Steve Jobs' return to Apple linked to liver transplant

Comments

• Reply 41 of 115
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brucep View Post

Thank you for your post . Could you tell us more ??

and i guess steve's cancer has come back .

OK - here is more. I want to caution everyone, though, that I have at no time been involved in SJ's care and that I only gather information from what everyone else is reading - with my background as a medical oncologist who is actually treating patients with islet cell cancers like SJ.

Apple routinely mentioned an "hormonal imbalance" as reason for SJ's weight loss. Now, islet cell cancers can produce certain hormones (such as glucagon, somatostatin, vasoactive-intestinal peptide (VIP) etc) which can interfere with a normal gastrointestinal function and the way a body utilizes nutrients (carbohydrates, protein, fat). When an islet cell cancer recurs and produces liver metastases, these hormonal effects can lead to significant and rapid weight loss. Thus, it could well be that Apple's statements were somewhat true. Right now it does appear that SJ's tumor had spread to his liver, which is commonly the ONLY site of spread within a body. That's why it can makes sense to replace the liver in certain cases - and I am sure he will have been carefully evaluated for this.

For now we should wish him well and hope that he will be recovering fast. Again, the liver transplantation can offer a chance of cure in this situation - and that's I guess most important.
  • Reply 42 of 115
    mactrippermactripper Posts: 1,328member
    It might be too late now

Quote:

SANIBEL ISLAND, FL -- A Florida retiree battling cancer himself has discovered a possible method of killing cancerous cells with radio waves.

If it works, it could be the "Holy Grail" of cancer treatments.

His is the great American story. A broadcast engineer, who shrewdly evolves into the owner of several TV and radio stations, sells them for a bundle and retires early to picturesque Sanibel Island.

But Easter 2002, began an unexpected chapter in the story of John Kanzius, a year and-a-half after he retired. He was diagnosed with a severe form of leukemia.

Soon after receiving this news, Kanzius began his punishing chemotherapy and was heartbroken at its effects on fellow patients, especially children.

"There was one scene I could not forget and that was the young children came in with smiles and a week later see those smiles disappear and so forth and literally would watch them waste away," recalls Kanzius.

Necessity is the mother of invention and the need for a gentler treatment for those sick children proved a powerful motivator for Kanzius, a tinkerer, inventor and grandfather.

"We really haven't developed a better way other than going into people's veins and putting systemic drugs into them and hoping we kill the cancer before we kill the person," Kanzius says.

Kanzius wrestled with the idea of a better way and in the middle of the night in October 2003 inspiration struck: kill cancerous cells with radio waves.

"I had all the equipment that one could use for sending and picking up radio signals."

He was a ham radio operator.

Kanzius continues, "And all I needed in my house was antennas. And the best thing that worked as antennas at 3 o'clock in the morning was my wife's pie pans."

Startled out of bed by clattering in the kitchen, wife Marianne found her husband cutting up her pie pans.

"I got up and immediately thought he'd lost it," says Marianne Kanzius.

His idea might have sounded crazy but he wasn't. Here are the basics of his idea.

Radio waves for the most part are harmless but they will heat certain metals. Gold is one of those metals and was also previously FDA-approved for use in humans.

A lab provided Kanzius with what is essentially gold, broken down into the tiniest possible size. They're called nanoparticles.

These nanoparticles are injected into a cancer patient and are attracted to the abnormalities of the cancerous cells, attaching themselves to those bad cells. What's more, the nanoparticles ignore healthy cells.

The patient is then exposed to radio waves and only the bad cells heat up and die. The healthy cells, which have no metal on them, are not warmed up at all and are unaffected.

Early, crude experiments done on hot dogs in his garage seemed to work. In 2004, Kanzius showed the results to a prominent cancer researcher.

"He said, 'You know this is the most amazing thing I've ever read in my life,'" proudly recalls Kanzius.

Today Kanzius has several universities working on his research and a manufacturer now builds clinical-sized versions of the machine he first built with radio parts and his wife's pie pans.

This 62-year-old Florida retiree with no medical background whatsoever has grabbed the attention of the medical community.

"We could be getting close to grabbing the Holy Grail," says physician Dr. Dan Pulsipher.

Kanzius spends 70 hours of his retirement every week working on a cure, still motivated by those children he saw in chemotherapy.

"My best term scenario would be to watch a patient get treated and have a doctor tell them they're cured. To me, that would be all the thanks I would need."

Human trials are expected to begin in a couple of years.

I read somewhere else that rabbits treated with this method had 100% cure of cancer.

Somebody tell Steve.

http://www.wkyc.com/news/news_articl...?storyid=67742
  • Reply 43 of 115
    Thank you Dr Agrothey for shedding sensible information on this situation.

I started reading about the liver transplant last night (PDT). Shocked even though Bloomberg reported the possibility a few months ago.

Praying for Steve and sending him well-wishes, healing vibrations, vibrant good health affirmations. Steve is an amazing genius towering over almost all mortal men. Often God gives these giants extreme tests and trials also. Can only send appreciation and strength and support.

Heal well and completely, Steve, and decades more thriving life on earth to you!
  • Reply 44 of 115
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macnyc View Post

Were you a smoker?

He was a long time Windows user constantly yelling at his PC. Doctor told him had to get a Mac if expects to ever recover.
  • Reply 45 of 115
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Nano_tube View Post

brucep, I hope you get over this man. I wish you good health and happiness.

Live long & prosper \\V/

Thank you. < \\V/ >

I was immersed in the world of cancer. I was at the sloan Kettering in NYC . ALL they do is cancer.

They did a triple chemo regimen that forced me in the hospital for weeks at a time, with arm infections and blood clots. The chemo side effects were real bad. But the docs were aggressive, they were in the hunt for my cancer cells, so they brought to the brink a few times.

Since it was in my neck throat area I still can't swallow so good. I am one of the lucky one's many can never ever swallow again, the radition blasts the whole area. For the moment the docs say I am cancer free, They will retest every 3 months. After 5 years I can say the word remission. Until then I hold my 2 kids very near me. 8 and 6 yrs old and they love anything apple. My son tommy whines about the dells in school being so slow. He is playing halo right now. We watch the APPLE TV ads all the time . All 3 yrs worth.

I am very lucky so many kind souls at that hospital were so much worse off than me. And the children never ever cried. Never ever! When I was getting 6 weeks of daily radition we had 3 kids coming in at the same time. The children were like bald rag dolls. So weak. SO fragile. Yet I could always engage them, NO THATS NOT TRUE I WAS at the end of my radition chemo treatment's and very near insane, It was the children who engaged me. They remembered my name when I was dribbling from the mouth. They laughed and joked with me and my sons . They were 100x more brave than me and 2 of the 3 sadly passed.

I never wanted to recount this here. But if ONE person quits smoking from this story then fine . I smoked for 35 yrs pot and ciggie;s. I was the cool Marlboro man. In truth smoking is more addictive than heroin. If you smoke please stop. I beg you. Please quit.

You are welcome to pm me or consult a doctor about quitting.

Now I will turn my prays to Steve Jobs and his extended family .

Get well soon dude .

• Reply 46 of 115
    Quote:

were you a smoker?

yes .

• Reply 47 of 115
    aueuaaueua Posts: 3member
    Quote:

LOL! I love how so many people on this site are know-it-alls. Not only do they know everything about electronics but now they know everything about cancer and a patient that they have never even met much less diagnosed!

Can you also see into the future?

You're absolutely right macsync!

I should never have posted this, I'm really sorry!

Aueua!
  • Reply 48 of 115
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by agrothey View Post

OK - here is more. I want to caution everyone, though, that I have at no time been involved in SJ's care and that I only gather information from what everyone else is reading - with my background as a medical oncologist who is actually treating patients with islet cell cancers like SJ.

Apple routinely mentioned an "hormonal imbalance" as reason for SJ's weight loss. Now, islet cell cancers can produce certain hormones (such as glucagon, somatostatin, vasoactive-intestinal peptide (VIP) etc) which can interfere with a normal gastrointestinal function and the way a body utilizes nutrients (carbohydrates, protein, fat). When an islet cell cancer recurs and produces liver metastases, these hormonal effects can lead to significant and rapid weight loss. Thus, it could well be that Apple's statements were somewhat true. Right now it does appear that SJ's tumor had spread to his liver, which is commonly the ONLY site of spread within a body. That's why it can makes sense to replace the liver in certain cases - and I am sure he will have been carefully evaluated for this.

For now we should wish him well and hope that he will be recovering fast. Again, the liver transplantation can offer a chance of cure in this situation - and that's I guess most important.

Dear agrothey I know it is hard for you to say these things being on the outside of the situation.

But you help us a little to understand steve possible plight . If you have more to add down the road come back to this thread. i will look for you .

Thank you for that.

peace

• Reply 49 of 115
    macnycmacnyc Posts: 342member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by agrothey View Post

Steve Jobs is one of the "lucky" ones. My father wasn't so lucky, he had the "typical" pancreatic cancer. He went from a tall, built, ex high school football player, purple heart ex marine to nothing. He would like me to rub his neck and back and I couldn't understand how he enjoyed it as i was rubbing his paper-like skin against his bones. He no longer had any fat or muscle.

I wish Steve all the best.
  • Reply 50 of 115
    kibitzerkibitzer Posts: 1,114member
    Aside from Steve Jobs's medical issues, it's pretty clear from the keynote presentation at the WWDC 2009 that Jobs has firmly installed a unique product development and marketing culture at all levels within Apple. No matter how actively Jobs resumes his management role, his legacy has been established. The management and troops continually outstrip the competition and even lead the marketplace with innovations that actually anticipate customer wants and needs. This six-month hiatus of sorts has been a great testing period. Snow Leopard, the 3G S, iPhone software v. 3, and the freshened notebook line all demonstrate that Apple's powerful momentum continues unabated. Apple customers, employees and investors have Steve Jobs to thank for it.
  • Reply 51 of 115
    shadowshadow Posts: 373member
    Unfortunately, the information is likely true.

What bothers me is the timing. We had several bursts of media activity on SJ health already. Most of them turned out to be correct, but the timing suspiciously coincides with other [positive] Apple related news. Spreading FUD regarding SJ health either steals the spotlight from remarkable Apple new products/product launches or impressive financial results.

I might be paranoid but this does not mean my conspiracy theory is entirely wrong.

Really hope SJ will recover and stay with Apple for years to come.
  • Reply 52 of 115
    andrubyandruby Posts: 5member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTripper View Post

Early, crude experiments done on hot dogs in his garage seemed to work.

What the ..?? On hot dogs?

Well if it works out to be true than that's great. I look forward to the day cancer can be consistently cured.
  • Reply 53 of 115
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

He was a long time Windows user constantly yelling at his PC. Doctor told him had to get a Mac if expects to ever recover.

Making fun of other's illnesses?

Not cool.
  • Reply 54 of 115
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:

Thank you. < \\V/ >

I was immersed in the world of cancer. I was at the sloan Kettering in NYC . ALL they do is cancer.

They did a triple chemo regimen that forced me in the hospital for weeks at a time, with arm infections and blood clots. The chemo side effects were real bad. But the docs were aggressive, they were in the hunt for my cancer cells, so they brought to the brink a few times.

Since it was in my neck throat area I still can't swallow so good. I am one of the lucky one's many can never ever swallow again, the radition blasts the whole area. For the moment the docs say I am cancer free, They will retest every 3 months. After 5 years I can say the word remission. Until then I hold my 2 kids very near me. 8 and 6 yrs old and they love anything apple. My son tommy whines about the dells in school being so slow. He is playing halo right now. We watch the APPLE TV ads all the time . All 3 yrs worth.

I am very lucky so many kind souls at that hospital were so much worse off than me. And the children never ever cried. Never ever! When I was getting 6 weeks of daily radition we had 3 kids coming in at the same time. The children were like bald rag dolls. So weak. SO fragile. Yet I could always engage them, NO THATS NOT TRUE I WAS at the end of my radition chemo treatment's and very near insane, It was the children who engaged me. They remembered my name when I was dribbling from the mouth. They laughed and joked with me and my sons . They were 100x more brave than me and 2 of the 3 sadly passed.

I never wanted to recount this here. But if ONE person quits smoking from this story then fine . I smoked for 35 yrs pot and ciggie;s. I was the cool Marlboro man. In truth smoking is more addictive than heroin. If you smoke please stop. I beg you. Please quit.

You are welcome to pm me or consult a doctor about quitting.

Now I will turn my prays to Steve Jobs and his extended family .

Get well soon dude .

Bruce- My best to you. You're one of the few unbiased, funny guys around here.

Peace.
  • Reply 55 of 115
    mdcatmdcat Posts: 79member
    While I wish Jobs a complete and speedy recovery my first thought, which I have not seen anyone else mention here, is: how did he get to the head of the line so quickly? Many people die waiting for transplants or at least have to wait years
  • Reply 56 of 115
    lafelafe Posts: 252member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bonklers View Post

i'm sure they'll clone an organ for him, keep details secret, and he'll be around for a long long time.

iLiv

(This post has been artificially lengthened to comply with a five-character minimum.)
  • Reply 57 of 115
    Quote:

Is this a true story ? How could something like this remain hidden ?

Chicken Liver ??
  • Reply 58 of 115
    cbswecbswe Posts: 116member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdcat View Post

While I wish Jobs a complete and speedy recovery my first thought, which I have not seen anyone else mention here, is: how did he get to the head of the line so quickly? Many people die waiting for transplants or at least have to wait years

important people gets priority. when anna lindh, who was swedens foreign minister, was stabbed by a psychopath, the entire blood bank of stockholm was emptied in the attempt to rescue her (though they did not succeed)
  • Reply 59 of 115
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Bruce- My best to you. You're one of the few unbiased, funny guys around here.

Peace.

thank you
  • Reply 60 of 115
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTripper View Post

It might be too late now

I read somewhere else that rabbits treated with this method had 100% cure of cancer.

Somebody tell Steve.

http://www.wkyc.com/news/news_articl...?storyid=67742

According to wikipedia, the inventor died recently from side effects of chemotherapy...