AT&T: iPhone 3G S pre-orders in the "hundreds of thousands"

Comments

• Reply 41 of 90
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tt92618 View Post

There is no moderation of what teckstud says.

I have a strong feeling that will be changing shortly.
  • Reply 42 of 90
    mac voyermac voyer Posts: 1,294member
    Enabling tethering is a trivial matter in 3.0. No jailbreaking required. I have used two different methods on two different iPhones. The most recent method can be done without a computer. Search today's Macsurfer for the easiest method yet. I did it to my wife's phone at a coffee shop this morning. Trivially easy.

Correction, I am pretty sure I saw it on youtube rather than macsurfer. AppVee did a video walkthrough of how to do it.
  • Reply 43 of 90
    bigmc6000bigmc6000 Posts: 767member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by patroll View Post

Just to point out that it is the media are. Other than that, I found your post informative, well thought-through, courteous, free of personal insults and on topic. I am sure the moderators agree.

Actually I'm not too sure on that one... While media refers to a group of seperate entities they are still a singular item - I think we've had this discussion before and it turned into a British vs American thing. Personally I'd go with "media is."

" The great popularity of the word in references to the agencies of mass communication is leading to the formation of a mass noun, construed as a singular <there's no basis for it. You know, the news media gets on to something — Edwin Meese 3d> <the media is less interested in the party's policies — James Lewis, Guardian Weekly"

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/media%5B2%5D
  • Reply 44 of 90
    jkozjkoz Posts: 48member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I try not to ask questions I can look up easily, but I?m occasionally guilty of that, too. But with newer posters I don?t know their age or technical knowledge so teaching to fish seems like the best method. I didn?t mean to come across demeaning.

With v3.0 out as a GM for 12 days now and jailbreak and unlock long developed I have no idea what they are waiting for. Actually, I do. They are having an issue with YouTube not working, but they had mentioned that they may release it with that caveat while working on a fix. I hope they do that.

I updated to v3.0 months ago without a hack so my baseband is updated. So far, not known hole to exploit so my phone is forever tied AT&T, though I?ll be sending to a family member tomorrow so it?s not a non-issue.

Good luck with getting the unlock soon.

No worries, it's all good.

I don't need to unlock, but at first I thought you were referring to the jailbreak. After reading what you and a couple others posted, it doesn't seem any jailbreak is required. I'm on the fence as to whether I should do it or not. Seems like something they can trace.

I hope that AT&T doesn't crack down on this... otherwise they'll have a lot of people switching over to T-Mobile if they give us the boot xD
  • Reply 45 of 90
    patrollpatroll Posts: 77member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bigmc6000 View Post

Actually I'm not too sure on that one... While media refers to a group of seperate entities they are still a singular item - I think we've had this discussion before and it turned into a British vs American thing. Personally I'd go with "media is."

" The great popularity of the word in references to the agencies of mass communication is leading to the formation of a mass noun, construed as a singular <there's no basis for it. You know, the news media gets on to something ? Edwin Meese 3d> <the media is less interested in the party's policies ? James Lewis, Guardian Weekly"

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/media%5B2%5D

Quite possibly a British v American thing, I accept that. Let's not lose sight of the bigger cause.
  • Reply 46 of 90
    adjeiadjei Posts: 738member
    AT&T CEO confirming the Pre-orders statement:

http://www.boygeniusreport.com/2009/...of-pre-orders/
  • Reply 47 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jkoz View Post

No worries, it's all good.

I don't need to unlock, but at first I thought you were referring to the jailbreak. After reading what you and a couple others posted, it doesn't seem any jailbreak is required. I'm on the fence as to whether I should do it or not. Seems like something they can trace.

I hope that AT&T doesn't crack down on this... otherwise they'll have a lot of people switching over to T-Mobile if they give us the boot xD

Trace or not, you get unlimited data and they aren?t going to cancel your contract at at least $69/month for doing it. It?s better business to just block it. I?ve been using it for months and my GB usage is well beyond any 5GB soft cap. The most you?d have to worry about is getting a warning of a plan cancelation, but as I stated, I?ve been using the crap out of and they?ve done nothing of the sort.

As for T-Mobile, I don?t think you?ll see an exodus to T-Mobile since the carrier has very little 3G and what they do have incompatible with common 3G radios. I know plenty of people that are moving or have moved to the iPhone from Sprint and T-Mobile despite those carriers having cheaper plans, especially with texting included, because the usefulness and speed is high enough to warrant the price.
  • Reply 48 of 90
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    oops... no comment here.
  • Reply 49 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTripper View Post

Woz cuts in line at Apple Store

pictures story

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=725868

wow, nice story! i got my iphone 3gs less than 2 miles away from that apple store, i chose an att store since it would have a much smaller line, too bad though, would have been nice to get the woz' autograph and pic!
  • Reply 50 of 90
    mactrippermactripper Posts: 1,328member
    Offtopic just crossed CNBC

Windows 7 to be released in October.
  • Reply 51 of 90
    elrothelroth Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by patroll View Post

Just to point out that it is the media are.

You must be from the UK. In American, "the media is" is quite alright.

Edit: Oops, didn't see the follow-up posts above.
  • Reply 52 of 90
    macaloymacaloy Posts: 104member
    I don't blame them. When the next iPhone comes out, I will be pre-ordering as well.
  • Reply 53 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Adjei View Post

You need to go on some of the Palm sites, half the posts there are hating on Apple.

They're starting to realize that they caught the wrong bus and can't get off now.
  • Reply 54 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Trace or not, you get unlimited data and they aren?t going to cancel your contract at at least $69/month for doing it. It?s better business to just block it. I?ve been using it for months and my GB usage is well beyond any 5GB soft cap. The most you?d have to worry about is getting a warning of a plan cancelation, but as I stated, I?ve been using the crap out of and they?ve done nothing of the sort.

As for T-Mobile, I don?t think you?ll see an exodus to T-Mobile since the carrier has very little 3G and what they do have incompatible with common 3G radios. I know plenty of people that are moving or have moved to the iPhone from Sprint and T-Mobile despite those carriers having cheaper plans, especially with texting included, because the usefulness and speed is high enough to warrant the price.

Mmm, but now it's been released to the masses, and I'm sure that will change their stance. You have a point though, insta-ban would not be good business. Though if they did somehow find a way to charge something extra, my parents wouldn't be too happy (college student still on the family plan).

And interesting about the T-Mobile, I did not know that. Didn't have much of a reason to research it to begin with since I'm on AT&T.
  • Reply 55 of 90
    patrollpatroll Posts: 77member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by elroth View Post

You must be from the UK. In American, "the media is" is quite alright.

Edit: Oops, didn't see the follow-up posts above.

Not a problem. I am delighted to see that the post I was referring to has been edited by the moderators.
  • Reply 56 of 90
    adamiigsadamiigs Posts: 355member
    Just got my UPS deliver, driver said san diego had about 800 phones for delivery, apple account is worth about 50,000,000 a year to UPS that is why today is a huge test for the company ... EEEE IM SO FREAKIN HAPPY
  • Reply 57 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by c4rlob View Post

I arrived at Apple's W14th Manhattan store right at 7am. And the pre-order/reserved line was already 100-people long. Not to mention the non-reserved line right next to it that was equally long.

Nice surprise here in Phoenix AZ, the Camelback location opened early to permit reservists to pick up and activate their phone at 6am. I came by at 630 and they'd already emptied the reserve line. 5 minutes in-out. Piece of cake.

The only glitch was the assistant claimed that my old iphone would stay active (receive calls) until the new phone was unboxed. No such luck there, so I had to early-unbox at the office. No biggie - but notable.
  • Reply 58 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

"Footfall to our shops this morning was 10 times higher than an average day and our online site saw a 150% increase in traffic."

Haha silly Brits and their made-up words....

Anyway, ordered mine this morning, 3-weeks before it ships from Fido in Canada. WTF?
  • Reply 59 of 90
    Ahhh! My 32GB Black just got delivered... going to unbox and activate now. The FedEx guy asked me to sign my life away, haha. I asked him if a lot of people were doing that today, and he said "What, for fathers day?" And then I told him about the iPhone launch. "I thought they stopped people from ordering those?" Then I explained the preorder thing. Very nice guy.
  • Reply 60 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nonstopdesign View Post

Haha silly Brits and their made-up words?.

Note that all words are made up.