Apple releases iPhone Software 3.0

Comments

• Reply 301 of 380
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by davidT View Post

In your opinion what did apple do wrong????? They didn't promise that everybody would have the software updated right after they made it available, right? They made it available. Nothing stopping people waiting till tomorrow. It was pretty obvious there'd be millions of kids trying to download and activate right after its release.

Dude this is 2009! Apple doesn't have the server power to release software?

I guess that's why they need a North Carolina server farm. But really - your fanboi excuses are inexcusable.
  • Reply 302 of 380
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

I guess that's why they need a North Carolina server farm. But really - your fanboi excuses are inexcusable.

Remember last year when Apple opened a contract with a second provider in addition to Akami? They clearly know they need the bandwidth. They don't use their own servers, like most companies, they use companies that provide the service.
  • Reply 303 of 380
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Remember last year when Apple opened a contract with a second provider in addition to Akami? They clearly know they need the bandwidth. They don't use their own servers, like most companies, they use companies that provide the service.

lol, with someone on my ignore list I missed all the fun.

I wonder how Apple prepared for this release. My guess is they contacted akamai (or whomever they now have contracts with) and gave an estimate of how many users would want to download and what kind of bandwidth would be needed. They may have negotiated a separate deal for this release or it could be part of an existing contract.

So when the contracted servers go down, what's apple to do? At this point we don't know if Apple's estimates were incorrect, if akamai simply broke under the load, or if Apple considers momentary outages under extreme load to be the optimal tradeoff of expense vs quality of service.
  • Reply 304 of 380
    davidtdavidt Posts: 112member
    Quote:

not excusing anybody, just surprised to see so many complainers who want their software hours after it's released.

wait a few days and updating will be no problem.

i doubt apple cares whether you update your software right away, why would they?

and what's 2009 got to do with anything? people weren't downloading updates for mobile phones 50 years ago, so what are you comparing to?
  • Reply 305 of 380
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dfiler View Post

I wonder how Apple prepared for this release. My guess is they contacted akamai (or whomever they now have contracts with) and gave an estimate of how many users would want to download and what kind of bandwidth would be needed. They may have negotiated a separate deal for this release or it could be part of an existing contract.

So when the contracted servers go down, what's apple to do? At this point we don't know if Apple's estimates were incorrect, if akamai simply broke under the load, or if Apple considers momentary outages under extreme load to be the optimal tradeoff of expense vs quality of service.

At some point the cost to get more servers up on separate networks for such a short timeframe of need becomes a non-viable option. It may be that their contracted companies have done a perfect job for the amount of bandwidth and CPU cycles that they?ve had to deal with today. I?m going to theorize that Akamai probably wasn?t allowing employees take vacation this week. \
  • Reply 306 of 380
    olternautolternaut Posts: 1,376member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TimmyDax View Post

1) Voice Control is an iPhone 3GS feature, not a 3.0 feature. It outlines what is included in 3.0 on the apple site.

2) To quickly record memos et cetera, then either MMS the recordings, or sync to the iTunes playlist, as stated above.

Yeah.........but on an ipod touch that doesn't have a mic? I guess they expect you to buy an external mic for the ipod touch?

Anyways, I agree with the others who say that voice control should be on the iphone 3G (as well as a ipod touch g2 with a mic).

Gawd, that means voice control may be supported with the ipod touch G3.......if you buy a mic.

A lot of ifs.

*sigh*
  • Reply 307 of 380
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Apple isn't the only company that has these issues.

It's a question of a few hours mess for some, vs a few hundred million $ of capacity. Which do you think companies will choose?

By tomorrow, these problems will have gone away.

Meanwhile, many of us have upgraded without problems, and have been using our phones since the early afternoon.

I downloaded and installed 3.0 right after the Update became available without any trouble. Then I went out for the afternoon, and have been enjoying my "new snappiness" ever since!

I'm just getting home and am surprised to learn that people have been having difficulties. Too bad. I knew downloads would be high, but after last year's iPocalypse I didn't think there'd be any server bottlenecks. Hopefully the problem(s) will be cleared up by tomorrow (if it isn't already).
  • Reply 308 of 380
    t-bonet-bone Posts: 23member
    Don't think I saw this in the discussion, but after a smooth upgrade that took about 30 minutes, I noticed that my APN settings were blank and my contacts were gone.

I've entered the APN settings again, but having problems re-syncing my contacts to my 16GB iPhone. I've switched the me.com syncing for contacts off then back on to see if that would fix it, but didn't.

Has anyone else had this problem and how did you fix it?
  • Reply 309 of 380
    scowlsscowls Posts: 8member
    It still doesn't search the entire address book entry - I have keywords in the notes section that I use often in address book to find people, but the search feature still doesn't look in that field (and possibly other fields). Still a big improvement since now at least it searches the company field.
  • Reply 310 of 380
    olternautolternaut Posts: 1,376member
    Quote:

Thanks much. I will go into the Sony Style store tomorrow and check out what they have.

The one you have looks like there is still a small cord?

Yeah. But the cord is very short. It connects the buds together and is connected to the on/off/pairing button.

I'm holding it right now.....gawd their small. But strangely larger than regular earbuds. 8 hour initial charge then 2.5 hours to charge it thereafter. I will have to wait till tomorrow morning to try em out.
  • Reply 311 of 380
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Olternaut View Post

Yeah.........but on an ipod touch that doesn't have a mic? I guess they expect you to buy an external mic for the ipod touch?

Anyways, I agree with the others who say that voice control should be on the iphone 3G (as well as a ipod touch g2 with a mic).

Gawd, that means voice control may be supported with the ipod touch G3.......if you buy a mic.

A lot of ifs.

*sigh*

As it has been stated, the iPhone 3GS uses the Home Button for Voice Control, not a virtual button as that would pretty much defeat the purpose of the feature if you had to access the device and then locate an app to use it.

The iPod Touch doesn?t currently have a mic but the G2 has the same line-in/out jack as the iPhone that allows for the mic, headphones and controls for voice notes or whatever. It?s conceivable that the next Touch will get a mic, too.
  • Reply 312 of 380
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by davidT View Post

not excusing anybody, just surprised to see so many complainers who want their software hours after it's released.

wait a few days and updating will be no problem.

i doubt apple cares whether you update your software right away, why would they?

and what's 2009 got to do with anything? people weren't downloading updates for mobile phones 50 years ago, so what are you comparing to?

I'm not comparing to anything. But at this point in 2009 Apple surely should be able to gauge the number of updates that would hit today. They look second rate when they crash- for god's sake they are a computer company! Apple got bad press today they probably would not have preferred. It makes them look extremely amateur.- reminiscent of the MobileMe fiasco.
  • Reply 313 of 380
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

The iPod Touch doesn’t currently have a mic but the G2 has the same line-in/out jack as the iPhone that allows for the mic, headphones and controls for voice notes or whatever. It’s conceivable that the next Touch will get a mic, too.

Highly unlikely. A camera will be the new feature for the next Touch. Any mic would cut into iPhone sales as it would become an extremely easy Skype tool. Apple never, ever gives you everything that you think you should have. You of all people should know that by now.
  • Reply 314 of 380
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dfiler View Post

lol, with someone on my ignore list I missed all the fun.

I don't know how that works. It's possible they just get billed for whatever bandwidth they use.

But Google has, by far, the largest network of servers, and even they get bogged down at times.
  • Reply 315 of 380
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Olternaut View Post

A lot of ifs.

*sigh*

Coulda, woulda, shoulda.

If it requires the faster processor and the additional vector operators, then it's pretty clear that the current models don't have the ability to do this correctly. Google manages to do some, but it's very simple. This is much more complex.
  • Reply 316 of 380
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by t-bone View Post

Don't think I saw this in the discussion, but after a smooth upgrade that took about 30 minutes, I noticed that my APN settings were blank and my contacts were gone.

I've entered the APN settings again, but having problems re-syncing my contacts to my 16GB iPhone. I've switched the me.com syncing for contacts off then back on to see if that would fix it, but didn't.

Has anyone else had this problem and how did you fix it?

No problems at all.

I wonder why some people seem to have problems when upgrades of some kind are installed, but most don't. This is true for computers as well.

There must be something specific to your phone and computer that is causing this. I wish I knew what.
  • Reply 317 of 380
    dr. xdr. x Posts: 282member
    I purchased, downloaded and installed the 3.0 software for iPod Touch and it went without a hitch.

I think it's a great buy! Apple added the enhanced stocks app and YouTube login to the iPod Touch 3.0 software, even though they don't mention it on the website. (http://www.apple.com/ipodtouch/softwareupdate.html). I'm not sure if they added the ability to download TV shows and Movies like with the new software on the iPhone.
  • Reply 318 of 380
    Anybody test out whether Netshare works with 3.0?
  • Reply 319 of 380
    tshorttshort Posts: 46member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by estyle View Post

there are some new icons and information in the recent calls screen

also the unknown calls are giving geographic information

got a unknown call and it said Virginia (as in the state)

I really like the updates to recent calls:
    • inbound vs. outbound

• location of the number (if not in contacts)

• what number (main, mobile, home)

• duration of call

I've been waiting for this for a while!
  • Reply 320 of 380
    jjpupjjpup Posts: 3member
    Servers were definitely overwhelmed. For once, a time when you can say "there were like a million people tappin' the update" and mean it.

My initial backup of my iPhone missed all my apps, music, and videos. My pictures and histories (texting, notes, email, etc.) all were retained after I updated to 3.0. I had to do another sync to get all my apps, music, and videos back, but after a bit of time- everything was back, even the original placement of my apps. I got a prompt asking me to "merge my data with existing" or "replace". I, of course, chose "merge" and I just let it do its thing.