iPhone 3G S Wi-fi

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Hi all,

Just got my 3G S yesterday and I am, so far, loving it. Very neat device that has been speedy and fun to play around with. Having such a device, I thought it would also be a good idea to join this forum. I have read a few of the articles here and, for the most part, people here seem to be very knowledgable and eager to help.

I have a question about the wi-fi. I am currently signed up with Fido in Canada. I know the wireless is free if you are connection to your own home network, but I got a strange message from Fido saying the following:

"You have used 100% of the MBs in your wireless Internet option. Additional

charges will apply for additional usage."

However, when I check the usage under "Cellular Network Data," it shows that I have 673 KB sent and 60.9 MB recieved. The reason it is so high so quick is that I mistakenly was downloading apps and what not while on the cellular network; I have since learned to recognize the wi-fi and the cellular icons.

Any help would be fantastic. I don't want to go over my data limit, but I don't see how this is possible at all, especially since I have been using wi-fi...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    rhysmrhysm Posts: 3member
    I should also note that I have the 500MB/month plan; I only plan on using it to check email, facebook, and simple stuff like that. For all other things, I was planning on using wi-fi.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    jkozjkoz Posts: 48member
    I'd just call them and find out if the message was in error, because it sure sounds like it was.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    I got the same thing from Fido, today, but with the 6 GB plan. The first CSR I talked to insisted I'd actually transferred all that data in the 21 hours I had the iPhone 3G S, and that I'd be billed for overage. The the CSR I got the second time I called in said he couldn't do anything until my next bill arrived. Ugh.

In the meantime, I'm going to use my phone as normal. According to the usage stats on the iPhone, I've only used 7 MB over the cell network so far. It must be an error, but the CSRs I've spoken with so far are clueless.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    rhysmrhysm Posts: 3member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by King Chung Huang View Post

I got the same thing from Fido, today, but with the 6 GB plan. The first CSR I talked to insisted I'd actually transferred all that data in the 21 hours I had the iPhone 3G S, and that I'd be billed for overage. The the CSR I got the second time I called in said he couldn't do anything until my next bill arrived. Ugh.

In the meantime, I'm going to use my phone as normal. According to the usage stats on the iPhone, I've only used 7 MB over the cell network so far. It must be an error, but the CSRs I've spoken with so far are clueless.

Yeah, I went and talked to the guy at Wireless Wave here, and he says that everyone has been getting those messages. As you said, there is no way you and I could have gone over the limit. The's one of the nice things about the "Usage" screen . He did say it wasn't 100% accurate (are they ever?); just give or take 5MB or so.

Should clear somethings up.

Thanks for the replies!
  • Reply 5 of 5
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Ouch! Sounds like someone working for Fido Canada screwed up royally. If it affects all of their new iPhone customers, that's going to be a fairly costly error. It'll occupy a lot of phone support time for sure.