Canadian iPhone 3G S buyers get late discount, Apple store option

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
With just hours to go before the iPhone 3G S reaches its stores, Canadian provider Rogers and its sister brand Fido have promised heavy discounts for existing iPhone 3G customers trading up to the faster model. Also, Apple stores in the country will finally let customers buy the devices there instead of carrier stores.

Rogers' and Fido's price reductions depend heavily on when customers bought their phones and how much they spend per month on service. The most privileged are those who bought an iPhone 3G before September 30th and who spend at least $100 CAD a month on their total service plan; these get a full subsidy and pay the same $199 CAD for a 16GB iPhone 3G S, or $299 CAD for a 32GB version, as customers new to the service or who qualify for a full upgrade.

Those who spend less than $100 per month but who still bought their iPhones before the end of 2008 get a partial discount. Here, the 16GB iPhone 3G S costs $449 CAD while the 32GB version costs $549.

Additionally, those specifically on Fido can use their FidoDollars to help cover the cost of the iPhone 3G S at any price and get $100 in FidoDollars without having to extend or renew their contracts.

Rogers paints the gesture as its way of rewarding early adopters and says it's offering existing customers a dramatic discount even though they would normally have to wait up to two years to qualify for the full price. It says those who don't qualify for any upgrades or as new customers will pay exactly what the carrier does: $680 CAD for a 16GB model and $780 CAD for the larger capacity. If true, this sets the at-cost US prices of the 2009 phones at about $600 and $700 respectively. The holdover 8GB iPhone 3G will cost $580 CAD (about $514 US) but won't have an early upgrade option.

The move comes after an unusual amount of silence from Rogers. It was quick to provide its new subscriber pricing shortly after Apple unveiled the handset last week but, even as late as Thursday afternoon, didn't have any more to share.

Apple for its part is also tending an olive branch to Canadians. Starting Friday, all the company's retail outlets in the country will also sell iPhones to Rogers and Fido customers much as American and UK stores do now. Details of which plans will be offered and how many discounts will apply are unknown, but shoppers will have at least the choice of signing up as new subscribers or else buying a given phone outright without extending a contract. Rumors have circulated that the absence of Apple store purchasing was part of retaliation against Rogers for poor data service, though little has been said since to corroborate the claims made nearly a year ago.

Canada's nine current Apple stores will also be the first to sell the iPhone 3G S and will open their doors at 8 a.m. -- an hour later than the 7 a.m. US opening, but two hours sooner than most Rogers and Fido locations. Fido's flagship Montreal store, just blocks away from Apple's downtown Montreal store, is said to be opening at 8 a.m. as well.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 60
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Please- can we get one , just one, non- iPhone related thread at the Appleinsider already? Do we really need to have a thread for each and every country ? Can't you just lump them all into one and call it a day?
  • Reply 2 of 60
    canadancanadan Posts: 21member
    Hmmm, I'm gonna have to give them a call then and see if I'm eligible for the full discount. I just might be and I just might upgrade if it's that easy.
  • Reply 3 of 60
    This is still stupid.

It's great if you're with Rogers, but sucks if you happen to be with Fido, like me. I pay well over $100 a month, but because I'm with Fido, somebody else paying the exact same amount on Rogers will get the regular pricing.

Rogers acts like they're different companies, but really they both copy and paste their press releases, mention each other and to the consumer, appear the be essentially the same.

I hate that Rogers is treating me like I'm some cheapo. No, I pay well over $100/month and am more than willing to extend my contract. It's not like I'm paying $60/month as some are without a data plan. No, I gladly use my services and have a number of extras on my account. This whole thing is just idiotic. I didn't sign up for Fido because they were branded as being cheap, I did so because when I moved to school, I heard they were good. If I'd known that we'd be getting the short end of the stick I'd have gone with Rogers instead. Screw Fido and Rogers.
  • Reply 4 of 60
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member
    This is so not fair! How come ATT customers have to spend $200 US and Canadians only have to spend $176!

I'm totally protesting.

Can anyone tell me why ATT is being so unfair?

Did I mention I'm a loyal ATT customer? I pay them $69.99 of my hard earned dollars every year and I get a new phone every year for as little as I can, and I HATE ATT and I say it from the rooftop every chance I get. And I'm soooo loyal! How can they do this to meeeeeee!?!?!

I expect a reply, ATT, because I know you're reading. And Apple, too! If Apple doesn't make this right, I'm going to hate them too. Because I'm totally Apple's most loyal customer and they can't let ATT screw me like this!
  • Reply 5 of 60
    mactrippermactripper Posts: 1,328member
    $100 a month?

I get same AT&T voice for only $10 a month and the $30 phone is paid for!

Now just trot those iPhone apps over to OS X and I'll be happy.

Someone build a port, emulator, time machine or something...

I'll pay $$ to have the iPhone apps on my Mac.
  • Reply 6 of 60
    abster2coreabster2core Posts: 2,501member
    Now I am in a dilemma. I was going to hold off. Now I have to convince my wife to take my 3G so I can move up.

Tethered earlier tonight. Great speed over 3G. Safari flew.
  • Reply 7 of 60
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Early upgrade for $199 for the 16gb. Very nice. Same as a year ago.

I'm eligible June 5th, even though I'm only a year through my 3-year contract.

I'll be upgrading for sure. I spoke to them today, and everything sounded very favourable towards this option. As the iPhone is my ONLY phone, with the full services package from Rogers + 6gb data plan, long-dstance package, etc., (I have everything on it) my monthly bill comes out to around $110-$125. So I'm eligible for the most favourable upgrade pricing.

Nice move, Rogers. Not the cheapest service by any means, but still the best by miles and miles.
  • Reply 8 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CanadianMac2008 View Post

This is still stupid.

It's great if you're with Rogers, but sucks if you happen to be with Fido, like me. I pay well over $100 a month, but because I'm with Fido, somebody else paying the exact same amount on Rogers will get the regular pricing.

Rogers acts like they're different companies, but really they both copy and paste their press releases, mention each other and to the consumer, appear the be essentially the same.

I hate that Rogers is treating me like I'm some cheapo. No, I pay well over $100/month and am more than willing to extend my contract. It's not like I'm paying $60/month as some are without a data plan. No, I gladly use my services and have a number of extras on my account. This whole thing is just idiotic. I didn't sign up for Fido because they were branded as being cheap, I did so because when I moved to school, I heard they were good. If I'd known that we'd be getting the short end of the stick I'd have gone with Rogers instead. Screw Fido and Rogers.

You pay over $100/month with Fido???

I pay that with Rogers. What are you doing with Fido??

I have Rogers' complete package - everything, on my iPhone, from long-distance, to 6gb data plan, etc., (since I have no landline) and my bill usually comes out to around $120/month, but not more.

Fido is Rogers' budget brand. You seem to be spending a bit too much on it, no?
  • Reply 9 of 60
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    Quote:

This is still stupid.

Exactly.

The article really should be corrected. Fido customers only see a discount of $100. period. The FidoDollars that we are 'allowed' to use have been around for years and have always been allowed to be applied to any phone, accessory or option (they are clawing this back now too). So, while Rogers iPhone owners can get the iPhone for the same prices a new customers (through a $500 discount), Fido owners get $100 discount and are allowed to use their FidoDollars. Since most used their FidoDollars last year when buying the iPhone, they will not have accumulated much in the last year.

To have spent enough on their monthly bills to equal $400 difference in discount between the two brands, the Fido customer would have to be spending an average of $666 per month to earn $400 in FidoDollars over the last year.

Obviously the Fido customer are being screwed. I have been with Fido for many year, well before Rogers took them over and took them downhill. They ruin a once great little carrier that appealed to the underdog, much like Apple. Imagine how MS would ruin the relationship Apple has with the customer if they bought Apple. That is much the same as what Rogers did by buying Fido.
  • Reply 10 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

I have Rogers' complete package - everything, on my iPhone, from long-distance, to 6gb data plan, etc., (since I have no landline) and my bill usually comes out to around $120/month, but not more.

I know, I realize that but I got in before it was the "budget" brand. At the time, back in 2006, I got it because I heard it was good, it was GSM, and for all intents and purposes it appeared to be Rogers with fun looking dogs and a couple perks. Now though they've completely changed it.

I still pay my SAF, 911, and all the other crap though, so it's not like I'm cheaping out or anything. But hey 3 year contract, aren't they great lol
  • Reply 11 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tulkas View Post

Exactly.

The article really should be corrected. Fido customers only see a discount of $100. period. The FidoDollars that we are 'allowed' to use have been around for years and have always been allowed to be applied to any phone, accessory or option (they are clawing this back now too). So, while Rogers iPhone owners can get the iPhone for the same prices a new customers (through a $500 discount), Fido owners get $100 discount and are allowed to use their FidoDollars. Since most used their FidoDollars last year when buying the iPhone, they will not have accumulated much in the last year.

To have spent enough on their monthly bills to equal $400 difference in discount between the two brands, the Fido customer would have to be spending an average of $666 per month to earn $400 in FidoDollars over the last year.

Obviously the Fido customer are being screwed. I have been with Fido for many year, well before Rogers took them over and took them downhill. They ruin a once great little carrier that appealed to the underdog, much like Apple. Imagine how MS would ruin the relationship Apple has with the customer if they bought Apple. That is much the same as what Rogers did by buying Fido.

You're using Rogers' budget-brand as a regular, Premium-tier service. You shouldn't be spending anywhere near $100 with Fido for one phone. If you are, then you should be with Rogers' regular service.

I know it sucks, but You'll get less with Fido in terms of favours, customer service, etc., than you will from Rogers, even though Rogers owns Fido. The two brands are completely separate, however. Their plans and such are also completely separate
  • Reply 12 of 60
    Quote:

It has only recently become their budget brand of record. Until last year, while they were treated as second class, they were not considered budget. This changed last year with their rebranding of Fido to compete.

It is just as easy to rack up large bills with Fido as with Rogers, though they get you in different ways. When Fido was independent, they were substantially cheaper than Rogers. Overage and LD were 1/5 what Rogers charged. Now that most everything is equal, the only real difference is how the customers are viewed. I stay with them because after a decade I have racked up enough loyalty goodwill that my would difficult to walk away from as it is a grandfathered retentions plan.
  • Reply 13 of 60
    Quote:

Exactly.

Yeah, I didn't join as long ago as you did, but long enough ago that they weren't anything budget really, nothing like what they are today. I'm really pissed and will be calling retentions. It's a complete double standard when they are copying and pasting the press releases and then suddenly change their tune when it comes to pricing.

Although I realize some people who maybe only pay $60 a month or pay the bare minimum are not profitable enough, I ran the numbers and I have definitely made Fido/Rogers some good money.

They need to evaluate on an individual basis and stop automatically assuming us Fido customers are just out to pay the bare minimum. Most people I know are shocked when they hear how much I pay for my phone.
  • Reply 14 of 60
    Quote:

I know, I realize that but I got in before it was the "budget" brand. At the time, back in 2006, I got it because I heard it was good, it was GSM, and for all intents and purposes it appeared to be Rogers with fun looking dogs and a couple perks. Now though they've completely changed it.

I still pay my SAF, 911, and all the other crap though, so it's not like I'm cheaping out or anything. But hey 3 year contract, aren't they great lol

See if you can switch to Rogers' full service and somehow get a better discount. Call them. If you bitch hard enough with Rogers, they'll usually throw you a bone of some kind.
  • Reply 15 of 60
    Quote:

You're using Rogers' budget-brand as a regular, Premium-tier service. You shouldn't be spending anywhere near $100 with Fido for one phone. If you are, then you should be with Rogers' regular service.

I know it sucks, but You'll get less with Fido in terms of favours, customer service, etc., than you will from Rogers, even though Rogers owns Fido. The two brands are completely separate, however. Their plans and such are also completely separate

I have been with them for a decade, well before they were owned by Rogers or viewed as budget. I was with them when they were a national, top tier, premium brand. Sure Rogers has made them mini Rogers, but Rogers downbranding of them 6 months ago does not mean my bill drops, sorry.

In terms of what you will end up paying, they are hardly budget. Certainly they have now become 'budget' in the minds of the decision makers. Are there now benefits to moving from Fido to Rogers? Not so much benefits to moving as much as fewer problems or artificial limitations. And I would lose a lot of credit as a long term fido customer and start off as a newbie in terms of goodwill for long term customers.
  • Reply 16 of 60
    Quote:

See if you can switch to Rogers' full service and somehow get a better discount. Call them. If you bitch hard enough with Rogers, they'll usually throw you a bone of some kind.

You can port between brands but they no longer waive the ECF completely. if you are over 12 months into your 3 year contract, they will charge you $100 ECF to port to Rogers. If you are less that 12 month in, you pay the full $400 early cancelation fee.

As a fido customer, you will always end up paying more. So much for being the budget brand...
  • Reply 17 of 60
    Quote:

You can port between brands but they no longer waive the ECF completely. if you are over 12 months into your 3 year contract, they will charge you $100 ECF to port to Rogers. If you are less that 12 month in, you pay the full $400 early cancelation fee.

As a fido customer, you will always end up paying more. So much for being the budget brand...

I suppose you have a point. It's a shame, though, that Fido got this second-class image. Rogers at the time wanted to compete against Bell's Solo Mobile, and they picked up Fido in order to do it.
  • Reply 18 of 60
    Quote:

Why are you so on Roger's ****? It's a phone company.

I'm on Fido, pay 92$ per month as my only phone line. I don't pay extra for long-distance because I just use 1011555.

As far as I'm concerned, the phone service is still very expensive.

If they don't want to sell me a 32GB for 299$ I'll just save my cash for next year, with the ultra-zoombonic-octocore one.

PS What are Fido users actually paying? 100$ off what?

PPS Do Rogers users have to re-up for a three year contract, while Fido users continue their existing contract?
  • Reply 19 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hypercommunist View Post

PPS Do Rogers users have to re-up for a three year contract, while Fido users continue their existing contract?

Yes. For most people that bought there phones around launch time, that means 1 extra year for the Rogers folk under contract. Big deal. I have been with Fido for so long, does it seem like I would stop using them just because my contract expired? I HATE ROGERS and they have killed Fido.
  • Reply 20 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Please- can we get one , just one, non- iPhone related thread at the Appleinsider already? Do we really need to have a thread for each and every country ? Can't you just lump them all into one and call it a day?

it could be worse... macdailynews has the worst new updates... like that Apple has new toilet paper in the executive washrooms, or that Microsoft now has a mall, or that Palm Pre has cracks etc etc...

I laugh at the news MDN provides... Appleinsider is a tad better IMO... hehe