Apple holds up iPhone 3G S deliveries ahead of 3.0 software

Comments

• Reply 61 of 81
    juanitojuanito Posts: 14member
    My tracking page no longer shows The exceptions. Any one else? Possible UPS glitch? Most likely since it no longer mentions any US activity. just thought i'd mention it.\
  • Reply 62 of 81
    As we all know they said that apple had requested the package be held... The did say that they can't be sent out until friday BUT apple was kind enough to give us all early morning delivery.... Hope that helps.
  • Reply 63 of 81
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

This isn't the first time this particular situation has come up. Apple has several times in the past shipped products such as iLife and iWork ahead of their launch date. In some of those cases, customers actually received their orders early but were later asked to surrender them back to the shipping company for re-delivery a few days later at Apple's request.

I'm having a real hard time believing this. Where's the source of this info? It sounds more like an urban legend or a story that got "improved" as it got passed through the grapevine.
  • Reply 64 of 81
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dfiler View Post

I'm having a real hard time believing this. Where's the source of this info? It sounds more like an urban legend or a story that got "improved" as it got passed through the grapevine.

It did happen with one product, though I don't remember which one. It could have been last year. I'm not sure on that.
  • Reply 65 of 81
    rbonnerrbonner Posts: 635member
    I also got my notification today, for my pre-order made the day after the release. My delivery is for the 22nd in the UPS system.

Called Apple, they swear it will be here on Friday, wondering if anyone else has the same thing going on.

I would not normally care, but I was traveling and had it delivered to my hotel so I could play with it. With the delay, not sure how I will get it back to my home.
  • Reply 66 of 81
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

It did happen with one product, though I don't remember which one. It could have been last year. I'm not sure on that.

I'd believe it was reported as happening. But again, what's the source?

It would seem more likely that drivers from a few distribution centers got sent out to look for boxes still on porches because the managers didn't want to look bad. Or perhaps some even knocked on doors. Or perhaps the shipping company decided to try and better meet their obligations to the sender of the packages.

It seems preposterous that Apple would request for shipping companies to retrieve products already in use by customers. So preposterous in fact that it seems logical to disbelieve these vaguely reported facts.

I could certainly be wrong. But without more evidence, the safe bet is that the sky is still blue no matter if someone is reporting it as being green.
  • Reply 67 of 81
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

It's a fair request.

I recall there was a story about that on this very site. I can't find it, in part because I can't set my Google search to force matched caps on my search terms.
  • Reply 68 of 81
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

I'd believe it was reported as happening. But again, what's the source?

It would seem more likely that drivers from a few distribution centers got sent out to look for boxes still on porches because the managers didn't want to look bad. Or perhaps some even knocked on doors. Or perhaps the shipping company decided to try and better meet their obligations to the sender of the packages.

It seems preposterous that Apple would request for shipping companies to retrieve products already in use by customers. So preposterous in fact that it seems logical to disbelieve these vaguely reported facts.

I could certainly be wrong. But without more evidence, the safe bet is that the sky is still blue no matter if someone is reporting it as being green.

It does seem preposterous. But I believe we had an article here about it. Not sure how to look it up though.
  • Reply 69 of 81
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

It does seem preposterous. But I believe we had an article here about it. Not sure how to look it up though.

I briefly tried to look it up but failed.

No doubt it existed. But I'd bet that the original article was a mischaracterization of actual events. The telephone game frequently wreaks havoc on news reports.

Edit: To not continue the telephone game, I suppose I should be more precise. I can't remember the original article so perhaps it was would seem more probable than this one. All I can say is that what was reported in this article seems improbable. It is improbable that Apple requested for shippers to try and retrieve Apple products already in the hands of customers.
  • Reply 70 of 81
    adamiigsadamiigs Posts: 355member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rbonner View Post

I also got my notification today, for my pre-order made the day after the release. My delivery is for the 22nd in the UPS system.

Called Apple, they swear it will be here on Friday, wondering if anyone else has the same thing going on.

I would not normally care, but I was traveling and had it delivered to my hotel so I could play with it. With the delay, not sure how I will get it back to my home.

I still see EXCEPTION listed on my order.
  • Reply 71 of 81
    creemancreeman Posts: 3member
    Quote:

I briefly tried to look it up but failed.

No doubt it existed. But I'd bet that the original article was a mischaracterization of actual events. The telephone game frequently wreaks havoc on news reports.

Edit: To not continue the telephone game, I suppose I should be more precise. I can't remember the original article so perhaps it was would seem more probable than this one. All I can say is that what was reported in this article seems improbable. It is improbable that Apple requested for shippers to try and retrieve Apple products already in the hands of customers.

Are you talking about when Apple accidentally shipped mobile me boxes early? If so here is the link.
  • Reply 72 of 81
    adamiigsadamiigs Posts: 355member
    Umm my exception is gone with a new delivery date.... now they are just toying with my emotions, from the 18th, to the exception and request for hold, back to the 18th delivery.

< in the voice of captain kirk yelling khan > U P SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS </ in the voice of captain kirk yelling khan>

Quote:

Type: \t Package \t

In Transit - On Time

Scheduled Delivery: \t06/18/2009 \t

Shipped To: \tSAN DIEGO, CA, US \t

Shipped/Billed On: \t06/16/2009 \t

Product: \tWORLD EASE

Service: \tEXPRESS \t

Weight: \t.50 Kg

• Reply 73 of 81
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Juanito View Post

Blind Faith? Need an upgrade anyway. My Original iPhone screen cracked around may.

That makes total sense - good luck on your new purchase.
  • Reply 74 of 81
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bigmc6000 View Post

He's going to tell you those are all horrible reasons

Why would I?

His reason makes total sense unlike you whining, complaining fanbois who won't be statisfied once something goes wrong.
  • Reply 75 of 81
    Anyone else's 3g s not even out for delivery yet? I order on Monday the 8th and my order status still says prepared for shipment. How can it get here by Friday if it hasn't left China yet?
  • Reply 76 of 81
    rbonnerrbonner Posts: 635member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AdamIIGS View Post

Umm my exception is gone with a new delivery date.... now they are just toying with my emotions, from the 18th, to the exception and request for hold, back to the 18th delivery.

< in the voice of captain kirk yelling khan > U P SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS </ in the voice of captain kirk yelling khan>

I get the following:

Scheduled Deliveryt 06/22/2009\t

Shipped Tot RENO, NV, US\t

Shipped/Billed Ont 06/17/2009\t

Productt WORLD EASE

Servicet EXPRESS\t

Weightt .50 Kg

Apple still swears that it will come on Friday.
  • Reply 77 of 81
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by creeman View Post

Are you talking about when Apple accidentally shipped mobile me boxes early? If so here is the link.

Possibly. Did soomeone come to your door and take back your apple merchandise? (honest question)

That's a link to an AI article which cites a blog which cites a friend's characterization of what an Apple phone support person said. All that we have to go on is a 3rd (or 4th) hand account communicated in one sentence. On top of that, it is only a single report.

It doesn't even mention if the package was indeed taken back. And even if it were, was this corporate policy or just a few people handling it the way they thought they were supposed to?

I'm not saying that it can't be true. But rather that given the evidence, I'd think otherwise.

How many times has a phone support person told you things you knew were false? Or how many times has a store employee handled a transaction incorrectly? These are fairly common occurrences. On the other hand, how often do companies demand that you give back what you've already purchased and taken home? Something smells like the telephone game here.

Edit: I suppose he could reply and say, "yeah it was me that had to give back the product". But even then, unless reported by other people, I wouldn't consider it substantiated to say claim what the article claimed.
  • Reply 78 of 81
    robb01robb01 Posts: 148member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by city View Post

3.0 is here!

woot!

• Reply 79 of 81
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Got this email earlier today:

"Our carrier's website may have displayed an incorrect delivery date for your order. However, we expect your iPhone order to be delivered on time on June 19, 2009."

Sorry.. seems we won't get it tomorrow.
  • Reply 80 of 81
    jkozjkoz Posts: 48member
    As long as I get mine BY the 19th, I really don't care.

I have a pending sale on my old phone and am moving Sunday so if it arrives later, there may be problems.