Video tour surfaces for Mac OS X Snow Leopard

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Those eager to see Snow Leopard in action can now see it through an unofficial but detailed series of videos detailing the upcoming Mac OS X release.

The tour, built out of a series of YouTube videos from MyAppleGuide, shows some of the key changes made to the operating system in the WWDC build released to developers earlier this month.

So far, the six clips on hand tackle core interface features like the updated Finder, Preview, Stacks, System Preferences and the overhauled interface of QuickTime Player X.

An introduction (shown below) also discusses some of the harder to quantify experiences of Snow Leopard, including significantly improved installation and startup tiimes as well as a default setting that hides the Macintosh HD icon. Not all of the features shown during Phil Schiller's keynote are accessible, however, and omit Expose integration with the Dock, among other features shown at WWDC.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 75
    dagamer34dagamer34 Posts: 494member
    Videos will disappear in 3, 2, 1....
  • Reply 2 of 75
    yodamacyodamac Posts: 59member
    He keeps calling it Quicktime "X" in his videos.

Isn't it Quicktime "10"? ... or what?
  • Reply 3 of 75
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    "Macintosh HD" is the only place I can think of where Apple's current products use "Macintosh" spelled out.
  • Reply 4 of 75
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by YodaMac View Post

Technically, yes, but X is the Roman numeral for ten so it?s only incorrect to those pedant about the vocalization.
  • Reply 5 of 75
    virgil-tb2virgil-tb2 Posts: 1,416member
    I really don't know what Apple is thinking with the tasteless purple smear desktop and that hideously tacky Quicktime X icon. The conventional wisdom among pretty much *all* my artist friends (and me included), that one would have to be blind or stoned to think they are attractive in any way.

When Leopard came out the first question I was asked by almost every person I installed it for was "how do I get rid of that desktop picture for good?"
  • Reply 6 of 75
    l008coml008com Posts: 163member
    Wow i'm having a very hard time understanding the narrator
  • Reply 7 of 75
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post

I really don't know what Apple is thinking with the tasteless purple smear desktop and that hideously tacky Quicktime X icon. The conventional wisdom among pretty much *all* my artist friends (and me included), that one would have to be blind or stoned to think they are attractive in any way.

When Leopard came out the first question I was asked by almost every person I installed it for was "how do I get rid of that desktop picture for good?"

I like the old Leopard aurora a lot. I like the new aurora even better Luckily, conventional wisdom is only subjective.*

(I don't care about the Q icon. I like the colors, but I don't like how the tail has no clear relationship to the sphere.)

* Is anyone taking bets on when Microsoft abandons early-OS-X-style blue-smear desktops (which they imitated in Vista) and starts imitating the purple or the aurora borealis? (And I wonder if they'll REMOVE the glass stuff when Apple eventually does, just like they originally added it to follow Apple.)
  • Reply 8 of 75
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by l008com View Post

yes, apprently some people speak with accents.
  • Reply 9 of 75
    takeotakeo Posts: 445member
    Quote:

I know eh?! Odd accent. Can't place it. He seems to have difficulty with some consonants.
  • Reply 10 of 75
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Takeo View Post

I know eh?! Odd accent. Can't place it. He seems to have difficulty with some consonants.

Some words are extra slow, extra spaced, then some words are like 3 words all crammed together, very hard to follow his words. But the videos are all just the same old stuff we've already seen anyway so who cares.
  • Reply 11 of 75
    yodamacyodamac Posts: 59member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post

...The conventional wisdom among pretty much *all* my artist friends (and me included), that one would have to be blind or stoned to think they are attractive in any way....

Well, whenever I hear "artists" moaning about what other people should think is or isn't "attractive".... I ignore them and their egos.
  • Reply 12 of 75
    Quote:

Well, whenever I hear "artists" moaning about what other people should think is or isn't "attractive".... I ignore them and their egos.

haha, reminds me of my company logos and business cards i designed, that everyone thinks look awesome, except a few graphic artists. I guess anything you don't make yourself looks like crap, that must be why I like them so much :-)

But more on topic, I actually do hate the default background in 10.5, but I do like 10.6's better.

But I took 10.5's, opened it in photoshop and shifted the colors so it was green instead of purple, it looked very cool, much cooler than the Leopard default.

http://img200.imageshack.us/img200/1110/aurorau.jpg
  • Reply 13 of 75
    mactrippermactripper Posts: 1,328member
    Quote:

English with a foreign accent from India is my best guess. Please no 'oversensitive', 'look under every rock for xenophobes' type reactions. thank you!

I'm kinda glad Apple has not included a outgoing firewall.

Even though this would have been a valuable security asset for all OS X users.

It's because Apple would make their own version and it would allow all Apple (and Google) outgoing connections regardless. Apple in my opinion isn't too keen on privacy.

All those update checks are really data mining in disguise.

If I don't want dashboard advisory daemon contacting Apple twice a day, that's my choice. I disabled dashboard long ago. I also blocked GoogleUpdate daemon too, which one has to install to get GoogleEarth even if you don't run it.

So now Little Snitch will still have a place in my menu bar.
  • Reply 14 of 75
    How un-cosmopolitan.

Quote:

• Reply 15 of 75
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:

Hey dude

Virgil is a cool guy so lay off. Its an open forum and someone can say what they will free of not nice replies.
  • Reply 16 of 75
    bedouinbedouin Posts: 331member
    Best watched with sound off.
  • Reply 17 of 75
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brucep View Post

Hey dude

Virgil is a cool guy so lay off. Its an open forum and someone can say what they will free of not nice replies.

you've got to admit YodaMac has a good point though. anyway, i have a B.A. in Art History and i consulted myself and i decided that the background is pretty nice.
  • Reply 18 of 75
    pokepoke Posts: 506member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTripper View Post

English with a foreign accent from India is my best guess. Please no 'oversensitive', 'look under every rock for xenophobes' type reactions. thank you!

I'm guessing he's Indian-Canadian.
  • Reply 19 of 75
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:

Who cares.
  • Reply 20 of 75
    Quote:

A side-effect of trisomy 21, no doubt.

Really, though, how are you having trouble understanding him? It's pretty clear, pretty basic English. \

EDIT: I think, all things considered, it looks like a very nice update. Granted, we've seen it all already -- and Virgil is beyond right about the Quicktime X icon. Blech. Hopefully they reconsider this design before sending it out to the masses.