Apple sells over 1 million iPhone 3G Ss in first three days

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Apple said Monday that it sold over one million iPhone 3GS models during the first three days the handset was on the market, while its new iPhone 3.0 software was downloaded by six million customers in the first five days since its release.

The sales tally is inline with a prediction made by AppleInsider on Friday, shortly after the the iPhone 3G S hit retail stores and AT&T announce that it sold "hundreds of thousands" of the devices during its pre-order process.

"Customers are voting and the iPhone is winning," said Apple chief executive Steve Jobs. "With over 50,000 applications available from Apple's revolutionary App Store, iPhone momentum is stronger than ever."

For their part, Wall Street analysts like Piper Jaffray's Gene Munster, had initially forecasted the Cupertino-based company to accumulate first-weekend sales of roughly 500,000 iPhone 3G Ss. Prior to Apple's announcement Monday morning, the analyst edged up his estimate to 750,000 units, saying early sales indications, comments from carriers, and lines at retail stores "were more positive" than he had anticipated.

It took Apple 74 days, or approximately two and a half months, to sell its first million iPhones back in 2007, while last year's iPhone 3G launch saw a million devices sold in just the first three days, setting a benchmark for future iPhone releases. Given that sales figures reported Monday by Apple don't include sales of the newly-priced $99 8GB iPhone 3G, it's more than likely this past weekend represented the company's most successful product launch to date.

For those interested, AppleInsider published a 4-page, in-depth review of the iPhone 3G S and the new iPhone 3.0 software update earlier this morning.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 138
    bluenixbluenix Posts: 42member
    says Steve Jobs? Or his PR Lady? Or his doctor?

apart from that: great news! I'm gonna add one as soon as the 32gb model is available again in Germany. So far the "big" one is sold out here (18k on friday in total, so the press tells us).

I want one
  • Reply 2 of 138
    Never expected such huge sales for iPhone 3GS after reading the initial reports. Anyways its great to see iPhone still commanding the smartphone sales.
  • Reply 3 of 138
    So who are the other 999,999?
  • Reply 4 of 138
    striker_kkstriker_kk Posts: 246member
    Steve says??

If steve really did say that, I think that would be the REAL NEWS..
  • Reply 5 of 138
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by striker_kk View Post

Steve says??

If steve really did say that, I think that would be the REAL NEWS..

That's what I was thinking....
  • Reply 6 of 138
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,520member
    Well if it hadn't been for the great O2 rip off here in the UK myself and 5 family members would have upgraded on Friday, many of my friends would have done the same, not too usre how it pans out over the other 8 countries but if they are like O2 they could have had so many more sales!
  • Reply 7 of 138
    ivan.rnn01ivan.rnn01 Posts: 1,822member
    Congrats! Apple's marketing team is indeed strongest ever.
  • Reply 8 of 138
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ivan.rnn01 View Post

Congrats! Apple's marketing team is indeed strongest ever.

I find it so funny people think Apple reads their comments.
  • Reply 9 of 138
    mactrippermactripper Posts: 1,328member
    Steve said?

He must be feeling better after the get well flowers and chocolate I sent him this morning.

Maybe he thought the world thought he was dying...

No sh*t, I really did it!
  • Reply 10 of 138
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chronster View Post

I find it so funny people think Apple reads their comments.

I think you got it wrong somewhere. Some people just need to post.
  • Reply 11 of 138
    sipadansipadan Posts: 107member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

For their part, Wall Street analysts like Piper Jaffray's Gene Munster, had initially forecasted the Cupertino-based company to accumulate first-weekend sales of roughly 500,000 iPhone 3G Ss. Prior to Apple's announcement Monday morning, the analyst edged up his estimate to 750,000 units, saying early sales indications, comments from carriers, and lines at retail stores "were more positive" than he had anticipated.

Analysts underestimating Apple's products appeal... what else is new
  • Reply 12 of 138
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    How does this compare to the other two iPhone releases?
  • Reply 13 of 138
    ajitmdajitmd Posts: 365member
    Quote:

This is a very popular site... I suspect there must be people within Apple that read this site and may be comments. The competition more than likely, does too.
  • Reply 14 of 138
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member
    Quote:

Right on. To each his own
  • Reply 15 of 138
    abster2coreabster2core Posts: 2,501member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bluenix View Post

says Steve Jobs? Or his PR Lady? Or his doctor?

apart from that: great news! I'm gonna add one as soon as the 32gb model is available again in Germany. So far the "big" one is sold out here (18k on friday in total, so the press tells us).

I want one

As a public trading company, the fact that the statement in the corporate news release was a quote by Steve Jobs, it has to be, by law, true.
  • Reply 16 of 138
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AjitMD View Post

This is a very popular site... I suspect there must be people within Apple that read this site and may be comments. The competition more than likely, does too.

True. We do have proofs (Apple's moves in corporate business, touch screens as trackpads, solar-charged phones, etc.) But I also wrote the truth, having been meaning myself, sure. It's much more important to me to have the ability to write several posts, than to know whether those posts are read.

Look, that guy, chronster, is happy, as well.
  • Reply 17 of 138
    adamwadamw Posts: 114guest
    Welcome back Steve! Great news on sales.
  • Reply 18 of 138
    bigmc6000bigmc6000 Posts: 767member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

As a public trading company, the fact that the statement in the corporate news release was a quote by Steve Jobs, it has to be, by law, true.

It could also be a quote from an e-mail from Steve - I think he's in good enough shape to sit in a chair and type on his tablet he's still deciding if he wants to sell to us peons
  • Reply 19 of 138
    davidtdavidt Posts: 112member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AjitMD View Post

I suspect there must be people within Apple that read this site and may be comments. The competition more than likely, does too.

in which case: why not post useful stuff? rather than "congrats" & "unbelievable"?

eg: when will apple reply to demands to deal with the MacBookPro's sata interface downgrade?

http://www.macrumors.com/2009/06/14/...ata-interface/

selling record numbers is all very well, but many people are pretty angry about the sata downgrade, and others aren't buying a MBP till this gets addressed / solved.

why doesn't Jobs address this from his hospital bed?

seems he's well enough to celebrate the iphone.

-D
  • Reply 20 of 138
    lilgto64lilgto64 Posts: 1,147member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bigmc6000 View Post

It could also be a quote from an e-mail from Steve - I think he's in good enough shape to sit in a chair and type on his tablet he's still deciding if he wants to sell to us peons

Could very well be - I know someone who was sending emails and IMs in between chemo-therapy sessions not long after surgery for brain cancer. He was still in the hospital at the time and likely could not have walked form the bed to the door unassisted - but was able to use a computer for simple tasks in part just to have an alternative to doing nothing but lying there.

Would have been a million and one if I was a bit closer to the end of my contract on my 3G notebook card - and came very close to a million two as my wife has expressed an interest but still trying to work out if it would be better to give her my 2G iPhone - or get her the $99 3G - or just go all out and get here the 3G S - of course her current phone is not an iPhone and is not eligible for full discount until around May of 2010.