What are the odds Apple will have an iPod Touch with GPS now?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
I don't want to pay $70.00.....more like $100.00 per month so I can get real gps on an Apple device. In the WWDC keynote it was nice to see TomTom debut an application for the iphone that would work with it's gps.

Wouldn't it be nice though if the same thing were to happen with the iPod Touch in the coming months when it is refreshed again? Perhaps it will be at the fall event where Steve Jobs might headline.

Anyways, do you think Apple will add gps this time to latest iPod Touch when it comes out or will they keep gps on the iPhone alone?

If you all think there will be no gps on the iPod Touch then I'm going to go shopping for a garmin device. It would have been nice to have all my applications and such on my iPod Touch along with gps. But if its not to be then I've got things to do which require gps and no monthly fees.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    futurepastnowfuturepastnow Posts: 1,772member
    I think there's a good chance... with turn-by-turn allowed in the 3.0 software, the more devices it can run on, the more money Apple makes.

And if it isn't built in, someone will make an external GPS, now that they can use the dock connector as an accessory interface.
  • Reply 2 of 15
    olternautolternaut Posts: 1,376member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FuturePastNow View Post

I think there's a good chance... with turn-by-turn allowed in the 3.0 software, the more devices it can run on, the more money Apple makes.

And if it isn't built in, someone will make an external GPS, now that they can use the dock connector as an accessory interface.

I did not think of that. Thats a good idea! Although, I would hope that that the connecting device keeps the profile altogether slim.

Hey TomTom! Your reading this or what? I should email this thread to their CEO.
  • Reply 3 of 15
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Olternaut View Post

I don't want to pay $70.00.....more like $100.00 per month so I can get real gps on an Apple device. In the WWDC keynote it was nice to see TomTom debut an application for the iphone that would work with it's gps.

Yeah I liked that too. More so I'm hoping other GPS companies catch on to this to keep things competitive.

Quote:

Wouldn't it be nice though if the same thing were to happen with the iPod Touch in the coming months when it is refreshed again. Perhaps it will be at the fall event where Steve Jobs might headline.

Touch, at least the current variant is more price sensitive than the iPhone, thus I don't expect every new model of Touch iPod to have GPS. It just adds an expense to a device that needs a low cost option. So what I'm saying is that one or more new Touches may have GPS, but not all of them. Expect to pay extra for that feature.

Quote:

Anyways, do you think Apple will add gps this time to latest iPod Touch when it comes out or will they keep gps on the iPhone alone?

I doubt highly that GPS will forever remain iPhone only, there is huge untapped demand for that capability in handheld devices. Further it enables whole classes of apps that rely on good location data.

Quote:

If you all think there will be no gps on the iPod Touch then I'm going to go shopping for a garmin device.

Well what I think means nothing. It is what Apple thinks and plans for that will make or break GPS on a Touch based device. Like I said I believe there is a strong possibility here, but who am I. The other thing is that if you look at what happened at WWDC this year you will notice that the company seems to be more responsive to consumer demands than ever before, this will impact any GPS decision.

Quote:

It would have been nice to have all my applications and such on my iPod Touch along with gps. But if its not to be then I've got things to do which require gps and no monthly fees.

Unfortunately like the rest of us you will have to wait until September, the likely release month of new IPods, to really know where Apple is going. I'm actually expecting a massive update to the iPod line up. I wouldn't be surprised to find Touch based devices leaving iPhone GS in the dust with respect to performance and configuration. Frankly I'm expecting more environmental I/O in the way of the compass, and maybe temp and pressure sensors. There is much potential for these to enhance apps for the Touch. I'm still holding out for more Radio support too, by that I mean AM/FM and even short wave.

With respect to GPS though the key here is that the support is already there for a number of apps. So adding GPS seems to be a no brainer.

Dave
  • Reply 4 of 15
    krispiekrispie Posts: 260member
    One of the things that makes iPhone a better GPS locator than my Sat Nav is that it uses /assisted/ GPS.

That wouldn't work as well in an iPod touch though, of course.
  • Reply 5 of 15
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Yeah I liked that too. More so I'm hoping other GPS companies catch on to this to keep things competitive.

Touch, at least the current variant is more price sensitive than the iPhone, thus I don't expect every new model of Touch iPod to have GPS. It just adds an expense to a device that needs a low cost option. So what I'm saying is that one or more new Touches may have GPS, but not all of them. Expect to pay extra for that feature.

I doubt highly that GPS will forever remain iPhone only, there is huge untapped demand for that capability in handheld devices. Further it enables whole classes of apps that rely on good location data.

Well what I think means nothing. It is what Apple thinks and plans for that will make or break GPS on a Touch based device. Like I said I believe there is a strong possibility here, but who am I. The other thing is that if you look at what happened at WWDC this year you will notice that the company seems to be more responsive to consumer demands than ever before, this will impact any GPS decision.

Unfortunately like the rest of us you will have to wait until September, the likely release month of new IPods, to really know where Apple is going. I'm actually expecting a massive update to the iPod line up. I wouldn't be surprised to find Touch based devices leaving iPhone GS in the dust with respect to performance and configuration. Frankly I'm expecting more environmental I/O in the way of the compass, and maybe temp and pressure sensors. There is much potential for these to enhance apps for the Touch. I'm still holding out for more Radio support too, by that I mean AM/FM and even short wave.

With respect to GPS though the key here is that the support is already there for a number of apps. So adding GPS seems to be a no brainer.

Dave

Quote:
    Originally Posted by krispie View Post

One of the things that makes iPhone a better GPS locator than my Sat Nav is that it uses /assisted/ GPS.

See, I dunno.

I'm planning on doing a solo century ride (100 miles) on the upcoming 4th of July weekend and I'm going to need a decent gps device. I'm seriously leaning toward the garmin edge 705 gps cycling computer with turn by turn voice direction of pre-planned routes. Waiting until September to see what Apple has would mean missing out on the century ride with no gps device.

I'm not sure if I can wait. If I knew about a leak saying that the new ipod touches will have gps then I would force myself to wait.
  • Reply 6 of 15
    whoamiwhoami Posts: 301member
    i think we'll see a GPS for geotagging in the iPod when they add the camera...
  • Reply 7 of 15
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by whoami View Post

It most likely a sure thing that they are going to add a camera you think? If so then the GPS for geotagging would make sense.

If this is all true then even with GPS the iPod Touch would still be different enough than the iPhone that Apple wouldn't mind it having gps?

I guess that is the real question. And its sad that I'm asking it.
  • Reply 8 of 15
    Quote:

Obviously it wouldn't be as fast as a locator that gets assistance over the network. The potential though is that it will be as good as your SaT/NaV system. It should be possible to get the same accuracy, it will just take longer.

Dave
  • Reply 9 of 15
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by whoami View Post

I won't dismiss that that would be nice but I think it is a minor draw. GPS on a Touch based device would lead all sorts of usages just like on the iPhone. One big draw though would be mapping which could quickly wipe out the dedicated GPS market. That would be the market for handhelds. I know if I had a choice I'd want a multi function device, especially for serious hiking.

That is just one use, there are many more to justify GPS. Right now GPS is a no brainer for at least some Touch models. I don't see it in the low end Touch iPods but certainly in some models.

As to cameras I'd like to see Apple surprise use with a quality Touch based camera that would effectively compete with point and shoots. Yeah that is a bigger sensor and corresponding optical path but could lead to a very interesting device. Here I'm more concerned about a quality sensor rather than pixel count.

Dave
  • Reply 10 of 15
    Sorry y'all. I just could not wait till September for an Apple fall ipod event to find out if the new touch will have gps.

I went out today and bought myself the garmin edge 705 gps device for cycling. I'm planning on testing it out on the weekend. Its supposed to have a 15 hour battery life which should serve me when I'm riding that 100 mile century.

Come to think of it.....the ipod touch certainly doesn't have a 15 hour battery life when the screen is on and active. This doesn't mean I'll give up on gps for the ipod touch. But I need to do the century riding in June, July and August and not have to wait till September.

Oh, and what was the argument about assisted gps being better than dedicated gps? I would think dedicated gps would be more sensitive.....no?
  • Reply 11 of 15
    Quote:

Oh, and what was the argument about assisted gps being better than dedicated gps? I would think dedicated gps would be more sensitive.....no?

The way I understand assisted GPS is at odds with what many people in this forum seem to understand. Assisted GPS is just GPS that picks up data over a local network or the cell network that helps in resolving the position of a device. A GPS device can also pick up this data from the satelites, but it is a very slow data transfer rate. In a nut shell Assisted GPS gives you a position lock faster.

This doesn't imply that ultimate accuracy is better. That would have a lot to do with the antenna and the GPS processor. So is a dedicated GPS more sensitive?

Well that depends on what you mean by sensitive. Usually in RF equipment that is a measure of the devices ability to pick up a signal. If that is the measure you are concerned with there is a very good chance that a dedicated unit will have a better antenna and GPS processor. That from the standpoint of RF sensitivity.

However that has only a little bit to do with accuracy. Accuracy with respect to GPS can result in long conversations.

Dave.
  • Reply 12 of 15
    Quote:

It's usually quicker - my iPhone gets its location way quicker than my Garmin in-car SatNav.

Admittedly, that's in part due to my SatNav being off when I get in the car, but the phone will have already been on for a while!
  • Reply 13 of 15
    amoryaamorya Posts: 1,103member
    Quote:

It's usually quicker - my iPhone gets its location way quicker than my Garmin in-car SatNav.

Admittedly, that's in part due to my SatNav being off when I get in the car, but the phone will have already been on for a while!

It's due to your phone having a net connection. It uses that to find rough locations of the satellites, which means it can pick them up faster.
  • Reply 14 of 15
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Amorya View Post

It's due to your phone having a net connection. It uses that to find rough locations of the satellites, which means it can pick them up faster.

I know. Hence the reference to 'Assisted GPS'.
  • Reply 15 of 15
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Amorya View Post

It's a fine point i know but assisted GPS does recieve the GPS signal any faster. What it does do is recieve satilite info over the network that allows resolving the recievers position on earth easier. This data can come from the GPS satilites but it is an extremely slow transfer.

You would often see this on old GPS handhelds where the unit would slowly zero in on your position when standing still. With assisted GPS the positions of the satilites is updated from other sources and thus the unit can resolve positions almost instantly.

It a fine point I know but it might explain why an iPhone GPS is slow when outside of anysort of network connection.

Dave