Apple warns iPhone 3G S activations may take up to 2 days

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
In a near repeat of problems that plagued last year's iPhone 3G launch, Apple's iPhone activation servers are showing signs of buckling under the pressure of hundreds of thousands of customers who are attempting to activate their new handsets and warning of delays that could span two days.

"Your activation requires additional time to complete. Due to the current activation volumes, it may take up to 48 hours to resolve your issue," reads a message spit out by iTunes when attempting to activate a new iPhone 3G S after the hours of noon Eastern time on Friday. "We will send a confirmation to [your email address] once your activation is complete."

Apple, in the same message, apologizes for the inconvenience and says that customers can proceed to setup their new handsets and explore features that do not require access to AT&T's network. After disconnecting from iTunes, a message appears on the iPhone 3G S's screen that says: "Waiting for activation. This may take some times."

While many customers acquiring their new iPhones in Europe or during the early morning hours in the US reported activating their devices quickly and without issue, AppleInsider can corroborate that activations delays are spreading rapidly. Both our new iPhone 3G S's remain in the state seen in the below image.

The activation issues draw parallels to the high-tech meltdown that spoiled last year's iPhone 3G launch from the onset, leaving thousands of customers with iPhones that couldn't function or make calls, as the iTunes servers required to fully activate them were knocked offline for extended periods of time.

Friday's complications underscore the complexity Apple faces in orchestrating a multi-national product launch of such scale, but also signals that despite having two years of past experience under its belt, the Cupertino-based company is still unable to accurately prepare its systems for the beating they'll take on day one.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 130
    Mine took about 5 minutes to activate this morning, so no crush at least as of 10:30 am EST.
  • Reply 2 of 130
    Activation through iTunes took maybe 5 minutes tops for me too. I had to restart the phone for it to actually connect to AT&T cell network though.
  • Reply 3 of 130
    This is the reason that they should have let the preorders deliver early rather than holding them at carrier distribution centers. That would have staggered the demand on the servers and would have helped to mitigate the problems they are facing yet again. I'll get home and have to wait to activate because they plan poorly.

Maybe Apple and AT&T were meant for each other.....MMS and Tethering.....
  • Reply 4 of 130
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wally626 View Post

Mine took about 5 minutes to activate this morning, so no crush at least as of 10:30 am EST.

Lucky You!!! \ Thanks Apple! I guess I have to carry both around when mine finally starts to work? So much for a Happy Father's Day weekend!
  • Reply 5 of 130
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

In a near repeat of problems that plagued last year's iPhone 3G launch, Apple's iPhone activation servers are showing signs of buckling under the pressure of hundreds of thousands of customers who are attempting to activate their new handsets and warning of delays that could span two days.

"Your activation requires additional time to complete. Due to the current activation volumes, it may take up to 48 hours to resolve your issue," reads a message spit out by iTunes when attempting to activate a new iPhone 3G S after noon eastern time on Friday. "We will send a confirmation to [your email address] once your activation is complete."

Apple, in the same message, apologizes for the inconvenience and says that customers can proceed to setup their new handsets and explore features that do not require access to AT&T's network. After disconnecting from iTunes, a message appears on the iPhone 3G S's screen that says: "Waiting for activation. This may take some times."

While many customers acquiring their new iPhones in Europe or during the early morning hours in the US reported activating their devices quickly and without issue, AppleInsider can corroborate that activations delays are spreading rapidly. Both our new iPhone 3G S's remain in the state seen in the below image.

The activation issues draw parallels to the high-tech meltdown that spoiled last year's iPhone 3G launch from the onset, leaving thousands of customers with iPhones that couldn't function or make calls, as the iTunes servers required to fully activate them were knocked offline for extended periods of time.

Friday's complications underscore the complexity Apple faces in orchestrating a multi-national product launch of such scale, but also signals that despite having two years of past experience under its belt, the Cupertino-based company is still unable to accurately prepare its systems for beating they'll take on day one.

Perhaps if Apple had let the iPhones that were scheduled to arrive via UPS yesterday actually arrive yesterday, and those people activated a day earlier, that maybe this would not be such an issue today?

Just a thought...
  • Reply 6 of 130
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    I don't think anyone could have really predicted just how huge the demand was going to be for the 3G S.

All we've heard for the last month was about how Palm will steal a good chunk of former iPhone users or potential iPhone users - how everyone will be flocking to the Pre.

Didn't happen. In fact, exactly the opposite happened. It's as if the Pre is some distant memory. Anyway, Palm's dog and pony show will come to an end soon enough. We're already seeing disappointing sales figurs for the Pre, it's off to a slow start, and Palm does seem to *still* be buyout-bait.
  • Reply 7 of 130
    wilcowilco Posts: 985member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

I don't think anyone could have really predicted just how huge the demand was going to be for the 3G S.

All we've heard for the last month was about how Palm will steal a good chunk of former iPhone users or potential iPhone users - how everyone will be flocking to the Pre.

Didn't happen. In fact, exactly the opposite happened. It's as if the Pre is some distant memory. Anyway, Palm's dog and pony show will come to an end soon enough. We're already seeing disappointing sales figurs for the Pre, it's off to a slow start, and Palm does seem to *still* be buyout-bait.

zzzzzzzzz
  • Reply 8 of 130
    macaloymacaloy Posts: 104member
    I would be surprised if 95% that bought it today weren't able to activate tonight
  • Reply 9 of 130
    big kcbig kc Posts: 141member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wilco View Post

zzzzzzzzz

Quote:

People who start their post with "ummm" are invariably assholes.

Interesting.

What does that make people who post a string of z's as their only reply to a message?

• Reply 10 of 130
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    So, if I am an at&t customer who is in possession of his first iPhone, what happens to me if I try to activate and get told to wait? Does my old phone still work? Do I have no phone until it goes through?

Should I wait until the volume goes down to initiate activation?
  • Reply 11 of 130
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Masteric View Post

Perhaps if Apple had let the iPhones that were scheduled to arrive via UPS yesterday actually arrive yesterday, and those people activated a day earlier, that maybe this would not be such an issue today?

Just a thought...

Why do you think they released the 3.0 update 2 days before?
  • Reply 12 of 130
    kasperkasper Posts: 941member, administrator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bageljoey View Post

So, if I am an at&t customer who is in possession of his first iPhone, what happens to me if I try to activate and get told to wait? Does my old phone still work? Do I have no phone until it goes through?

Should I wait until the volume goes down to initiate activation?

Your current iPhone continues to function until your new ones is activated. You just have to carry both around in the interim incase the switch happens when your out, because your current phone will lose service as soon as your new one picks up service.

K
  • Reply 13 of 130
    I got the same 'Waiting for activation' message and no signal on the iPhone when I tried thru' iTunes. Then I called ATT, the ATT rep asked for SIM card number (need to take SIM out - note that there is a pin in the package for this purpose) and IMEI number (on the iPhone package cover). In about two minutes it was activated.
  • Reply 14 of 130
    all the hype about the preordering and shipping for delivery today, and after waiting for my delivery, it's making me wait "up to 48 hours" to activate and actually USE the phone i just paid $300 for? nice, at&t. if i were you, i would just hang my head in shame. lets' recap:

1. i wont actually count your attempt to overprice the phone, as you relented.

2. no tethering

3. no mms.

4. no activation - effectively wasting my time preordering. i should have just gone to the store.

bet this is your last "exclusive" iphone release. you have done nothing to earn our hearts, mind, or dollars. i cant wait for verizon to carry the iphone.
  • Reply 15 of 130
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by slesherinyork View Post

Lucky You!!! \ Thanks Apple! I guess I have to carry both around when mine finally starts to work? So much for a Happy Father's Day weekend!

My activation doesn't work also. But I just pop the old sim card from my iPhone 2G into the 3GS and it activated it. I guess this only works if you already have an activated iPhone (sim card) with you. I'm now using the 3GS. Very excited.

Btw, this is my first post. Registered just to share my experience so we have less frustrated iPhone users.
  • Reply 16 of 130
    adamwadamw Posts: 114guest
    Apple is probably working on this as fast as possible. To handle this load about once a year probably doesn't justify building extra infrastructure. Hopefully these activations will happen via E-mail soon.
  • Reply 17 of 130
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

One person did...... Steve Jobs.
  • Reply 18 of 130
    I had no problems activating, activated fine around 12:30 PM EST
  • Reply 19 of 130
    kasperkasper Posts: 941member, administrator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by adamw View Post

Apple is probably working on this as fast as possible. To handle this load about once a year probably doesn't justify building extra infrastructure. Hopefully these activations will happen via E-mail soon.

There's a lot of people here that wouldn't agree with you =P
  • Reply 20 of 130
    bigmc6000bigmc6000 Posts: 767member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by techyogi View Post

all the hype about the preordering and shipping for delivery today, and after waiting for my delivery, it's making me wait "up to 48 hours" to activate and actually USE the phone i just paid $300 for? nice, at&t. if i were you, i would just hang my head in shame. lets' recap:

1. i wont actually count your attempt to overprice the phone, as you relented.

2. no tethering

3. no mms.

4. no activation - effectively wasting my time preordering. i should have just gone to the store.

bet this is your last "exclusive" iphone release. you have done nothing to earn our hearts, mind, or dollars. i cant wait for verizon to carry the iphone.

Judging from your verbiage I'm guessing you didn't get one so they are not making *you* do anything...