AT&T: iPhone 3G S pre-orders in the "hundreds of thousands"

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Although some of its retail stores on the east coast have already run dry of their initial allotment of iPhone 3G Ss, Apple's exclusive U.S. wireless provider AT&T tells AppleInsider that it sold "hundreds of thousands" of the new touch-screen handset during its online pre-order process.

"[AT&T] sold hundreds of thousands through our preorder process prior to the launch, which exceeded our own expectations for iPhone 3G S," Michael Coe, a representative in the carrier's corporate communications department, wrote in an email Friday. "Just wanted to make sure you have this information as well."

Although Coe declined to comment on whether that figure exceed 300,000 units, the "hundreds of thousands" statistic alone is likely to put first-weekend iPhone 3G S unit sales estimates from many Wall Street analysts underwater.

In a research note issued to clients earlier this week, Piper Jaffray analyst Gene Munster estimated that Apple would sell roughly half a million iPhone 3G Ss during its first weekend on the market.

With Apple's own pre-order process likely to have trumped AT&T's, it now appears that the Cupertino-based company will handily sell more than a million devices during the first three days, which would make the iPhone 3G S launch more successful than the iPhone 3G launch last year.

Adding further support to this theory are comments coming out of Apple's UK wireless provider O2. In a blog post Friday, the carrier reported that by lunchtime local time, it had sold more iPhone 3G S handsets than it sold iPhone 3G devices on launch day last year.

Phone 3G S devices being packaged for shipment at an AT&T Distribution Center in Ft. Worth, Texas.

"Sales are still going strong and we expect to have sold 50% more iPhone 3G S handsets than last year?s launch by the close of business today," a representative for O2 said. "Footfall to our shops this morning was 10 times higher than an average day and our online site saw a 150% increase in traffic."

The wireless provider also noted that, thus far, the black iPhone 3G S is outselling the white one by 3:1.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 90
    g5mang5man Posts: 91member
    first

well that is pretty impressive. I think many of those will be upgrades from the 3G. Never the less I think the future is bright.
  • Reply 2 of 90
    mactrippermactripper Posts: 1,328member
    Also a site is reporting that a AT&T spokesperson said that tethering is coming in July for $55 a month.

So that should up scale your bill to around $160 a month.

Also AT&T is working with Apple to close the hack that allowed free tethering. Thanks to dumb sites like MDN and others advertising it for everyone to see.

Note the AT&T laptop connect card costs $60 a month (with phone, else $100) and is limited to 5 GB down per month.

So expect similar caps and the $55 sounds about right, as AT&T won't have to supply a USB card.

*kisses $10 a month AT&T phone and $25 a month broadband*

Let the wailing and howling begin!

http://appmodo.com/914/apple-iphone-...-tethering-55/
  • Reply 3 of 90
    abster2coreabster2core Posts: 2,501member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTripper View Post

Also a site is reporting that a AT&T spokesperson said that tethering is coming in July for $55 a month.

As already commented:

Patience folks, this is a rumor site.

It will probably in this neighbourhood:

http://www.wireless.att.com/business...comp-table.jsp

Verizon charges $30 for 5 GB when added to a data plan

http://b2b.vzw.com/productsservices/...ssconnect.html
  • Reply 4 of 90
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,523member
    Well with the rip off handset prices in the UK I doubt they will manage to even sell a 100,000 units.
  • Reply 5 of 90
    adjeiadjei Posts: 738member
    The iphone pre orders alone on AT&T probably outsold all the Palm Pres in existence.
  • Reply 6 of 90
    c4rlobc4rlob Posts: 277member
    I arrived at Apple's W14th Manhattan store right at 7am. And the pre-order/reserved line was already 100-people long. Not to mention the non-reserved line right next to it that was equally long. An Oppenheimer analyst was surveying people in the line - turns out the woman behind me was previously on a Verizon contract with a non-smartphone. The so-called king-of-the-hill Verizon! Forget the weekend, Apple is going to blow away everyone's estimates today Friday.
  • Reply 7 of 90
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTripper View Post

Also a site is reporting that a AT&T spokesperson said that tethering is coming in July for $55 a month. [?] Also AT&T is working with Apple to close the hack that allowed free tethering. Thanks to dumb sites like MDN and others advertising it for everyone to see. Note the AT&T laptop connect card costs $60 a month (with phone, else $100) and is limited to 5 GB down per month. So expect similar caps and the $55 sounds about right, as AT&T won't have to supply a USB card.

That price seems excessive since the USB card is only $60/month and both the iPhone and USB access are unlimited. I have the Seirra Wireless with HSUPA so I?ll stick with my 14.4Mbps/2Mbps over the iPhone 3G with 3.6Mbps/384kbps. As for bandwidth allowances I have averaged over 80GB+ a month for the past 15 months. The contract said a 5GB softcap (I think the iPhone contract does, too) but they advertised unlimited and that is what they?ve honoured.

I can still tether my iPhone 3G to my Mac and I don?t need a hack. i?ve been doing it since the v3.0 beta arrived in March. I can?t imagine that they?ll have an easy fix for this soon that doesn?t require an OS update, which you can simply avoid.
  • Reply 8 of 90
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Is there a war goin on?
  • Reply 9 of 90
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Adjei View Post

The iphone pre orders alone on AT&T probably outsold all the Palm Pres in existence.

I think they recorded 50k for their first sellout weekend so I think you are probably right.
  • Reply 10 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I think they recorded 50k for their first sellout weekend so I think you are probably right.

This is not even counting the orders with Apple.
  • Reply 11 of 90
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Adjei View Post

Funny how you fanboys always seem to bring up the Pre for some reason.

The iPhone outsold the Pre!? NO WAI!
  • Reply 12 of 90
    lafelafe Posts: 252member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

With Apple's own pre-order process likely to have trumped AT&T's, it now appears that the Cupertino-based company will handily sell more than a million devices during the first three days, which would make the iPhone 3G S launch more successful than the iPhone 3G launch last year.

Incredible, considering that many of the buyers are those like me who pre-ordered

in spite of the additional $200 charge. (My 3G was activated 8/2008, but for some

reason the non-negotiable eligibility date in AT&T's computer was 4/2010. No luck

getting the better rate no matter whom I spoke to.)

I hope after the smoke clears we can see some analysis of how many of these

are new to the family, how many are original iPhoners (non-3G) and how many

are 3G people who have had their handsets for about a year.
  • Reply 13 of 90
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by g5man View Post

first

well that is pretty impressive. I think many of those will be upgrades from the 3G. Never the less I think the future is bright.

great First post !!you win !!!
  • Reply 14 of 90
    Hi all

My iphone 32GB 3GS arrived at my home (Apple on-line - shipped from China) promptly at 10:30am EST this morning via UPS (the driver said they had 38,000 to deliver this morning as a test run vs Fed-Ex). By 10:35 I was attempting to activate it (having backed up my 3G at 9:45, assuming it would arrive on time). The activation timed out with a note saying it would be completed within 48 hours and that an email would arrive notifying me that the phone is activated. I've completed the restore of my apps, etc, onto the new phone and await activation.

48Hours? I'd say they're overwhelmed by the sales volume today.
  • Reply 15 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chronster View Post

Funny how you haters were shoving the Pre down our throats for the past 6 months saying it will "kill the iphone". IT SURE DIDN'T BUDDY!
  • Reply 16 of 90
    macinthe408macinthe408 Posts: 1,050member
    Three Palm Pre click ads on one page!
  • Reply 17 of 90
    macinthe408macinthe408 Posts: 1,050member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chronster View Post

On the contrary, I doubt any Apple fanboys are on the PalmInsider site wasting their time.
  • Reply 18 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macinthe408 View Post

On the contrary, I doubt any Apple fanboys are on the PalmInsider site wasting their time.

You need to go on some of the Palm sites, half the posts there are hating on Apple.
  • Reply 19 of 90
    fraklincfraklinc Posts: 244member
    Got my 3GS at about 9 AM this morning by UPS, although it was still sitting in Anchorage Alaska last night.

If you can get over $400 for your old one at ebay like me, do it and upgrade, you won't regret it cause this thing is pretty fast.
  • Reply 20 of 90
    al_bundyal_bundy Posts: 1,525member
    WTF, did the app store go crazy again?

mine came in this morning but i'm at work. i was downloading apps to my laptop for when i come home and suddenly i'm getting timeouts