Steve Jobs' return to Apple linked to liver transplant

Comments

• Reply 21 of 115
    Speedy recovery to you.
  • Reply 22 of 115
    sigs21sigs21 Posts: 82member
    The WSJ is so reliable these days.. Who they consult Dr. William Gates Sr. and his Son...
  • Reply 23 of 115
    floorjackfloorjack Posts: 2,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ChuckD View Post

Although Steve will recover and return to work soon, the situation is clearly dire in the long term. According to the WSJ, Steve's metastasized cancer treatment will extend his lifespan to no more than 10 years. Despite being pure speculation, this is pretty bad news considering how it was initially referred to as a simple 'chemical imbalance.'

I am deeply saddenned by the news but hope Steve beats the odds and lives on for many, many years to see his kids become of age.

Best wishes!

Chuck

Actually it didn't say that. What it said was that people with the cancer that Jobs has can live up to 10 years and the efficacy of the transplant is unknown.

Quote:

Getting a liver transplant to treat a metastasized neuroendocrine tumor is controversial because livers are scarce and the surgery's efficacy as a cure hasn't been proved, Dr. Hawkins added. He said that patients whose tumors have metastasized can live for as many as 10 years without any treatment so it is hard to determine how successful a transplant has been in curing the disease.

• Reply 24 of 115
    As a GI medical oncologist, I can assure you that a liver transplantation is one of the options to treat a metastatic neuroendocrine cancer of the pancreas. What most people do not realize is that SJ did NOT suffer from a "normal" pancreatic cancer, but from a rare tumor called "islet cell cancer", which is associated with a much better prognosis than pancreatic cancer. These tumors unfortunately commonly metastasize (seed) into the liver - but a liver transplant can cure patients.

The WSJ story is perfectly plausible and explains some of the issues I was wondering about, e.g. the predefined set time frame of SJ's return to work.
  • Reply 25 of 115
    doroteadorotea Posts: 323member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kiseki View Post

I'm skeptical about this "news". If he really did suffer a relapse of his cancer, the last thing he'd want to do would be to get any kind of transplant. Cancer cells are formed in our bodies all the time but fortunately we have immune systems which destroy most of them and protect us.

If you get a transplant and take the required immunosuppressants, that's probably the worst thing for your cancer since you're removing your only innate protection against cancer cells.

I have to agree with you. A transplant seems the worst thing to do for a cancer patient. Steroids are used (massive amounts of prednisone) are used to suppress the immune system... over time it shreds the immune system - doesn't seem reasonable for a cancer patient who needs the cancer cells to be destroyed by the immune system.
  • Reply 26 of 115
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Pascal007 View Post

Because all it takes is a single cancer cell somewhere else in the body to allow the cancer to continue its progression. And it is more than likely that this may have happened in this case. Chemotherapy is used to try to kill that elusive cell, but the efficacy of chemotherapy is far from being excellent...

B s.

I just finished 8 months of chemo and radition for throat cancer. And dude shut the f up.

A single cancer cell ?? That is not how my cancer progresses. And every cancer is different . And different types of cancer can attack the same place of your body.

So you can't fucking generalize. You have to be specific to that cancer.

No doctor ever found a single cancer cell . They look for clumps of maybe 100 or 500 cells. No tests can show one call and every human alive has at least 20 cancer cells or more at anyone time. It is a problem when they grow and spread and after treatment like my throat cancer, they now look at my chest and head only. It does not jump all over, That's my type of cancer. Some other types of cancers can jump. They are the deadly ones. Pancreatic cancer is maybe the worst or if not one the worst its up there. Steve jobs went thru hell for a long time with his illness .

Chemo is an excellent killer of cancer cells when added with heavy radition. There are some

Non-cancerous cells that after treatment TURN cancerous . Yet they even gave me chemo for those cells too. I was very very very ill from the treatments for 7 months or more , I am still as some people here know still feeble at times . RADITION sucks.

SO you all should shut the fuck up if you don't know specifically steve jobs type of cancer which is pancreatic. And what it entails having pancreatic cancer . Does it spread etc , etc.

My doctors had a great fear of damage to my kidneys . Did this happen to steve ??

If yay GONNA post here about specific cures rates or whatever please be a doctor or a expert or find an expert and get him here. Make sure your accurate .

My heart goes out to steve and his family, and I hope we get the real story soon.

• Reply 27 of 115
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Molly Jensen View Post

That's easy, he made it up. Most of what he said is incorrect.

Why/how do you say that? Care to elaborate? O/w, why should we believe you?
  • Reply 28 of 115
    rot'napplerot'napple Posts: 1,839member
    Let's wait until the end of June.

Wasn't that when Steve was supposed to return?

Are those rumors of another big product announcement still out there that would be "timed" with Steve's return or is that debunked.

If there is some new Mac announcement, it's probably where Steve will let us know what's been going on firsthand as opposed to the WSJ or some other news source, prior to introducing whatever the rumors have been claiming is out there.

In the meantime, heed your Doctor's advice and take it easy while you are still recuperating and like the rest of the posts here, wishing you well Steve. Wishing you well.
  • Reply 29 of 115
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by agrothey View Post

As a GI medical oncologist, I can assure you that a liver transplantation is one of the options to treat a metastatic neuroendocrine cancer of the pancreas. What most people do not realize is that SJ did NOT suffer from a "normal" pancreatic cancer, but from a rare tumor called "islet cell cancer", which is associated with a much better prognosis than pancreatic cancer. These tumors unfortunately commonly metastasize (seed) into the liver - but a liver transplant can cure patients.

The WSJ story is perfectly plausible and explains some of the issues I was wondering about, e.g. the predefined set time frame of SJ's return to work.

Thank you for your post . Could you tell us more ??

and i guess steve's cancer has come back .
  • Reply 30 of 115
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    Quote:

That is making more sense. Thanks.
  • Reply 31 of 115
    Get well soon, Mr Jobs. The tech world isn't the same without you.
  • Reply 32 of 115
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    My uncle's liver-transplant went so well it basically gave it a second chance, and now he's full of live again, to a certain extent. These operations can be quite successful, from what I've witnessed.
  • Reply 33 of 115
    hookmanhookman Posts: 1member
    "According to the WSJ, Steve's metastasized cancer treatment will extend his lifespan to no more than 10 years"

....the journal didn't even come close to saying this. It simply said it's hard to determine if the transplant option will help because people with the same liver condiditon as Jobs typically live > 10 years with NO treatment...thus it's hard to compare the transplant to the no treatment scenario. Doesn't seem as bad as you make it out to be.

this too shall pass Steve, rock on.
  • Reply 34 of 115
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Molly Jensen View Post

That's easy, he made it up. Most of what he said is incorrect.

Wow, a nice blanket statement for someone with two posts.

Care to elaborate on your opinion? What he said is spot on so unless you are willing to elaborate, your the one full of it.
  • Reply 35 of 115
    nano_tubenano_tube Posts: 114member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brucep View Post

I just finished 8 months of chemo and radition for throat cancer. And dude shut the f up.

brucep, I hope you get over this man. I wish you good health and happiness.

Live long & prosper \\V/

• Reply 36 of 115
    nano_tubenano_tube Posts: 114member
    Quote:

Thanks for posting.

It now makes more sense.
  • Reply 37 of 115
    dimmokdimmok Posts: 359member
    Get well SJ.....
  • Reply 38 of 115
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    I have no idea, but I wonder if the liver transplant was not due to the cancer spreading. Perhaps it was another issue...a reaction to treatment or wholly separate?

Secondly, I think Apple is full of shit. If he had a liver transplant and Apple didn't say anything, that's not right. Your CEO, who is described as a "luminary" my major pubs, has a liver transplant and you don't say anything? WTF? The fact is that Steve is wrong...his health is not a private matter. It's quite public because he is the CEO of a publicly traded corporation that depends on him...morseo than probably any other corporation on Earth.

Last...I wish him well. Let's hope he's got many years left.
  • Reply 39 of 115
    macnycmacnyc Posts: 342member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brucep View Post

A single cancer cell ?? That is not how my cancer progresses. And every cancer is different . And different types of cancer can attack the same place of your body.

So you can't fucking generalize. You have to be specific to that cancer.

No doctor ever found a single cancer cell . They look for clumps of maybe 100 or 500 cells. No tests can show one call and every human alive has at least 20 cancer cells or more at anyone time. It is a problem when they grow and spread and after treatment like my throat cancer, they now look at my chest and head only. It does not jump all over, That's my type of cancer. Some other types of cancers can jump. They are the deadly ones. Pancreatic cancer is maybe the worst or if not one the worst its up there. Steve jobs went thru hell for a long time with his illness .

Chemo is an excellent killer of cancer cells when added with heavy radition. There are some

Non-cancerous cells that after treatment TURN cancerous . Yet they even gave me chemo for those cells too. I was very very very ill from the treatments for 7 months or more , I am still as some people here know still feeble at times . RADITION sucks.

SO you all should shut the fuck up if you don't know specifically steve jobs type of cancer which is pancreatic. And what it entails having pancreatic cancer . Does it spread etc , etc.

My doctors had a great fear of damage to my kidneys . Did this happen to steve ??

If yay GONNA post here about specific cures rates or whatever please be a doctor or a expert or find an expert and get him here. Make sure your accurate .

My heart goes out to steve and his family, and I hope we get the real story soon.

Were you a smoker?
  • Reply 40 of 115
    macnycmacnyc Posts: 342member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aueua View Post

Totally agree!

A liver transplant to fight against pancreatic cancer's metastasis is pretty an oncologic nonsense and I guess almost any expert would discourage it.

I urge The Wall Street Journal to find a more reliable medical consultant and/or better review its sources...

All the best Steve!

Aueua!

LOL! I love how so many people on this site are know-it-alls. Not only do they know everything about electronics but now they know everything about cancer and a patient that they have never even met much less diagnosed!

Can you also see into the future?