VPN in Jaguar:

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
My company is fianlly letting me set up a VPN for my Mac OS 9 and OS X users. Whoot! I am testing now...

My corporate IT guy sent me the OS 9 software (Nortel Netlock) and my RSA Tokens (cool high tech gadgets that display a code number randomly).

I didn't receive any OS X software. I am wondering if Jag will let me access the VPN without 3rd party configs. If not, what can I use? I dont seen OS X stuff on the Nortel site.

Any ideas?

How do the tokesn work? I am puzzeled on who the VPN server and the token can synch code numbers in real time...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    Jag is supposed to support VPN natively ... I havn't tried it, but I recall running across the info when setting up my airport network with a Windows box.

Look through the Networking panel (in Jag) or the help center ... it should work.
  • Reply 2 of 13
    daveleedavelee Posts: 245member
    Not too sure about that (although it does support IPsec).

I have just successfully installed a VPN client (cisco) on my Mac in 10.2. The VPNclient v3.6 is the only one that seemed to work (v3.5 didn't want to play - issues with kextload vs kmodload). I also got a nice little GUI front end called VPNConnect 1.0, which makes things a lot easier (I am one of those who gets a little scared when you have to log into the terminal and install as root).

However, everything works very nicely.

Try Cisco VPNclient 3.6.

[ 10-10-2002: Message edited by: DaveLee ]

[ 10-10-2002: Message edited by: DaveLee ]</p>
  • Reply 3 of 13
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    Instead of using VPNConnect I started using a terminal command script. Basicall made a text edit file with this text:

cd /vpnclient*

./vpnconnect connect micro
    &lt;--(or whatever your profile name is)

name it vpnclient.command

go into the terminal and chmod the file using these arguments:

chmod u=rwx,go=rx /path/to/file/vpnclient.command

and voila! You have a file you can double click and it will open Terminal and enter in all the info for you that you provided in your profile (except a certificate password ).
  • Reply 4 of 13
    [quote]Originally posted by Outsider:

<strong>Instead of using VPNConnect I started using a terminal command script. Basicall made a text edit file with this text:

cd /vpnclient*

./vpnconnect connect micro
    &lt;--(or whatever your profile name is)

name it vpnclient.command

go into the terminal and chmod the file using these arguments:

chmod u=rwx,go=rx /path/to/file/vpnclient.command

and voila! You have a file you can double click and it will open Terminal and enter in all the info for you that you provided in your profile (except a certificate password ).</strong><hr></blockquote>

Do I really want that asterik * in there?

Where (dir) did you have your command in?

I'm still confused on how to connect because I have a RSA (keychain dongle) device with a LED numerical display that has a random number on it. that number must be entered at some point in order to authenticate and log on to my corporate WAN. I am assumming that I need special software from Nortel/Netlock that will prompt me for that random number ans sync the two numbers ...
  • Reply 5 of 13
    nijiniji Posts: 288member
    hi,

can anybody post a link to the cisco address for 3000 v3.6 for mac?

thnx
  • Reply 6 of 13
    I found a document at Apples website which made it extremely easy to set up VPN on 10.2, using internet connect: <a href="http://www.apple.com/switch/questions/sharing/vpn.html"; target="_blank">http://www.apple.com/switch/questions/sharing/vpn.html</a>;
  • Reply 7 of 13
    [quote]Originally posted by dstranathan:

<strong>

Do I really want that asterik * in there?

Where (dir) did you have your command in?

I'm still confused on how to connect because I have a RSA (keychain dongle) device with a LED numerical display that has a random number on it. that number must be entered at some point in order to authenticate and log on to my corporate WAN. I am assumming that I need special software from Nortel/Netlock that will prompt me for that random number ans sync the two numbers ...</strong><hr></blockquote>

The asterisk is a wild card. The folder may be vpnclient36 or vpnclient361 depending on the version. Actually I just do vpn*. And my directions were for the Cisco version of vpn if you are vpning into a Cisco box. For Nortel you may need to find their software or use Internet Connect app in the Applications folder. Open the app and choose from the File menu 'New VPN Connection Window'.
  • Reply 8 of 13
    kcmackcmac Posts: 1,051member
    Thanks Eric,

That is very quick and simple.
  • Reply 9 of 13
    xaqtlyxaqtly Posts: 450member
    It won't work in OS X. You're talking about Nortel, not Cisco. I have the exact setup you do, and there is no OS X solution. Apple's built in VPN stuff should work fine with Cisco VPNs but not Nortel. At least not yet. Nortel has assured us they're working on an OS X client, but there's no ETA.

FWIW it seems to work fine in OS 9.
  • Reply 10 of 13
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    um, you have a link to that 3.6 cisco client, or where i could take a look at it? my school is looking to switch everything over, and we'd like a GUI vpn for osx users rahter than a CLI.
  • Reply 11 of 13
    mcqmcq Posts: 1,543member
    There's a link for the cisco 3.6 client at the MacAchaia, it's

<a href="http://www.purdue.edu/itap/airlink/software/vpnclient-darwin-3.6.1.Rel-k9.tar.gz"; target="_blank">http://www.purdue.edu/itap/airlink/software/vpnclient-darwin-3.6.1.Rel-k9.tar.gz</a>;

There's no GUI for it right now that I'm aware of.
  • Reply 12 of 13
    Only VPNConnect 1.0.4 (free) but it's not official and I don't like it when using with certificate passwords. blah.
  • Reply 13 of 13
    Yes, I am connecting to a Nortel VPN switch using Netlock 3.1 software in OS 9. No version for OS X until November, but a Linux version in a few days will be out.