Canadian iPhone 3G S buyers get late discount, Apple store option

Comments

• Reply 21 of 60
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

I suppose you have a point. It's a shame, though, that Fido got this second-class image. Rogers at the time wanted to compete against Bell's Solo Mobile, and they picked up Fido in order to do it.

Not at all. The bought Fido in order to eliminate their only national GSM competitor. Fido was taking customers away at a very rapid rate and Rogers was very concerned. Unfortunately, Fido was not able to sustain the price war that Rogers initiated and it drove them to the point of having to sell to Rogers. Rogers kept them as a premium brand for a long time. In fact, they marketed them more as a boutique brand that was in some ways more upscale than Rogers, since that was the clientele Fido had been successful with pre-sellout.

It was much more recently that Rogers started to really start to treat it as a afterthought. And it was only last year that they went into fully no frills, budget mode (in branding only) to compete with Solo and Koodoo.
  • Reply 22 of 60
    zygoatzygoat Posts: 6member
    The device-only pricing is sort of amusing given the contract rates.

16 GB 3GS without contract: $699.

16 GB 3GS with contract ($199) + termination fee ($400) = $599.

A savvy shopper wanting a new 3GS unencumbered would simply sign the contract, and immediately cancel it.

-ben
  • Reply 23 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CanadianMac2008 View Post

This is still stupid.

It's great if you're with Rogers, but sucks if you happen to be with Fido, like me. I pay well over $100 a month, but because I'm with Fido, somebody else paying the exact same amount on Rogers will get the regular pricing.

Is this correct?

The way I read the article, the Fido perks (being able to apply your FidoDollars, getting 100 FidoDollars in return, not having to extend your contract) are IN ADDITION ("additionally") to the offer to Rogers custies.

I.e. a cheap bastard like me would have to pay 549$ for the phone, minus my 50 bucks or so in FidoDollars, get 100$ FidoDollars in return, and maintain my current contract (25 months remaining).

If you're paying over 100$ a month, I think you're eligible for the full discount.

?!
  • Reply 24 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

This is so not fair! How come ATT customers have to spend $200 US and Canadians only have to spend $176!

I'm totally protesting.

Can anyone tell me why ATT is being so unfair?

Did I mention I'm a loyal ATT customer? I pay them $69.99 of my hard earned dollars every year and I get a new phone every year for as little as I can, and I HATE ATT and I say it from the rooftop every chance I get. And I'm soooo loyal! How can they do this to meeeeeee!?!?!

I expect a reply, ATT, because I know you're reading. And Apple, too! If Apple doesn't make this right, I'm going to hate them too. Because I'm totally Apple's most loyal customer and they can't let ATT screw me like this!

Actually its a lot cheaper with Rogers... because if you have an iPhone and spend 100$ a month, you get the phone for 199 or 299$.

With AT&T, you will need to spend hundreds more than any new customer going to AT&T hahaha
  • Reply 25 of 60
    ouraganouragan Posts: 437member
    Fido is a dog's name, both in French and English, a fun way to refer to an obedient dog or person.

Montreal based Fido used different breeds of big dogs to advertise its phones, often combing or dressing up dog owners to look just like their pets.

Fido is now owned by Toronto based Rogers Canada, but is still big in Montreal.

• Reply 26 of 60
    Got my hands on a iphone 3GS today before launch tomorrow, I played with it a little bit and it is genuinely faster than the iphone 3g. I wouldn't count on a large amount of stock in at&t stores though (just an inside tip). Compass works really well and so does the video recorder option. Same exact casing as on the iphone 3G so dont worry about buying new cases. Apps are way more responsive and very good on the load time. See you guys tomorrow at 7am for pre-orders.
  • Reply 27 of 60
    Wow, Canada already has nine whole Apple stores? Considering you can't turn over a rock in the dinkiest, most out-of-the-way hick town in the U.S. without finding an Apple store, I think it's clear where their priorities lie (hint: it doesn't depend on population ? remember, Canada is an urban myth so it doesn't make business sense to devote resources to it).

Anyways, Rogers is Rogers, and the regulatory bodies that govern technology in our glorious "country" know less about technology than the average consumer (if that's even possible), guaranteeing Rogers a monopoly on GSM phones and service for the foreseeable future. Rogers is acutely aware of this and treats its customers accordingly, because it can. Said customers are nearly all too ignorant to stand up for themselves. And the beat(ing) goes on, the beat(ing) goes on.
  • Reply 28 of 60
    ajmasajmas Posts: 597member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zygoat View Post

The device-only pricing is sort of amusing given the contract rates.

16 GB 3GS without contract: $699.

16 GB 3GS with contract ($199) + termination fee ($400) = $599.

A savvy shopper wanting a new 3GS unencumbered would simply sign the contract, and immediately cancel it.

-ben

The again is the 'with contract' option provider locked and the other not. This is an important factor. Does anyone have the details on this?

As to the Rogers/Fido I am pissed at them, and all the other Canadian cellphone companies, mainly because of stupid monthly data fees and three year contracts. I opted to block non-wifi data with the phone I got (did not get via either Rogers or Fido), since they wanted to charge me stupid amounts for the pleasure, and I don't feel like rewarding them. I have no idea how we could encourage sensible plans to be put in place?
  • Reply 29 of 60
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shunnabunich View Post

Wow, Canada already has nine whole Apple stores? Considering you can't turn over a rock in the dinkiest, most out-of-the-way hick town in the U.S. without finding an Apple store, I think it's clear where their priorities lie (hint: it doesn't depend on population ? remember, Canada is an urban myth so it doesn't make business sense to devote resources to it).

Anyways, Rogers is Rogers, and the regulatory bodies that govern technology in our glorious "country" know less about technology than the average consumer (if that's even possible), guaranteeing Rogers a monopoly on GSM phones and service for the foreseeable future. Rogers is acutely aware of this and treats its customers accordingly, because it can. Said customers are nearly all too ignorant to stand up for themselves. And the beat(ing) goes on, the beat(ing) goes on.

I LOVED Nova Scotia and Cape Breton . The Apple pie was wonderful. Back to topic, So what your'e saying Is that we're lucky to have AT&T in the USA because rogers is so bad.

• Reply 30 of 60
    moochmooch Posts: 113member
    I didn't even they there were nine. Most of them are in Toronto anyway. Hopefully they open one up in Waterloo...that is closer for me.

I have a pretty good deal from my company....my plan is only $60 a month. I am not intending to upgrade anyway though, so I'm happy.

what I think is more significant is that you can now buy an unlocked phone from Apple.
  • Reply 31 of 60
    xtrailxtrail Posts: 5member
    What about the new competition like globalive.com?

Why do they stay silent? I really do not want a 3yr contract with them if a new provider was about to start.

Anyone selling thier iphone 3g around Kitchener, Ontario?

email me @ [email protected]

like I say;

Canada's cancer "Rogers and Bell"
  • Reply 32 of 60
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Actually, I find Rogers' service to be excellent, both wireless and high-speed internet.

They aint cheap, that's for sure, but I've never had a problem with them, and whenever I call in, the service is fine. Sometimes I moan at them about something and I get freebies. They even offered to pay a month's bill once, when I told them I was unaware that their promo pricing on a particular service had changed.

Problem is, there is no viable compeition. No one offers the level of services that Rogers does. Bell is just pathetic, in nearly all areas. Over the past year there have been droves of Bell execs and personnel leaving for Rogers.
  • Reply 33 of 60
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

This is so not fair! How come ATT customers have to spend $200 US and Canadians only have to spend $176!

I'm totally protesting.

Can anyone tell me why ATT is being so unfair?

Did I mention I'm a loyal ATT customer? I pay them $69.99 of my hard earned dollars every year and I get a new phone every year for as little as I can, and I HATE ATT and I say it from the rooftop every chance I get. And I'm soooo loyal! How can they do this to meeeeeee!?!?!

I expect a reply, ATT, because I know you're reading. And Apple, too! If Apple doesn't make this right, I'm going to hate them too. Because I'm totally Apple's most loyal customer and they can't let ATT screw me like this!

It took a minye or an hour or two , I got the joke .lol
  • Reply 34 of 60
    abster2coreabster2core Posts: 2,501member
    Based on our research, there is barely any difference between iPhone plans between AT&T, Rogers or Fido.

They are basically identical. Some subtle differences mind you, but virtually minor, particularly when you consider the exchange rates between the two countries.

For example, the base iPhone prices tied to a contract are in favour to Canadians. All three companies start at $199 for a 16 GB iPhone 3GS. Americans pay $199 US and Canadians pay $199 CDN or $176 US.

Re DATA PLANS, whether it is Rogers or Fido, the charges are similar although they may initially appear not to be. The differences are compounded by the way they itemize their offerings. Voice minutes, data amounts, etc., are displayed in a minor that is not directly comparable. One plan contains 400 minutes vs 500 for the other. Thus a difference in prices, which is further complicated by mixed data plans, evening rates start at different times, multiple text messaging rates, etc., etc., etc. But in the final analysis the total price runs around the $95/month mark. The same that AT&T charges, but in US currency.

True, AT&T Data Plan is unlimited. However, this is offset somewhat in that they are are going to charge extra for tethering, whereas, it is included as part of the limited data plans that Rogers and Fido offer. AT&T's plan seem to include nationwide long distance. Rogers' and Fido's are tabled separately. Often if impossible to find exactly what the costs are or will be. But it would appear that planning properly, the extra that is charged is again partly offset by the exchange rate. Note that AT&T also tables unlimited nationwide roaming; Rogers and Fido also has it, but it doesn't bother to show it.

We are in progress of developing an international comparison chart for our own satisfaction. The problem is that there is not two companies in the world with identical pricing tables. Thus a direct comparison is not possible and the disclosures under the table take up 5-10 more space than the table itself.

NOTE: In noticing the comments that have appeared here and virtually every other article on 'what I pay' it is evident that we are not comparing apples with apples. Some include for example additional service charges, activation fees, state, provincial and federal taxes, etc., other don't. Re taxes, they shouldn't be included as part of the discussion; afterall, it is a 'national' thing, that separates those rights which allows one to carry guns while the other gets free medical care if shot by a gun. Others have stated charges for other smart phones and some for just regular cell phones. Thus further complicating the discussions.
  • Reply 35 of 60
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,717member
    I looked around the Fido website and couldn't find anything about this, so I called Fido and asked about this promotion. The customer service rep didn't know anything about it, they also asked their supervisior, and that person didn't know about it either. They said the earliest I could upgrade my handset was 6 months before the end of my 3 year contract.
  • Reply 36 of 60
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by auxio View Post

I looked around the Fido website and couldn't find anything about this, so I called Fido and asked about this promotion. The customer service rep didn't know anything about it, they also asked their supervisior, and that person didn't know about it either. They said the earliest I could upgrade my handset was 6 months before the end of my 3 year contract.

Well the Rogers info is true. Unfortunately, it seems Fido users are somehow getting the shaft.
  • Reply 37 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Well the Rogers info is true. Unfortunately, it seems Fido users are somehow getting the shaft.

So you've verified that with Rogers then?

It could just be that the information hasn't been passed from Rogers to Fido yet (Rogers is the parent company). Here's hoping...
  • Reply 38 of 60
    abster2coreabster2core Posts: 2,501member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by auxio View Post

To what are you referring?

Does this page help? http://www.fido.ca/web/content/faq/iphone_qa09?lang=en
  • Reply 39 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

To what are you referring?

I'm talking about the central point in this article:

Quote:

The most privileged are those who bought an iPhone 3G before September 30th and who spend at least $100 CAD a month on their total service plan; these get a full subsidy and pay the same $199 CAD for a 16GB iPhone 3G S, or $299 CAD for a 32GB version, as customers new to the service or who qualify for a full upgrade.

I would fit in this category. Yet no one at Fido knows about such an offer and there's nothing in the page you linked to which refers to it either.
  • Reply 40 of 60
    So, for an existing iPhone user with Rogers, what happens to your old phone when you upgrade? Do you still get to keep it or do you turn it in or sell it privately. Also, how do you transfer all your data from the old phone and do a full erase of sensitive data?