Apple releases iPhone Software 3.0

Comments

• Reply 241 of 380
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Boogerman2000 View Post

Any notice how long it takes the keyboard to switch it's orientation to landscape, and back? I am using the first gen, 2g iphone and noticed this particularly when using the "Notes" app.

I have a 3G and it runs more quickly than that switch used on in Safari.

I just want to know about that battery icon.
  • Reply 242 of 380
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by technohermit View Post

I bypassed this just now by having the download complete in iTunes. Then clicked update, waited as software was about 50% extracted, then unplugged ethernet. Once the "Updating Firmware" was displayed I reconnected my ethernet cable.

Thank you! This is totally working for me right now!
  • Reply 243 of 380
    trajectorytrajectory Posts: 647member
    Apple is so stupid! I'm sure what's going to be the news about this iPhone 3.0 release is that no one could activate or use their phones because Apple's servers went into meltdown. Apple hasn't done a single iPhone release yet without activation problems. When will they learn??
  • Reply 244 of 380
    downloaded... just cant install..."the iPhone activation server is temporarily unavailable..."
  • Reply 245 of 380
    akoeltzakoeltz Posts: 6member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dfiler View Post

But why?

The thief can just turn the phone off and then wipe it. There's no way around this.

Power cycling the phone must always be possible without supplying a password. Otherwise, phones would get bricked on a regular basis when they crash to the point of not allowing user interaction.

Because I said so, it would make me happy! LOL I understand what you're saying, my first thought when they announced this feature was that it wasn't going to help much against theft which is unfortunate. Fortunately a lot of thieves aren't bright enough to figure that out so there's still hope....
  • Reply 246 of 380
    I thought 3.0 had a video recorder feature ??

Hummm....
  • Reply 247 of 380
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lizardhowson View Post

Hummm....

Video record is a hardware limitation, not software......
  • Reply 248 of 380
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lizardhowson View Post

Hummm....

It's based on hardware, therefore the 3G S.
  • Reply 249 of 380
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Trajectory View Post

Apple is so stupid! I'm sure what's going to be the news about this iPhone 3.0 release is that no one could activate or use their phones because Apple's servers went into meltdown. Apple hasn't done a single iPhone release yet without activation problems. When will they learn??

There's already a story on cnet.com. They describe it as "scattered" but it seems more widespread than that.
  • Reply 250 of 380
    radster360radster360 Posts: 546member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fruitymac View Post

downloaded... just cant install..."the iPhone activation server is temporarily unavailable..."

Yep! Download wasn't painful, but I keep getting the same error also.
  • Reply 251 of 380
    Although there aren't many visible indications of upgrade outside cut & paste and the spectacular Spotlight, I think most of the worth in this upgrade will be clear with future apps becoming available. The upgrade facilitates a lot of features that will enhance the apps. Already, some of my apps are providing game packs(i.e., Flick Fishing via Freeverse and Enigmo via Pangea Software). I think this upgrade is worth the 9.99 for itouch owners. Spotlight is great for a quick launcher.
  • Reply 252 of 380
    msanttimsantti Posts: 1,377member
    Funny how everyone has to have the 3.0 update NOW.

Didn't this happen during 2.0 also?
  • Reply 253 of 380
    I had a hard time upgrading with the last major OS release. Today I had the same issues with 3.0. I've learned that You have to just keep reconnecting to Itunes and eventually the upgrade will connect to the Apple servers. I agree that Apple should address the issue especially since their i-phone customer base continues to grow at such a rapid rate.
  • Reply 254 of 380
    aizmovaizmov Posts: 989member
    Thank you Apple!

I'm loving all the new features.

How did I live without Spotlight?
  • Reply 255 of 380
    not able to activate. noses are gonna roll.
  • Reply 256 of 380
    kulak18kulak18 Posts: 16member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by estyle View Post

Just keep retrying ... I did that for about 15 minutes until I was one of the lucky ones and got through.

It is like trying to call a radio call-line. you just have to keep trying

Finally it went through. Thanks
  • Reply 257 of 380
    abster2coreabster2core Posts: 2,501member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

Safari loading unbelievably fast.

Thank you Apple. And Rogers

Just ran Google Maps and Maps. Fast. As well, Skype is working beautifully,\\.

By the way, I reset my Statistics Settings. Will be interest how much more data I will be using.
  • Reply 258 of 380
    rbonnerrbonner Posts: 635member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DHKOsta View Post

Numeric battery!!!

How do you set that up?
  • Reply 259 of 380
    "subscribe to calendars with new CalDAV support"

Anybody know how to subscribe to a Cal?
  • Reply 260 of 380
    Quote: