Post iphone 3Gs launch: What comes next?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
So the iphone 3Gs has launched..........ok firstly I must comment on this.

What the hell? Why are there long lines all over the planet for what is really just an incremental launch? Yes its nice and all but not all THAT special to warrant all this activity today.

Whatever.

Anyways, what does everyone think will be Apple's next product launches for the remainder of the year.

And what do you think and how many events do you think is left on the calendar for 2009?

There are some products that come to mind:

the Apple tablet (of course). And the ipods. The macbooks as you all well know have been updated this past WWDC so there will be no more updates. The macs themselves.....I sincerely doubt it in terms of updates for the remainder of 2009.

What are you hopes for products?

I myself (besides the tablet) am hoping, finally, for an ipod suitable for working out that has a remote. No, wait, there already is one. I mean, I would like to see that remote control, watch band like device be the actual mp3 player. Because that tiny pill size shuffle they have now is so small now thats almost impractical. They certainly need to update that ridiculous earbuds/control mechanism. The commands for it are too complex.

What I would like to see and am hoping for is a voice controlled ipod nano or ipod shuffle. And that voice control should be from an Apple designed bluetooth earbud headset just as small as the sony hbh-is800 but with volume controls and a decent battery life.

But thats me. Your wishes or ideas?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    Can't forget about snow leopard on the software side of things.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    krispiekrispie Posts: 260member
    It's a pretty significant update if you're still on the original model iPhone, isn't it?
  • Reply 3 of 9
    olternautolternaut Posts: 1,376member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by krispie View Post

It's a pretty significant update if you're still on the original model iPhone, isn't it?

Ah. I almost forgot about that. But didn't most of the original iphone owners immediately upgraded to 3G?

If most if not all of the original iphone owners didn't upgrade to the 3G and waited the full two years (which is now) to upgrade then I could understand the lines.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,419member
    Now that the iPhone is done I hope we see:

iPod Touch - Cortex A8 with camera

iTablet - Ten inch touchscreen, Cortex A8 processor. iPhone app compatibility but Mac OS X is the standard OS.

iPod Nano- add camera and up the 32GB of storage

iWeb Pro - Apple's Dreamweaver killer

iMac Pro - Lynnfield Quad Core Nehalem, beefier aluminum enclosure with dual 2.5" drive bays

Macbook Pro+ - Clarksfield Quad Core processor

Apple Cinema Display LED 30" - self explanatory

Final Cut Studio

Aperture

Logic Studio

World Peace
  • Reply 5 of 9
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

World Peace

You say world peace, but I'm sure you meant to say World War III. Cause the way we're behaving around the world at the moment, that sounds more logical.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Olternaut View Post

So the iphone 3Gs has launched..........ok firstly I must comment on this.

What the hell? Why are there long lines all over the planet for what is really just an incremental launch? Yes its nice and all but not all THAT special to warrant all this activity today.

Whatever.

maybe not special to you, but for many it is a vast improvement. Even at that I don't understand the waiting in line bit. I got my 3G a well after debut by walking up to an AT&T store and ordering one. No lines no wait and everybody was calm.

Personally I see it as a personality defect myself. But that would pull this thread off track.

Quote:

Anyways, what does everyone think will be Apple's next product launches for the remainder of the year.

lots of good stuff.

Quote:

And what do you think and how many events do you think is left on the calendar for 2009?

who said there would be events?

What I expect to see or maybe better want to see:

Updated iMacs with quad core processors.

IPod update. This to include new Nanos, Touches and Classics. The Nanos will likely get Cameras and a hybrid Touch interface, the Classic will get updated to a SSD and maybe a larger screen with hybrid Touch.

The actual Touch is where the really interesting things will start to happen. Here I'm expecting that one model will remain very similar to what we have now but will be lower in cost, the idea being a low entry point to the Touch family. Newer models will explore new concepts such as GPS integration and additional environmental sensors. There will also be a larger model to add functionality of a larger screen a Newton 2 if you will. The Newton 2 might be optimized for video playback or a video iPod might actually be a separate device. I believe all the rumors about a tablet Mac is just that, instead what Apple is working on is a consummer device derived from Newton/Touch optimized for video or eBook usage.

New Video displays in several different sizes. Hey we can hope.

Mac Mini update. Mostly Quad core here but I have this idea that the current Mini has run it's course. So don't be surprised if something entirely new doesn't replace it.

Mac Book AIR dies or Apple pulls it's head out of it's ass and configures the machine to actually be usefull to enough people that it sells decently. Right now all I see is negatives associated with AIR.

New networking equipment or maybe more exactly updates. The devices with storage will get more storage.

Related to the above Apple buys Drobo to fill out it's network attached storage lineup. Well not just network attached as the Firewire unit has it's uses two. Such devices might be worked into a package that creates a Media Server.

As noted above a Media server would be nice. Apple will do this via a software package, where the storage device/devices is up to the user.

Snow Leopard of course. This will bring massive updates to pro apps, so expect new release of many of Apples pro apps after SL comes out. Actually this is more than an Apple thing, expect a lot of pro hardware to hit the streets after SL, both in the form of updates and new products.

More iPhones. The GS is a nice update of current hardware but I'm still expecting something new a profoundly different than the current model. The fact that people have found references to more devices than have been revealed at WWDC should be telling. I don't know exactlly what it is but the new iPhone should hit before the end of the year.

IProjector. Really an Apple branded projector of high resolution.

There is a remote possibility that the 17" laptop will get reved before the end of the year. This depends on how truely close the intel 32 nm portable chips are. If they are a ways off into next year then I can see one more rev this year to keep things in a holding pattern of sorts. Whatever the update is it will be minor to hold us over.

This is a wild ass wish more than anything but I'd love to see Apple set up an instrumentation division. To this they would bring the Mobile/Touch OS and their software skills. The operating system is a great platform upon which they could build really innovative DVMs, Temp probe/meters, function generators and other electronic instrumentation. Admittedly a long shot but the potential is there for totally refactoring this industry.

Ok a bakers dozen to chew on. Are you happy now?

Quote:

There are some products that come to mind:

the Apple tablet (of course). And the ipods. The macbooks as you all well know have been updated this past WWDC so there will be no more updates. The macs themselves.....I sincerely doubt it in terms of updates for the remainder of 2009.

actually iMac and to a lesser extent the Mini are critical for updates as it would be dilly for Apple to only have dual core machines available after SL arrives. It is pretty stupid right now for anybody that realizes SL is coming. Apple will need to have a lot of brass to debut SL and all of it's improvements, including improved threading/SMP support and then have no low end hardware upon which it can be exploited.

Quote:

What are you hopes for products?

See the above comments. I'm tapped out as far as computer hardware goes, so whatever they offer up I do hope that it isn't to attractive. Need to hold off to 2010 at the very least.

Quote:

I myself (besides the tablet) am hoping, finally, for an ipod suitable for working out that has a remote. No, wait, there already is one. I mean, I would like to see that remote control, watch band like device be the actual mp3 player. Because that tiny pill size shuffle they have now is so small now thats almost impractical. They certainly need to update that ridiculous earbuds/control mechanism. The commands for it are too complex.

Oh man more whining about how the tiny Shuffle outwits the mass of gray matter between a persons ears. READ CAREFULLY: it is not that difficult! Look it is simple, the smaller the device the more limited the user interface. There is no way to get around that.

As to your watch like device, it isn't a bad idea but really there won't be that much more room for an improved user interface. There would be even less room for a battery. It's an idea with potential as well as problems.

Quote:

What I would like to see and am hoping for is a voice controlled ipod nano or ipod shuffle. And that voice control should be from an Apple designed bluetooth earbud headset just as small as the sony hbh-is800 but with volume controls and a decent battery life.

I don't think you will see another Apple Bluetooth headset, it just opens them up to too many potential lawsuits. As it is we have enough problems these days with people walking around in a daze talking on their cells, we don't need to add to the problem with MP3 players.

Quote:

But thats me. Your wishes or ideas?

my primary desire is for an iPhone OS based tablet that is sized large enough to offer up good quality movie playback and that can function as an e-Book reader. In otherwords paperback sized. Of course it needs to also offer up everything else that Touch has today, but it's forte should be the presentation of these two forms of media. Personally I think all the cries for Mac OS on a tablet are just plain stupid, it has never worked before and it won't work just because Apple does it. Tablets need a tablet specific UIKit and that is what iPhone offers up, so build from there.

Dave
  • Reply 7 of 9
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

You say world peace, but I'm sure you meant to say World War III. Cause the way we're behaving around the world at the moment, that sounds more logical.

What we are seeing today is the net result of policies of tolerance, conflict avoidance and appeasement. Sorry folks that just makes things worst, the fact that we have a weak willed president now only invites more flagrant behaviour from the likes of North Korea and the middles east. We are fortunate in that many in the middle east see past their governments dispicable behaviour but are saddened that they do nothing about it. It is even more unfortunate that the people in North Korea have no idea. This doesn't even address the issue our tolerance of bad behaviour in North Africa has caused us.

The big problem is that we as Americans have to realize that to do any good around the world you need to be prepared to utterly destroy deviant countries. That is wipe them off the map. Playing footsies in the middle east like we have done in Iraq is just plain stupid.

We also need not be shy about declaring what is acceptable as far as a countries behaviour goes. When countries fall out of line they simply need to cease to exist.

Dave
  • Reply 8 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

If when you say "we're" your referring to collective humanity then I can understand. If though your trying single out a certain country then you had seriously better rethink what you just said. In my opinion we are already in WWIII. Its just turning out to be more subtle than we thought. Anyways, lets stick to the topic hmm?

I SERIOUSLY want a voice controlled ipod. In fact, I can bet you money that there will NOT be an ipod nano with a camera. Maybe the next gen ipod touch will but not the nano.

My bet is that Apple will introduce a voice control ipod shuffle or nano so that you can easily control your ipod when working out. That dumb proprietary earbuds for the shuffle is just not working out. At least imo.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

As to your watch like device, it isn't a bad idea but really there won't be that much more room for an improved user interface. There would be even less room for a battery. It's an idea with potential as well as problems.

I don't think you will see another Apple Bluetooth headset, it just opens them up to too many potential lawsuits. As it is we have enough problems these days with people walking around in a daze talking on their cells, we don't need to add to the problem with MP3 players.

Dave

I'm sorry but I must strongly disagree with you about the bluetooth headset. I firmly believe we are going to see a small, earbuds like bluetooth headset coming from Apple very soon. Its going to be similar to the sony hbh-is800 but with better battery and volume controls.

By the way, I was able to return the said sony hbh-is800 bluetooth headset back to the store. They're going to give me a refund with no problems. If it wasn't for the fact that the idiots at sony chose not to include volume controls on the device I wouldn't have taken it back.

I bought the thing just so I could use it with my ipod touch G2 with the new 3.0 software unlocking bluetooth. At the time, I didn't mind the sony headset not having volume controls because I thought ipod touch would take care of that. But wouldn't you know it, the bluetooth profile Apple uses locks the volume controls. So I was stuck with very expensive earbuds set at maximum volume. I have sensitive ears and I wasn't about to go deaf over a fancy headset. So back the earbuds went.

EDIT: Oh, and your crack about me whining about the new shuffle controls is silly. Yes, I can understand how to use them. But they are definately too complex to control when your running. There are too many commands to run through so much so that it gets clumsy to do when your trying to keep an 8:00 pace. You have to break your stride to run through the shuffle's commands when you want a certain playlist at a certain time.

Voice control would solve that problem.

What I might settle for is the current ipod nano wrist remote with a new gen ipod nano with a built in bluetooth receiver. I don't like plugging in a separate receiver into the nano. I think we might see that first before we ever see a camera in the nano.