Which apps are using Push Notification already?

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Anyone know any of the apps in the app store that are currently using push notification? I want to try it out but it doesn't appear to be on any of the apps I currently have installed.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TrojanShawn View Post

Anyone know any of the apps in the app store that are currently using push notification? I want to try it out but it doesn't appear to be on any of the apps I currently have installed.

AOL AIM was used in the last round of developer beta's to test out the push notifications.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
  • Reply 3 of 6
    is it true it kills the battery?
  • Reply 4 of 6
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    It will impact the time for the battery to run down, but shouldn't be huge. It means an extra process running in the background and extra network activity, so that will result in some extra battery drain. Not much.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JustFrozen View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tulkas View Post

It will impact the time for the battery to run down, but shouldn't be huge. It means an extra process running in the background and extra network activity, so that will result in some extra battery drain. Not much.

Push uses battery, but this is nothing new. If you've been using Mobile Me for the last year, you'll be using just as much battery as prior.

Battery life under Push is still very good. If you've not used Push before, you may notice a decrease, but I've not used an iPhone without Push for over a year and I would not turn it off for anything. Its 50% of why I like the device.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JustFrozen View Post

In the same sense as having the phone on in order to receive incoming calls or texts, yes.

The phone simply sits their and waits for notification. It isn't actively computing or manipulating data. It just uses enough resources to be able to accept incoming alerts. Once the alerts arrive, sure, some power will be used to process them... just like was already done for pushed email (mobile me, yahoo, exchange) as well as texting and voice calls.

In other words, no battery life shouldn't be affected much at all. That's the entire point of using push notifications rather than keeping each app continuously running and querying separate servers on the net. It's much more power efficient to have a single process communicating with a single server.