Some AT&T stores sell out of iPhone 3G S in less than an hour

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
While the verdict is still out on how well stocked U.S.-based Apple retail stores will be for this morning's iPhone 3G S launch, some of AT&T's shops are reported to have already run out of their initial allotment of the new handsets.

For example, AppleInsider reader Sherif arrived at the AT&T retail store on the corner of Suffolk Street and Delancey Street in Manhattan's Lower East Side at roughly 7:30 am Friday morning.

Roughly 20 minutes later he was informed by staffers that he'd snagged the shop's last iPhone 3G S available for walk-in customers who hadn't pre-orderd: a white 32GB model, which was precisely the model he was after. The particular store reportedly received about 60 units, but said new stock would not arrive for another 5 days.

It's no secret that Apple favors padding its company-owned shops over those belonging to its exclusive US wireless carrier on iPhone launch days. Both the iPhone 3G and original iPhone launches saw AT&T stores run dry of the handsets long before Apple retail stores.

AT&T also announced last weekend that it had exhausted its initial supply of iPhone 3G Ss that were available for pre-order through its website. Customers placing their orders after last Friday were informed that their devices wouldn't arrive this Friday, but would instead see delivery delays spanning anywhere from one to two weeks.

For its part, Apple's online store continued to take pre-orders for the new handset throughout the week, promising Friday deliver for those customers who'd confirmed their order by Wednesday.

Those iPhone 3G S buyers determined to purchase their new phone from an AT&T retail store may be best advised at this point to call ahead and check up on availability.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 56
    adamiigsadamiigs Posts: 355member
    Well there are THREE Sprint Palm Pre banners on this page all at the same time, they could go get one of those
  • Reply 2 of 56
    macaloymacaloy Posts: 104member
    I suspect we will see some big differences between stores

Some on other forums say nobody was at their local stores while others like this say it was sold out shortly
  • Reply 3 of 56
    randythotrandythot Posts: 109member
    I suppose that the sheer increasing number of total iPhone users should make those skeptical analysts hoping for a decent turnout eating their words.
  • Reply 4 of 56
    I just got back from picking up mine. There was about 40 people total. Last year there was easily 300

Needless to say, but I was first in line this year too!!!

And the tethering works awesome thru bluetooth!!
  • Reply 5 of 56
    poochpooch Posts: 768member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Roughly 20 minutes later he was informed by staffers that he'd snagged the shop's last iPhone 3G S available for walk-in customers who hadn't pre-orderd: a white 3GB model, which was precisely the model he was after.

ah yes, the elusive 3GB model. i so wanted one of those but, alas, i'm stuck with a black 32GB model. perhaps next year ...
  • Reply 6 of 56
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,403member
    Unlike with the 3G, you could order this one online with both Apple and ATT.

I am surprised that there are even lines.
  • Reply 7 of 56
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member
    Any product can sell out when there's a limited supply in a largely populated area.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Pooch View Post

ah yes, the elusive 3GB model. i so wanted one of those but, alas, i'm stuck with a black 32GB model. perhaps next year ...

LOL!
  • Reply 8 of 56
    The second picture in the article comes from the Montreal Apple Store.. there is roughly 20 people outside.. No line-up at the carrier flagship stores few streets corner away (no one waiting outside of Fido or Roger, but they planned velvet rope for crowd control)..

Is it the rain? The though economic climate?

The staff at the corporate apple store said they will have plenty of iPhone for everyone, they accepted my "personnal shopping assistance" for an iPhone 3G S at 10:30...
  • Reply 9 of 56
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member
    saw this at engadget:

• Reply 10 of 56
    neonsoxneonsox Posts: 5member
    I walked into a store this morning at 7am at the local mall. It was me, 3 other customers, and whole bunch of staff. They even had ropes out and everything.

I pre-ordered on June 13 after they said pre-stock expired, was given the 7 to 14 day delivery date (to the store) but I thought I'd check in anyway. I don't understand why they wouldn't fill a pre-order before a walk-in sale... It's like I'm getting punished for passing the credit check, paying for the phone already, and ordering in advance.

Oh well. I guess I'll keep on waiting. The charge came back out of my account today after disappearing for a couple days, so maybe my phone is on it's way. Checking status on the AT&T site reveals a nice orange IN PROGRESS.

I guess I will be on EDGE (pun intended) for a little longer.
  • Reply 11 of 56
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    I was at a concert last night and one of the concession stands ran out of water.
  • Reply 12 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dfiler View Post

I was at a concert last night and one of the concession stands ran out of water.

Were they taking order for the next shipment? :P Did you had to give a deposit? Do a credit check?
  • Reply 13 of 56
    postulantpostulant Posts: 1,272member
    Everyone I know chose to order theirs from the Apple store rather than standing in line. I love the idea of my phone being delivered right to my door step... I nearly died in the Texas heat waiting to get one last year.

Anyhoo, mine should arrive in a few hours according to fedex.
  • Reply 14 of 56
    ghostface147ghostface147 Posts: 1,629member
    Maybe I will pick one up at Wally World or Best Buy. I doubt they have a lot, but it doesn't hurt to check.
  • Reply 15 of 56
    bonklersbonklers Posts: 54member
    i live about half a mile from 1 infinite loop , apple headquarters in cupertino, and i went to the att store on 'steven's creek blvd' its about 2 miles from apple, and there were about 15 preorder people and 10 non-preorder people. and the funny thing is nbc news was there too and filmed us. LOL
  • Reply 16 of 56
    str1f3str1f3 Posts: 573member
    Something tells me ATT did not get a lot of iPhones this time around. I get the feelingthat with all th garbage they had to put up with from ATT, they decided they wanted to control more of the user experience this time around.
  • Reply 17 of 56
    adjeiadjei Posts: 738member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chronster View Post

saw this at engadget:

Why is it day in the first pic and night in the second?
  • Reply 18 of 56
    ddubres79ddubres79 Posts: 101member
    Call me lazy but why not just have the thing pre-ordered and shipped to you? Unless of course you like using a vacation day from work to sit outside and wait for something you could have picked up elsewhere...
  • Reply 19 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Adjei View Post

Why is it day in the first pic and night in the second?

November vs June in the northern hemisphere.
  • Reply 20 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DdubRes79 View Post

Call me lazy but why not just have the thing pre-ordered and shipped to you? Unless of course you like using a vacation day from work to sit outside and wait for something you could have picked up elsewhere...

Some people like to socialize and experience the energy of an excited crowd.