes store.
  • Reply 184 of 380
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Who are they?

You mean: what are they?
  • Reply 185 of 380
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jto654 View Post

Anyone else notice how there are Palm Pre ads all over everything that says iPhone on it today?

I have adblock for safari installed...

(http://burgersoftware.com/en/safariadblock)

(http://safariadblock.sourceforge.net)
  • Reply 186 of 380
    Downloaded the software, installed and just as the iPhone was rebooting i got an error message. Everytime i try to complete the update iTunes is trying to connect to the Store and then telling me the network was reset and to check my connection and try again. I did this 10 times now to no avail.

Plugged it into my other Macbook but it can't connect to the iPhone because its locked with a password. So now my iPhone is stuck with in multi-language mode, No Service, Locked and useless. Cheers Apple!!

Hopefully it's the server on overload and will complete later.
  • Reply 187 of 380
    idleidle Posts: 49member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by VertiGoGo View Post

The 3.0 update has killed my iPhone. It's a brick now. iTunes store error or says "iTunes cannot connect with this iPhone" or something similar.

How many other bricks out there already? Twitter is hopping about it at the moment.

It's most likely not bricked...just keep physically re-connecting your iPhone until things work. It looks like it's taking most people 5-10 tries.
  • Reply 188 of 380
    ernstcsernstcs Posts: 27member
    Great, now I get to wait for the activation servers to come back up. Wasn't this the same problem the last time?
  • Reply 189 of 380
    pairof9spairof9s Posts: 67member
    Although I d/l the 3.0 update well enough, I can't update currently due to the iPhone activation server being down or overloaded. I've been trying for over 30 minutes on just this one step.

That stated, and after reading some of these initial posts, I'm going to wait until I get home this evening. I'm going to review further posts and see if 3.0 is turning out to be more trouble than it's worth (frozen phones, flaky iTunes, long backups, missing applications, feature bugs, etc.)

/
  • Reply 190 of 380
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jerseymac View Post

The iPhone activation server is temporarily unavailable. I guess I'll have to get it when I get home from work! Blast!

The same is happening to me in Barcelona. I've been trying since 1 hour ago and the message keeps the same for two different iPhone 3G.

Still trying...
  • Reply 191 of 380
    cinacina Posts: 4member
    I have just updated my iPhone (8GB original) to v3.0. All seemed to go well until the iPhone restarted, connected to iTunes and then I get an iTunes error message that says:

We could not complete your iTunes Store request. An Unknown error occurred (-4)

There was an error in the iTunes store. Please try again later.

I can manually connect to the iTunes store but when I connect the iPhone, I get the above error. Thus, it is not activating my service. The phone was stuck on the initial 'plug the usb cable into iTunes' screen.

Finally, after about 30 minutes of trying (turning the phone off, exiting iTunes, again and again) it finally connected to the iTunes store and it appears that I have my phone back.
  • Reply 192 of 380
    idleidle Posts: 49member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by texasmac View Post

I have several family members with 1st Gen iPhone and some with 3G. Not all have high speed internet. Anyone have a link to download the 3.0 software without going through iTunes?

It's linked in a number of places in this entirely-too-huge thread...just do a search in the forum for "appldnld" (the first part of the web address for the link) and you should find it.
  • Reply 193 of 380
    Activation server temporarily unavailable.
  • Reply 194 of 380
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ho_ching View Post

i've just installed the 3.0 software and my iphone rebooted, it shows the picture asking me to connect it to itunes....but nothing happens in itunes, except it show the message of "iTune store error".....and my phone just freeze on the "connecting itune" screen...

I had the same problem... took several re-connects 'till it finally right. The error message is very non-descript:
    "We could not complete your iTunes Store request. An unknown error occurred (-4). There was an error in the iTunes Store. Please try again later."

I was on hold with Apple Support when it finally worked & activated.
  • Reply 195 of 380
    Did exactly the same to me but is ok now. The server is just overloaded. Leave it a while try again and it'll eventually sync up.
  • Reply 196 of 380
    estyleestyle Posts: 201member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Who makes the best stereo bluetooth headset? Anybody?

I recommend the Oakley Rokr Pro sunglasses

handles phone calls and music at the same time.

it is great for running biking and looking cool

i get several hours of continuous music play on a single charge

now that the iphone has stereo bluetooth i won't have to attach the silly thing in the bottom of the phone to transmit the music

About time!http://forums.appleinsider.com/image...s/1biggrin.gif

and you can change the lenses
  • Reply 197 of 380
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    HEY YOU GUYS!!!

APPLES SERVERS ARE BORKED BY THE DEMAND!!!! IT SUCKS BUT YOUR PHONES AREN'T "BRICKED" AND THE UPDATE DIDN'T BREAK ANYTHING!!!

Sorry to shout but how many people are going to come here and post the same error message and express their despair?

Either wait a while or keep reconnecting your phone. In an hour or two all will be well.
  • Reply 198 of 380
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Steve Jobs leaves - the whole place falls apart!
  • Reply 199 of 380
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

HEY YOU GUYS!!!

APPLES SERVERS ARE BORKED BY THE DEMAND!!!! IT SUCKS BUT YOUR PHONES AREN'T "BRICKED" AND THE UPDATE DIDN'T BREAK ANYTHING!!!

Sorry to shout but how many people are going to come here and post the same error message and express their despair?

Either wait a while or keep reconnecting your phone. In an hour or two all will be well.

The server says temporarily unavailable!
  • Reply 200 of 380
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    With the apparent activation overload bogging everything down...

Looks like the safer bet would have been to pirate a copy one day early and install before the mad rush. How's that for irony?