Apple warns iPhone 3G S activations may take up to 2 days

Comments

• Reply 41 of 130
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Why do people wait in lines anyway- for anything? \
  • Reply 42 of 130
    italiankiditaliankid Posts: 279member
    Apple had only 2 years to figure it out...

Hopefully in 2015 they will get it right.
  • Reply 43 of 130
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ort View Post

So how does this work exactly. If I'm on AT&T now, and go update to an iPhone tonight, does my old phone die while I wait for the iPhone to activate? Will I be phone-less indefinitely?

I think your old phone will continue to work until the point when ATT registered your line with your new phone and switch to it.
  • Reply 44 of 130
    Please..... my computer is not water proof. You have the best phone in the world in your hands and you're still crying...... patients.
  • Reply 45 of 130
    pkstreetpkstreet Posts: 21member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Why do people wait in lines anyway- for anything? \

Excellent question! But going on experience from the launch in 2007, it was fun to hang out with other nerds and relatively painless. Today however was not the same...
  • Reply 46 of 130
    jkozjkoz Posts: 48member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by abby1448 View Post

I first connect the new 3GS to iTune. It already has a sim inside. iTune tried to activate it but show me the "wait 48 hours" message. I then swap the sim from my 2G phone and 3GS activated itself. Simple as that. I think the step is

1. Connect the new 3GS to iTune, allow it to attempt to activate.

2. When failed, swap the old sim in. 3GS will now activate itself.

Mine activated in 60 seconds or so. I'd rather leave the new SIM inside in case there was any improvement from the one in my 2G, had it not. Hopefully these issues aren't widespread.
  • Reply 47 of 130
    tomkarltomkarl Posts: 239member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kasper View Post

Your current iPhone continues to function until your new ones is activated. You just have to carry both around in the interim incase the switch happens when your out, because your current phone will lose service as soon as your new one picks up service.

K

Not the case here. Two first gen phones here that are showing no service while the new 3GS's are waiting for activation.
  • Reply 48 of 130
    wally626wally626 Posts: 72member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DanaCameron View Post

Really? The iPhone 3.0 Software Update is applied through iTunes, as is Activation. Or so I thought.

Mine said it was activating (iTunes from home), but at the bottom of the panel it said at some point, unplug and re-plug the phone to finish the process. If I had not noticed that I may have waited a long time to do the unplug re-plug, the main screen was still saying it was not activated.
  • Reply 49 of 130
    icfireballicfireball Posts: 2,594member
    Quote:

Really? The iPhone 3.0 Software Update is applied through iTunes, as is Activation. Or so I thought.

iTunes is the front end. It's like a web browser-- It can visit multiple websites. Software update is Apple's servers. Activation is AT&T's servers.
  • Reply 50 of 130
    kindredmackindredmac Posts: 153member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ktappe View Post

Software update and activation use entirely different servers, so you're comparing apples & oranges.

Not quite my friend. Don't you remember the ordeal last year where a bunch of 2G iPhones were bricked because when they upgraded the OS the day that the 3G came out, it has to re-activate the phone through the server as well. Hence OS update and activation are tied together.
  • Reply 51 of 130
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tomkarl View Post

Not the case here. Two first gen phones here that are showing no service while the new 3GS's are waiting for activation.

this concerns me. i want to activate my new phone, but i can't be without a phone all weekend.

are your 1st gen phones still usable in all other functionality? i want to use mine as an ipod and remote
  • Reply 52 of 130
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pkstreet View Post

Excellent question! But going on experience from the launch in 2007, it was fun to hang out with other nerds and relatively painless. Today however was not the same...

Hanging out in line at my local Apple Store for the 3G was fun. Same with Leopard. The Apple Store staff really create a festive atmosphere. I don't know about today though; I didn't spring for a 3GS.
  • Reply 53 of 130
    luvwkndluvwknd Posts: 4member
    Really, I guess Apple should have used Microsoft Windows servers and they could have elievated that problem! But then again with Jobs out with AIDS the rest of the Apple morons probably didn't know the Apple servers couldn't handle the load!

ha ha
  • Reply 54 of 130
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by subie09lega View Post

This is the reason that they should have let the preorders deliver early rather than holding them at carrier distribution centers. That would have staggered the demand on the servers and would have helped to mitigate the problems they are facing yet again.

Yep, very true. Not sure why they don't do it that way.

Same problem happened with 3.0 two days ago, to a lesser extent. I don't understand why they don't do a time zone by time zone rollout of that type stuff.
  • Reply 55 of 130
    mrjazzmrjazz Posts: 2member
    Got my 3G S at Manhattan Beach, Ca. store this morning at 7:00 AM went home and set it up. Within 15 minutes had full activation. Everything working great.

Maybe I was lucky to get activated before the servers got jammed.

Cheers

mrjazz
  • Reply 56 of 130
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by icfireball View Post

iTunes is the front end. It's like a web browser-- It can visit multiple websites. Software update is Apple's servers. Activation is AT&T's servers.

That makes sense.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by KindredMac View Post

Not quite my friend. Don't you remember the ordeal last year where a bunch of 2G iPhones were bricked because when they upgraded the OS the day that the 3G came out, it has to re-activate the phone through the server as well. Hence OS update and activation are tied together.

But then?

So which is it?
  • Reply 57 of 130
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    It's the exclusive provider subsidy to blame. Without that there would be no need for activation.
  • Reply 58 of 130
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

That makes sense.

But then?

So which is it?

iTunes is just the front end. It connects to many servers for media, software and the activations. Whether these are all housed near other or not is irrelevant, the activations are from AT&T, even if they might come via an iPhone DB on Apple?s side that is being synced with AT&T servers, though that sounds like more trouble than it?s worth.
  • Reply 59 of 130
    thanks, abby1448. that worked PERFECTLY. all, this solved the issue below immediately. so if you are upgrading from an older iphone to the new one and cant activate, there's your solution. better than the 30 minutes i wasted with at&t!

-ty

Quote:
    Originally Posted by techyogi View Post

all the hype about the preordering and shipping for delivery today, and after waiting for my delivery, it's making me wait "up to 48 hours" to activate and actually USE the phone i just paid $300 for? nice, at&t. if i were you, i would just hang my head in shame. lets' recap:

1. i wont actually count your attempt to overprice the phone, as you relented.

2. no tethering

3. no mms.

4. no activation - effectively wasting my time preordering. i should have just gone to the store.

bet this is your last "exclusive" iphone release. you have done nothing to earn our hearts, mind, or dollars. i cant wait for verizon to carry the iphone.

• Reply 60 of 130
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

It's the exclusive provider subsidy to blame. Without that there would be no need for activation.

Even if it was available on other carriers there would still be activation required so I don?t think the problem would go away, just dissipate across more carrier servers.