University claims Apple's glossy screens may cause injury

1111213141517»

Comments

• Reply 321 of 335
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Go to any MacWorld or Consumer Reports review of Apple products and what do you see in the Con column? "GLOSSY SCREENS."

I Can't help it if you don't know how to read. End of story.

Solipsism said (and you truncated the context of his quote)

Quote:

FW400 was removed from a MB. FW has never left the MBP line. As stated in the posts you continually fail to read, I predicted this move many times over.

How in the world does a comment about FW somehow morph into a response about glossy screens? You've done this several times in the thread: quoted a comment about one issue, and then made a statement about an altogether different issue.

It makes it nigh impossible to determine what the hell your point is.
  • Reply 322 of 335
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Flounder View Post

Solipsism said (and you truncated the context of his quote)

How in the world does a comment about FW somehow morph into a response about glossy screens? You've done this several times in the thread: quoted a comment about one issue, and then made a statement about an altogether different issue.

It makes it nigh impossible to determine what the hell your point is.

This thread is about glossy screens not firewire 400! What the hell are you talking about? He's failed over and over to note that he's wrong on this issue of glossy screens. He keeps bringing up other issues. And now one of his drones, you, come to protect him? You're all so ridiculous.
  • Reply 323 of 335
    Quote:

This thread is about glossy screens not firewire 400! What the hell are you talking about? He's failed over and over to note that he's wrong on this issue of glossy screens. He keeps bringing up other issues. And now one of his drones, you, come to protect him? You're all so ridiculous.

Then if you want to make a point about glossy screens, why are you truncating a quote about FW to make a reply about glossy screen? Why address it? Surely you can see how this makes no sense at all. It makes it look like you, not him, are doing the obscuring.

In fact earlier in the thread..........

Quote:

Originally Posted by solipsism

If it’s a fact, produce a single post where i said Apple will produce no more matte displays. Note, finding a post that states my preference for glossy is not a Teckstudian disdain for matte, nor is concrete statement that matte is going away forever. One day, you’ll realize that Apple is not your company and that your wishes do not always reflect their wishes. Matte will come if there is a substantial enough market for for them to justify it. That is how business works.

This directly addresses the issue you are claiming you so wish to address. Instead of addressing the comment, however, it leads to the following reply by you...

Quote:

Wrong. Where is the market for the failing shuffle? Where is the market for the AppleTV?

Which of course has nothing to do with displays, or responds to the text you quoted in any fashion.

So, who is obscuring?

I'd still like to see you reply to:

Quote:

Originally Posted by solipsism

If it’s a fact, produce a single post where i said Apple will produce no more matte displays.

• Reply 324 of 335
    [QUOTE=Flounder;1434132]
    Quote:

Then if you want to make a point about glossy screens, why are you truncating a quote about FW to make a reply about glossy screen? Why address it? Surely you can see how this makes no sense at all. It makes it look like you, not him, are the obscurer.

No it doesn't - only to you.

Quote:

In fact earlier in the thread..........

Dude- you're boring me.

Quote:

This directly addresses the issue you are claiming you so wish to address. Instead of addressing the comment, however, it leads to the following reply by you...

You only quote what you and he want. So what's your point?

Quote:

Which of course has nothing to do with displays, or responds to the text you quoted in any fashion.

So, who is obscuring?

I'd still like to see you reply to:

Why- are you his lawyer? Show me, either you or solipism, where Apple gave us glossy because the public demanded it. SHOW ME. You can't.

Why don't you express an idea of your own regarding glossy/matte rather than defend a losing argumment? Because you can't.
  • Reply 325 of 335
    Quote:

You only quote what you and he want. So what's your point?

I quoted EXACTLY what you replied to.

Quote:

Why- are you his lawyer? Show me, either you or solipism, where Apple gave us glossy because the public demanded it. SHOW ME. You can't.

I don't have an opinion on the subject. As someone who's been reading this back and forth, I simply find your protestations that solip is obfuscating a rather amusing observation of projection in action, as that is what you've done literally this entire thread.
  • Reply 326 of 335
    tt92618tt92618 Posts: 444member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Flounder View Post

I quoted EXACTLY what you replied to.

I don't have an opinion on the subject. As someone who's been reading this back and forth, I simply find your protestations that solip is obfuscating a rather amusing observation of projection in action, as that is what you've done literally this entire thread.

The thing you, Patroll, Solipsism, myself, and many others have been trying to do is to get tech "stud" and mechengit to acknowledge that their views on glossy screens are simply opinions, not facts. Some people are just not capable of recognizing this. Tech "stud" (and perhaps various other personas of his) and mechengit have stated over and over again (ad nauseum!) that they do not like glossy displays. For tech "stud" in particular, this is some sort of a personal crusade for him / her / it. There is no amount of logic, or persuasion, that will ever get them to admit that Apple has glossy screens for any legitimate reason (like: people like them). Nor will you get them to admit that the very fact that many people like these displays is itself legitimate; doing so would invalidate their own sense of self-superiority and that is certainly not something that will ever occur here.
  • Reply 327 of 335
    blah64blah64 Posts: 993member
    Quote:

Perhaps you missed this from Blah64:

Quote:

I think teckstud has a good point (OMG!). If you have a bunch of people sitting in fixed positions, then at least one set of people (if not more) are not going to be able to see parts of the screen. That would suck if you were in a class and couldn't see the screen due to the store light reflections.

Quote:

I suggest you read it then comprehend it. End of story.

Common sense, my friend, common sense. No "thesis" required.

Hey, easy does it. I did say it was a good point, and I find good logic there. It doesn't mean "end of story". I think this is why so many people find your posts bothersome - jumping to unwarranted absolute conclusions.

Short of asking the manager at the store why they're using those displays, we are all just speculating. You live close enough to visit that store, right? Just go ask. I'd love to hear the response.
  • Reply 328 of 335
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Blah64 View Post

Hey, easy does it. I did say it was a good point, and I find good logic there. It doesn't mean "end of story". I think this is why so many people find your posts bothersome - jumping to unwarranted absolute conclusions.

Short of asking the manager at the store why they're using those displays, we are all just speculating. You live close enough to visit that store, right? Just go ask. I'd love to hear the response.

I will go ask today at lunch. We shall see.
  • Reply 329 of 335
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tt92618 View Post

The thing you, Patroll, Solipsism, myself, and many others have been trying to do is to get tech "stud" and mechengit to acknowledge that their views on glossy screens are simply opinions, not facts. Some people are just not capable of recognizing this. Tech "stud" (and perhaps various other personas of his) and mechengit have stated over and over again (ad nauseum!) that they do not like glossy displays. For tech "stud" in particular, this is some sort of a personal crusade for him / her / it. There is no amount of logic, or persuasion, that will ever get them to admit that Apple has glossy screens for any legitimate reason (like: people like them). Nor will you get them to admit that the very fact that many people like these displays is itself legitimate; doing so would invalidate their own sense of self-superiority and that is certainly not something that will ever occur here.

What is your problem? Apple discontinued (it was reported here and backed up by you and the other fanboys you mention) matte screens and then brought them back with the 17". Is that fact that difficult to comprehend? Why do you think it was brought back? ( Answer- people WANT Matte). Repeat the last sentence.

Geeesh!
  • Reply 330 of 335
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Blah64 View Post

Quote:

If you haven't done so already, be mindful that the way you ask your question could easily dictate the answer you receive. There's little benefit to a store manager to put their product in a bad light, so to speak. (pun intended )

Personally, I can't imagine a glossy screen being suitable for that purpose, but it doesn't mean the management would admit such. On the other hand, if they *did* admit it, well, there ya go!
  • Reply 331 of 335
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    This report is laughable.

If they're going to harp on ergonomics causing injury, the place to start would be laptops. The relatively nonadjustable screen and keyboard positions are real problems to people with repetitive strain injuries.

But they're concerned about the glossy screen?
  • Reply 332 of 335
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by physguy View Post

The only question is why focus on Apple. These screens have been around for quite some time, as has the problems identified. It makes no sense not to issue a general comment. Why focus on any particular manufacturer?

Because, like always, small people with no name have to grab all the attention possible. It just wouldn't do for this U to say "glossy, device screens"..no no, Apple must be specfically targeted so that we can freely publicize our work. No one would bother readind otherwise, especially once you see where they are going with it.

"Ok, its not the screens themselves, but the position you might sit in while using one."

LMFAO
  • Reply 333 of 335
    Quote:

So did you give up on this?
  • Reply 334 of 335
    I guess I'm a "design pro" because I'm a professional music photographer and my company does a fair amount of graphic design work for record labels etc... and I prefer the glossy screen. Many who have dealt with providing design work or photography to publications or printers might prefer the glossy because, as has been stated before, it is actually more color accurate than a flat matte screen, which diffuses light and provides a softer image... On my 30" Cinema Display I found myself having to over-saturate a bit before I sent anything to print, and glossy for me has provided a more accurate representation of the final color output. I really don't want to argue about any of this... this is just my opinion and experience.
  • Reply 335 of 335
    I feel like I'm the only one that enjoys my imac glossy screen.

The only thing I don't like is that a single speck of anything on it shows super well, so I'm constantly cleaning it, but I've never had any problem with reflections. Not a single one!