AT&T drops iPhone 3G S prices for early iPhone 3G adopters

Comments

• Reply 61 of 206
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    HEY wtf

Did anyone watch the AT&T VIDEO ?

It clearly spells put some great news and you will also get mms and tethring .

I have never seen such a bunch of mistaken cry babie's in my life.

In fact even if you bought in december you may still get the early upgrade .

Wait two weeks and go in person.

good luck all on iphone day !!!

OF note itunes has some 99cts movies for rental .

• Reply 62 of 206
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

So I guess "early adopter" is a variant on "loyal customer"?

People are rattling on as if having purchased an iPhone 3G soon after its release is something laudable and they deserve a cookie.

How does that conceivably make any sense? Do people imagine that they did AT&T a favor by sticking their neck out and buying a phone? And then they were betrayed even though they were AN EARLY ADOPTER AND LOYAL CUSTOMER!

I think it's fine that AT&T is hastening the re-up window by a few months, but I still think the way people are talking about this is crazy. Worse, it's infected the general tech press, who are reacting to the online chatter as if it were proof that AT&T had gone crazy and was busily executing puppies.

I want a thorough investigation. People who have had another smart phone with another carrier- say a BlackBerry on Verizon-- for less than two years, go on over to the Verizon store and demand new customer pricing. If it's not forthcoming, you MUST GO CRAZY AND BITCH AND MOAN ENDLESSLY ON TEH INTERNETS.

Right? Or is it only AT&T and the iPhone that require pandering?

I agree 100%
  • Reply 63 of 206
    lamewinglamewing Posts: 742member
    It is funny that so many people are complaining about this situation. Why are iphone users in an uproar. I have a 2 year contract with Sprint and I don't get to reduce the period of time before I can upgrade to a new phone at a lower price. New phones are released every years yet have to wait 2 years...as per my contract. AT&T should not give anyone a break; a contract is a contract. Sorry if a new phone comes out....but come on guys, Apple has released an new iPhone every year now. Did everyone expect something different?

If folks want to put AT&T in its place...don't buy another iPhone until AT&T and Apple feel the pinch on their profits.
  • Reply 64 of 206
    ismofamismofam Posts: 41member
    Well I bought mine on the first day. Today ATT web site had the following note regarding my eligibility.

"Phone Upgrade

As a valued AT&T customer, we can offer you a discounted iPhone upgrade at a higher price, along with a 2-year commitment and an $18 upgrade fee. Please proceed with the online upgrade process for pricing details. You may qualify for a full discount on a standard iPhone upgrade on 12/12/2009"

I am curious what it will say tomorrow. I hope they will let me upgrade at subsidized price, otherwise I will wait till next year. Makes no sense to me to upgrade in December (just half a year before I wold expect even newer iPhone version) with a two year contract extension...
  • Reply 65 of 206
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bageljoey View Post

I still don't understand all the whining. When you bought the iPhone 3G before, you agreed to a two year contract and in return, at&t gave you a discount or a subsidy on the price of that 3G phone. There is no qualification for "loyal customers" or "early adopters" that says "you guys are special so we will just count that subsidy as a loss and help you buy another one when the next version comes out in only a year."

Some people seem to have a sense of entitlement that I find rather sad.

I really don't understand why coddling of these people who don't want to honor their contract...

Also, 100% agree. Why are the folks who bought the first phones special? Why do they deserve special treatment? Early adopter entitlement my arse.
  • Reply 66 of 206
    sigs21sigs21 Posts: 82member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fraklinc View Post

This must be a joke cause no one that brought the 3G last year at launch will qualify and those that qualify have been eligible for a upgrade for over a year now cause they brought the 1st gen iphone without it being subsidy. AT&T is doing nothing here really if you think about it.

I bought mine on launch day and just got off the phone with ATT exec offices. (on other complaint.. And I can get two for 199$ on june 19th and can order tommorrow.. Hell ya..
  • Reply 67 of 206
    sigs21sigs21 Posts: 82member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lamewing View Post

It is funny that so many people are complaining about this situation. Why are iphone users in an uproar. I have a 2 year contract with Sprint and I don't get to reduce the period of time before I can upgrade to a new phone at a lower price. New phones are released every years yet have to wait 2 years...as per my contract. AT&T should not give anyone a break; a contract is a contract. Sorry if a new phone comes out....but come on guys, Apple has released an new iPhone every year now. Did everyone expect something different?

If folks want to put AT&T in its place...don't buy another iPhone until AT&T and Apple feel the pinch on their profits.

Because most I phone users are apple fans .. And we constently need the new product.. plus it has f-nnn video now...
  • Reply 68 of 206
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member
    It makes me very sad that all the bitching by the babies worked. Now we can all look forward to move bitching in the future.
  • Reply 69 of 206
    ismofamismofam Posts: 41member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brucep View Post

AT&T does a 360 and does almost all of what we wanted, Including MMS AND TETHERING.

360? - that sounds right

MMS AND TETHERING? - I will wait and see - probably they will ask for MORE money.
  • Reply 70 of 206
    adamiigsadamiigs Posts: 355member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brucep View Post

HEY wtf

Did anyone watch the AT&T VIDEO ?

It clearly spells put some great news and you will also get mms and tethring .

I have never seen such a bunch of mistaken cry babie's in my life.

In fact even if you bought in december you may still get the early upgrade .

Wait two weeks and go in person.

good luck all on iphone day !!!

OF note itunes has some 99cts movies for rental .

Actually as someone that did watch the video, what great news? We knew MMS and tethering was coming, if anything we found out that MMS will count as a regular text message but that tethering will be AN EXTRA CHARGE. Really that's great news?

I got my phone for $299 no crying / whining here, if anything I was bummed they held the phones back till friday shipping but big deal, I'll just watching the vids on apple's site 340 more times till then =D

I'm just pointing out there really isn't any great news on that vid, if anything we found out they will be charging for one of the new features not yet available in the US.

EIGHT
  • Reply 71 of 206
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sigs21 View Post

Because most I phone users are apple fans .. And we constently need the new product.. plus it has f-nnn video now...

Again, so what? What does your choice of OS have to do with AT&T providing you with a change in your contract? You signed it, live with it. It doesn't matter if the new phone has extra bells and whistles, if you want to add that new, fancy phone to your contract, you should not get the new customer discount.
  • Reply 72 of 206
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DHKOsta View Post

And what about those of us that are eligible in MARCH!?

You can keep whining.
  • Reply 73 of 206
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by IsmOfAm View Post

Well I bought mine on the first day. Today ATT web site had the following note regarding my eligibility.

"Phone Upgrade

As a valued AT&T customer, we can offer you a discounted iPhone upgrade at a higher price, along with a 2-year commitment and an $18 upgrade fee. Please proceed with the online upgrade process for pricing details. You may qualify for a full discount on a standard iPhone upgrade on 12/12/2009"

I am curious what it will say tomorrow. I hope they will let me upgrade at subsidized price, otherwise I will wait till next year. Makes no sense to me to upgrade in December (just half a year before I wold expect even newer iPhone version) with a two year contract extension...

Mine says the same thing (12/13/09). I already ordered mine and don't expect anything from AT&T since this eligibility update is for those who are eligible on Jun, July, August, and September.
  • Reply 74 of 206
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tomhayes View Post

My preorder is going to be returned un-opened.

Should have included people who bought iPhone 3G in July of last year regardless of the "upgrade eligibility" voodoo.

I pay $104 a month and on time and I am still not eligible until 12/12/2009.

I pre-ordered one at the premium knowing I could return it before opening it for a full refund - and that's what I'm still planning to do.

LOL!

So you're going to waste how much of your time to thumb your nose at ATT? And you really think they care? They'll hand your Iphone to the next guy in line who will happily pay what it costs.
  • Reply 75 of 206
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

It makes me very sad that all the bitching by the babies worked. Now we can all look forward to move bitching in the future.

No one bitches better than an Apple baby bitch.
  • Reply 76 of 206
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTripper View Post

IMMO, not a lot people have huge amounts of money to spend being upside down on their mortgages and all.

Being upside down on your mortgage doesn't impact how much money you have.
  • Reply 77 of 206
    tomhayestomhayes Posts: 128member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

LOL!

So you're going to waste how much of your time to thumb your nose at ATT? And you really think they care? They'll hand your Iphone to the next guy in line who will happily pay what it costs.

I care. I don't expect them to destroy the phone after I return it unopened. It just doesn't make sense for *me* to pay the extra $200 dollars.

I tried to cancel on Apple.com and could not. And I tried calling Apple to cancel and was on hold for 35 minutes before the dropped my call.

Or were you implying I thought there was some cosmic significance in my noble actions?? *You're telling us more about yourself than you mean to , me thinks.
  • Reply 78 of 206
    dagamer34dagamer34 Posts: 494member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacChad View Post

Um, no. Apparently not according to the records of AT&T and Apple - when I go through the process to order, it shows the higher prices, and states that I'm not eligible until 03/2010.

CORRECTION - I see now that their upgrade tools will be reflecting this change tomorrow. Sorry for my snarkiness. :-)

Odd. I got my iPhone 3G on July 22nd on a brand new contract and my upgrade eligibility date is in December. Not to mention I only just got my first credit card last March. What are the basing upgradability on?
  • Reply 79 of 206
    has anybody actually seen on the apple website the new adjusted qualifying price? I went to apple.com and tried to place my order, but it still says $499 for the 32 gig. I bought mine launch day last year 2008. Are there any other 2008-launch day 3G owners that have physically seen the new reflected amount?
  • Reply 80 of 206
    txappletxapple Posts: 5member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DustinLH00 View Post

Ok, since some people don't understand the upgrade eligibility...

If you purchased the iPhone 3G in July, August or September of last year AND...

You spend over $99.99 a month on the data and voice plan combined...

Then you will be eligible to upgrade early on Friday.

Remember, taxes, gps, fees, overages, etc... do not count toward that total dollar amount.

Any questions?

I do not think you are correct. I have the minimum voice and text plan so my bill is just under $100 per month including taxes, fees. I preordered through Apple and paid the $499. I purchased my 3g in July of 2008. I just called AT&T and they said the credit card that I used at the Apple store will not be charged $499, it will be charged $299. They confirmed that by indicating they will call my cell phone on June 20th at 3pm to confirm I was only billed the $299 and if I am charged the higher amount they will issue a refund. Sounds to me like they are going to take care of their customers. I called AT&T at 800.331.0500