Originally Posted by johnmcboston View Post

So who are the other 999,999?

I bought 2 last Friday.

That's 999,997 left to go.
  • Reply 22 of 138
    gtl215gtl215 Posts: 242member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

As a public trading company, the fact that the statement in the corporate news release was a quote by Steve Jobs, it has to be, by law, true.

since when?

PS - publicly traded - not public trading
  • Reply 23 of 138
    Welcome back Steve Jobs! This past Saturday I could no longer resist the new iPhone, which finally has the specs I've deemed necessary to shell out a substantial amount of money for the amazing little computer and the bank-account-reducing monthly service fees to AT&T.

Learning how to use the iPhone 3GS is sheer joy. This marvel imparts total satisfaction. The how-tos on Apple's web site are excellent. There is an extensive support infrastructure to help any beginner quickly get up to speed. The tactile pleasure of controlling everything via intuitive fingertip is natural and engaging.

This pocket computer is fast, responsive, works very well. Quick download and thorough sync from my computer, all bookmarks, contacts, calendar, all data, all organization, everything perfectly in place and ready to operate seamlessly.

This household bought 2 iPhone 3GS 32G Black plus accessories, AppleCare for 2 years, MobileMe for 2 years, an awesome Bose Sounddock for playing a large music collection to reverberate through the walls and rafters, plus a MacBoxSet to upgrade our iBook to the latest greatest OS Leopard, iWorks09 iLife09 (lots of great $$$ savings when buying all at same time).

Now enjoying the blissful marriage of state-of-the-art unparalleled software paired with sleek elegant fast hardware to give the ultimate useful geek pleasure productivity experience. Nirvana!

And my partner's iPhone synced perfectly with her PC and all MS Exchange business data, replacing 2 phones, iPod, Palm PDA, laptop, and TomTom. Her new iPhone does it all, and way better.
  • Reply 24 of 138
    physguyphysguy Posts: 920member
    Quote:

As a public trading company, the fact that the statement in the corporate news release was a quote by Steve Jobs, it has to be, by law, true.

As one who has been quoted as an officer of a public company and has also written these releases for public companies these quotes are usually crafted by PR or marketing or some committee (sometimes the person quoted). Then the person to whom the quote is attributed approves it for release. These are almost never an actual spontaneous quote.
  • Reply 25 of 138
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,857member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by physguy View Post

As one who has been quoted as an officer of a public company and has also written these releases for public companies these quotes are usually crafted by PR or marketing or some committee (sometimes the person quoted). Then the person to whom the quote is attributed approves it for release. These are almost never an actual spontaneous quote.

Shocking!

Next you will tell us that POTUS doesn't write his own speeches.
  • Reply 26 of 138
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by davidT View Post

in which case: why not post useful stuff? rather than "congrats" & "unbelievable"?

eg: when will apple reply to demands to deal with the MacBookPro's sata interface downgrade?

http://www.macrumors.com/2009/06/14/...ata-interface/

selling record numbers is all very well, but many people are pretty angry about the sata downgrade, and others aren't buying a MBP till this gets addressed / solved.

why doesn't Jobs address this from his hospital bed?

seems he's well enough to celebrate the iphone.

-D

What you're posting has nothing to do with the article at all.

And, by the way, it's been shown that the SATA slowdown only takes place with certain SSD drives, possibly because those drives themselves are SATA 1.5 Gbs.
  • Reply 27 of 138
    oneaburnsoneaburns Posts: 354member
    As a 1st gen iPhone owner that skipped the 3G, I decided to upgrade to the 3GS. I wasn't expecting the type of demand for this as there was for the first iPhone so I went to my local Apple store Saturday afternoon to pick one up. Unfortunately, all they had left were white ones and there was still a line outside the door of people wanting to buy that. I had to wonder whether that many people really wanted white or if they were just going to settle for it since black was sold out. Myself, I just went home and ordered online. I can wait a week.
  • Reply 28 of 138
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

Jobs is known to shoot off his own responses.
  • Reply 29 of 138
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Just called local AT&T and they are sold out but are (possibly) expecting more today.

Hesitant to call Apple Freehold as I'm sure I'll probably get the same canned response regardless of inventory.

I'd be nice if I could walk in and pick one up today.
  • Reply 30 of 138
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by saarek View Post

Well if it hadn't been for the great O2 rip off here in the UK myself and 5 family members would have upgraded on Friday, many of my friends would have done the same, not too usre how it pans out over the other 8 countries but if they are like O2 they could have had so many more sales!

That's OK - it leaves more for the rest of us.
  • Reply 31 of 138
    boogabooga Posts: 1,082member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmz View Post

Just called local AT&T and they are sold out but are (possibly) expecting more today.

Hesitant to call Apple Freehold as I'm sure I'll probably get the same canned response regardless of inventory.

I'd be nice if I could walk in and pick one up today.

A relative of mine was there this past weekend and said there were huge lines. My guess is the surest bet for getting one this week is ordering online.
  • Reply 32 of 138
    davidtdavidt Posts: 112member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

What you're posting has nothing to do with the article at all.

I was commenting on a post which claims that apple does read these forums. Since many posts today are concerned more with Jobs' health and statement than iphone sales, I don't find it particularly offensive or wrong to post something slightly off the article's main theme...

Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

(...) it's been shown that the SATA slowdown only takes place with certain SSD drives, possibly because those drives themselves are SATA 1.5 Gbs.

can you supply a link for this? or anybody else? I would be grateful, all info I have been able to find states that the slowdown doesn't have impact on HD's, but does have impact on SSDs, and will thus be grave for those of us wishing to buy a MBP now and a fast SSD in 12 months. thanks in advance, sorry for off-topicness of my original message.

-D
  • Reply 33 of 138
    c4rlobc4rlob Posts: 277member
    We knew this was going to happen - just like I said before, I'm sure that Apple hit the 500K mark on Friday alone

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showp...89&postcount=7

Even the Piper analysts knew this was going to happen - I think they deliberately played down expectations - hmmm, I wonder why they would do such a thing???
  • Reply 34 of 138
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dfiler View Post

How does this compare to the other two iPhone releases?

Did you read the whole story? Let me cut and paste the relevant section for you:

"It took Apple 74 days, or approximately two and a half months, to sell its first million iPhones back in 2007, while last year's iPhone 3G launch saw a million devices sold in just the first three days, setting a benchmark for future iPhone releases. Given that sales figures reported Monday by Apple don't include sales of the newly-priced $99 8GB iPhone 3G, it's more than likely this past weekend represented the company's most successful product launch to date."

• Reply 35 of 138
    abster2coreabster2core Posts: 2,501member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GTL215 View Post

since when?

PS - publicly traded - not public trading

A board member or a member of the executive has a fiduciary responsibility to their publicly trading share holders. As such, any communication that could potentially affect the stock and would thus come under the scrutiny of the SEC.

If, as in the stated company press release, sales were exaggerated and caused a rise in stock prices, only to discover that the numbers were false and thus created a subsequent drop in value, the company can be charged with fraud.

It should be noted, that bloggers as well, may soon come under the gun. http://www.ftc.gov/os/2008/11/P03452...mentguides.pdf

http://legal.practitioner.com/regula...ards_9_3_6.htm
  • Reply 36 of 138
    Quote:

A board member or a member of the executive has a fiduciary responsibility to their publicly trading share holders. As such, any communication that could potentially affect the stock and would thus come under the scrutiny of the SEC.

That is correct.

(PS: It's "public shareholders"; a company could have private -- i.e., non-traded -- shares).

Quote:

It should be noted, that bloggers as well, may soon come under the gun. http://www.ftc.gov/os/2008/11/P03452...mentguides.pdf

http://legal.practitioner.com/regula...ards_9_3_6.htm

Interesting, and about time. I truly hope that this happens. There has been way too much blogger nonsense related to AAPL and SJ (e.g., remember SJ's reported death?).
  • Reply 37 of 138
    abster2coreabster2core Posts: 2,501member
    Quote:

You are absolutely correct. However, in the official press release they quoted Steve Jobs.It was not a passing comment. It was in quotation marks, published and thus available for referencing and all its scrutiny.

I would suggest that Steve or any member of the board realizes the impact that the context of the statement could have on their share prices.

More importantly, the fact that Jobs made the claim would indicate that he is now more actively involved. Such a understanding could have an even more important impact on the stock market.

With all the law suits facing Apple today, they don't need another.
  • Reply 38 of 138
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by saarek View Post

Well if it hadn't been for the great O2 rip off here in the UK myself and 5 family members would have upgraded on Friday, many of my friends would have done the same, not too usre how it pans out over the other 8 countries but if they are like O2 they could have had so many more sales!

Ripped off?? how so ?
  • Reply 39 of 138
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chronster View Post

i find it so funny people think apple reads their comments.

you can find the anwser posted above or below .
  • Reply 40 of 138
    bigmc6000bigmc6000 Posts: 767member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brucep View Post

Ripped off?? how so ?

Well, ya know, he wants his money for nothing and the chicks for free - anything less is a rip off!