12% of early iPhone 3G buyers report ditching their BlackBerry

12346

Comments

  • Reply 101 of 137
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,327member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by davidT View Post


    i have seen a few transfers from BB to iphone, but interestingly a few friends -early adopters all of them - have gone back to BB. one main reason cited is the lack of display of remaining characters when typing text message. this may seem surreal to some of you, it did when i heard it first, but for many people here in europe business is done by text message, this is not cheap over european borders, and when your message is just 1 character over limit, you pay a full extra message. not a deal breaker for me, i usually send 1 message per trip to my wife, but one friend - music industry person - sends over 3000 texts a month, he says he was paying an extra 500? a month on the iphone because of slightly-too-long-text messages. there were a few other similar reasons, but all say they'd go back to iphones if and when these seemingly minor issues are fixed.



    What do you mean when you say "lack of display of remaining characters"? Do you mean that there would be a fixed number displayed, and every character typed counts down by one? Some web sites do that for replies, as does eBay.
  • Reply 102 of 137
    mac31mac31 Posts: 44member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by davidT View Post


    well, not always, lots of physical keyboards are very silent, my last sony was totally silent, no type tone but also no sound from the actual key being pressed.



    on a similar note, i do find it a little annoying when iphone users have the 'keyboard clicks' activated and volume up... sitting in a cafe reading the paper and hearing this morse-code like clicking is pretty irritating.

    do any of you actually find the 'keyboard clicks' option useful while typing a message?



    When I wrote this out, I was thinking along the lines of BlackBerries. Particularly the Bold. They are very loud.



    I love the keyboard clicks. It sounds cool especially when I type fast. It also tells me when I've actually made contact, since I obviously can't "feel" the keys, but if I mistype and try to click a section of the screen that has no key, I know I didn't get the letter without having to reread what I just wrote.
  • Reply 103 of 137
    macnycmacnyc Posts: 342member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post


    Not at all, I never lost a thumb wrestling match if that tells you anything.



    I find landscape best for physical keyboards, which is why I find Palms portrait mode keyboard a bad move. Perhaps I?m just used to it after nearly 2 years but I find the shorter range of movement and the ability to keep the thumbs pointed directly down at the keys much easier than with landscape.



    I do quite a bit of postings here from my iPhone. You can usually tell because I?ll have an unusual number of words that are similar but wrong for the sentence.



    I agree, I like the shorter travel distance.
  • Reply 104 of 137
    davidtdavidt Posts: 112member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post


    What do you mean when you say "lack of display of remaining characters"? Do you mean that there would be a fixed number displayed, and every character typed counts down by one?



    Yes exactly. countdown from 140 -> 0.



    all phones here (europe) used to have that, iphone is the first i've seen which does not.



    when you've typed your message, if you see you're over the limit by eg. 2 characters, you go back, delete an unnecessary comma or hyphen, and you've saved 50 cents.



    if you're sending 100 texts a day, you wont have time or patience to count the letters.

    for a traveling salesman or entertainment industry person 100 texts/day is quite normal.



    BB software here does have this feature.
  • Reply 105 of 137
    davidtdavidt Posts: 112member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mac31 View Post


    I love the keyboard clicks. It sounds cool especially when I type fast. It also tells me when I've actually made contact, since I obviously can't "feel" the keys, but if I mistype and try to click a section of the screen that has no key, I know I didn't get the letter without having to reread what I just wrote.



    well, again, I guess there is no right or wrong about it, but how does a click tell you you got the right letter? surely the pop-up letter is a better indicator that you did not mistype than a click that sounds the same for all letters?



    and - obviously I do not know how loud you have the volume set - do you not find it a little much for people around you to have to listen to your clicking as you type? Guess it depends on the surrounding noise level, I like quiet cafés for reading and conversation. not a personal attack on you, it's unlikely I'll ever hear your particular clicking session :-)



    -D
  • Reply 106 of 137
    johnqhjohnqh Posts: 242member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post


    No. You're misunderstanding the numbers.



    The 6% is 6% of whatever number they end up with as a percentage.



    So it would be 12% +-6%, or 11.28% to 12.72%.



    In other words, a +-6% accuracy of the result.



    Correction. You are the one who misunderstood. In statistics, the margin of error is indeed the % for the overall, so 6% to 18% is correct.



    And anyone who took Statistics 101 can calculate the margin of error for you and get the same 6%. For elections, usually they take a sample of 800, for margin of error of 3%.
  • Reply 107 of 137
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dualie View Post


    I wonder how many Blackberry users used to be iPhone users. It might be helpful to know this before saying that the Apple is making headway vs. RIM.



    Good question. Also, how many Nokia users are becoming BB and iPhone users..?
  • Reply 108 of 137
    12% of iPhone 3GS users disappointed by lack of unified inbox, push email, hardware keyboard, auto-text, UMA, multitasking, and background apps.



    Also note that every revolutionary new feature of the 3GS, except the compass, has already been available on the Blackberry for quite some time. But there's no question that the iPhone is now closer then ever to the Blackberry. Not close enough for me, though, so I'll be sticking with my iPod touch.



    I recently downloaded a free, open-source GPS application for the Curve. You can set it to run in the background and record you movement throughout the day. I used it on a recent fishing trip and it turned out to be really useful. It's a shame no such app is possible on the iPhone.
  • Reply 109 of 137
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by davidT View Post


    Yes exactly. countdown from 140 -> 0.



    all phones here (europe) used to have that, iphone is the first i've seen which does not.



    when you've typed your message, if you see you're over the limit by eg. 2 characters, you go back, delete an unnecessary comma or hyphen, and you've saved 50 cents.



    if you're sending 100 texts a day, you wont have time or patience to count the letters.

    for a traveling salesman or entertainment industry person 100 texts/day is quite normal.



    BB software here does have this feature.



    There must be a app for this problem ?



    9
  • Reply 110 of 137
    We ditched 2 Blackberry Bolds and a Curve for 3GSs and am thrilled so far. Had activation issues but so did a lot of people. Waited until Apple had cut, paste & search worked out as well as the horizontal keyboard to make the switch. BONUS: We're actually saving a little on our new AT&T iPhone rate plans versus what we were spending on our AT&T BB plans.



    IMO Blackberry still does email a little bit better on the device and battery life, while better than before, still sucks on the iPhone. Other than that iPhone wins across the board and we're looking forward to managing one less (BES) server.
  • Reply 111 of 137
    davidtdavidt Posts: 112member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brucep View Post


    There must be a app for this problem ?



    9



    oddly enough, there were only awkward alternative text sending solutions, sender's number was not displayed, text could not be replied to, often text did arrive quickly, etc. maybe somebody will write an app which does this.
  • Reply 112 of 137
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by davidT View Post


    oddly enough, there were only awkward alternative text sending solutions, sender's number was not displayed, text could not be replied to, often text did arrive quickly, etc. maybe somebody will write an app which does this.



    Is there an APP forum ?? They would know what's what with the whole shebang!
  • Reply 113 of 137
    gyokurogyokuro Posts: 83member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post


    Not at all, I never lost a thumb wrestling match if that tells you anything.



    I find landscape best for physical keyboards, which is why I find Palms portrait mode keyboard a bad move. Perhaps I?m just used to it after nearly 2 years but I find the shorter range of movement and the ability to keep the thumbs pointed directly down at the keys much easier than with landscape.



    I do quite a bit of postings here from my iPhone. You can usually tell because I?ll have an unusual number of words that are similar but wrong for the sentence.





    I find it interesting that you may have actually, for a moment, stopped to study the size of your thumbs. I love these forums.



    I am a female and actually prefer landscape mode. I believe it may have more to do with the size of your fingertips, of which mine are narrow. But I digress.



    Nice video of snow leopard in the news! I can't wait!
  • Reply 114 of 137
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gyokuro View Post


    I find it interesting that you may have actually, for a moment, stopped to study the size of your thumbs. I love these forums.



    I?ve measured many things on my person, but not my thumbs.
  • Reply 115 of 137
    gyokurogyokuro Posts: 83member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post


    I?ve measured many things on my person, but not my thumbs.



  • Reply 116 of 137
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gyokuro View Post






    I’ve had tailored suits, get your mind out of the gutter.
  • Reply 117 of 137
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,327member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post


    I?ve had tailored suits, get your mind out of the gutter.



    Are these modern suits, because, you know, the old ones had special parts.
  • Reply 118 of 137
    gyokurogyokuro Posts: 83member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post


    Are these modern suits, because, you know, the old ones had special parts.



    Oh, my.

    You guys know how to make a girl blush.

    Ahem.....

    Hmmm.

  • Reply 119 of 137
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post


    Are these modern suits, because, you know, the old ones had special parts.



    Are you referring to a cod piece?



    So many dirty minds on this forum.
  • Reply 120 of 137
    gyokurogyokuro Posts: 83member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post


    Are you referring to a cod piece?



    So many dirty minds on this forum.



    OMG. I had to log back in to reply to this one. Your link was classic. Thanks for making my night! See y'all later!
Sign In or Register to comment.