Video tour surfaces for Mac OS X Snow Leopard

Comments

• Reply 21 of 75
    abster2coreabster2core Posts: 2,501member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by YodaMac View Post

He keeps calling it Quicktime "X" in his videos.

Isn't it Quicktime "10"? ... or what?

My error.
  • Reply 22 of 75
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nagromme View Post

"Macintosh HD" is the only place I can think of where Apple's current products use "Macintosh" spelled out.

In the OS, you are correct - amazing. Doing a search of Apple.com for Macintosh is even more interesting \
  • Reply 23 of 75
    celcocelco Posts: 211member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Takeo View Post

I know eh?! Odd accent. Can't place it. He seems to have difficulty with some consonants.

He sounds like elmer fudd.
  • Reply 24 of 75
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

Where have you been?

http://www.apple.com/macosx/technology/#quicktimex

here have YOU been?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/QuickTime#QuickTime_X
  • Reply 25 of 75
    abster2coreabster2core Posts: 2,501member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MrENGLISH™ View Post

Where have YOU been?

I admit, "I misunderstood the issue."
  • Reply 26 of 75
    dcj001dcj001 Posts: 301member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MrENGLISH? View Post

here have YOU been?

Anyone can edit Wiki pages. Maybe this Wiki description is right; maybe not.

But the Apple URL is:

ending with "quicktimex."

QuickTime X (10) still seems correct, though.
  • Reply 27 of 75
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

What the hell is this about? If you think that I didn't know that…

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DCJ001 View Post

Anyone can edit Wiki pages. Maybe this Wiki description is right; maybe not.

But the Apple URL is:

ending with "quicktimex."

QuickTime X (10) still seems correct, though.

I don't know why Abster2core edited his original reply to me... maybe because he discovered the guy DID pronounce it as "10" and not "X". Anyways... the answer to this question lies in Apple's very own keynote demo of Quicktime X which can be found @ 25:12 of the WWDC video!

Just like how OS X is pronounced OS "TEN" and not "X"
  • Reply 28 of 75
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member
    Quote:

Not all of the features shown during Phil Schiller's keynote are accessible

Phil Schiller didn't show off Snow Leopard, Bertrand Serlet did. How and why is this fact overlooked so often? Do people even pay attention?
  • Reply 29 of 75
    zandroszandros Posts: 537member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by l008com View Post

haha, reminds me of my company logos and business cards i designed, that everyone thinks look awesome, except a few graphic artists. I guess anything you don't make yourself looks like crap, that must be why I like them so much :-)

But more on topic, I actually do hate the default background in 10.5, but I do like 10.6's better.

But I took 10.5's, opened it in photoshop and shifted the colors so it was green instead of purple, it looked very cool, much cooler than the Leopard default.

http://img200.imageshack.us/img200/1110/aurorau.jpg

I just hope they fix the terrible banding in the Leopard Aurora.
  • Reply 30 of 75
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    The desktop doesn't bother me as I always change it anyway. So it doesn't matter to me.

But I do agree the Quicktime icon is gratuitous and uncharacteristic of Apple design.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post

I really don't know what Apple is thinking with the tasteless purple smear desktop and that hideously tacky Quicktime X icon. The conventional wisdom among pretty much *all* my artist friends (and me included), that one would have to be blind or stoned to think they are attractive in any way.

• Reply 31 of 75
    applebookapplebook Posts: 350member
    Agreed that the wallpaper and design are OK.

• Reply 32 of 75
    mactrippermactripper Posts: 1,328member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mjtomlin View Post

Phil Schiller didn't show off Snow Leopard, Bertrand Serlet did. How and why is this fact overlooked so often? Do people even pay attention?

Because we don't like Phil, he tells us what we think we like and he thinks he gets away with it.
  • Reply 33 of 75
    mactrippermactripper Posts: 1,328member
    Can change the boot screen in Leopard.

System/Library/CoreServices/DefaultDesktop.jpg

Save the old one elsewhere, replace with a new one with same name/location
  • Reply 34 of 75
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cwfrederick View Post

you've got to admit YodaMac has a good point though. anyway, i have a B.A. in Art History and i consulted myself and i decided that the background is pretty nice.

+1

Funny enough, I sometimes say OS X. I mean if you look at a red word that spells blue, sometimes you're bound to say red!
  • Reply 35 of 75
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by poke View Post

I'm guessing he's Indian-Canadian.

>sigh< He's Jamaican, people. Clearly Shinehead still has work to do...

__

Futility is resistant
  • Reply 36 of 75
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dagamer34 View Post

Videos will disappear in 3, 2, 1....

I'm surprised they're still up too. Posting them isn't a breach of his developer NDA?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by YodaMac View Post

He keeps calling it Quicktime "X" in his videos. Isn't it Quicktime "10"? ... or what?

That irked me too.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Technically, yes, but X is the Roman numeral for ten so it?s only incorrect to those pedant about the vocalization.

"Pedant"? Cool word! So that's what I am! Being a former TEFL teacher, I guess it was inevitable.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MrENGLISH? View Post

Anyways... the answer to this question lies in Apple's very own keynote demo of Quicktime X which can be found @ 25:12 of the WWDC video! Just like how OS X is pronounced OS "TEN" and not "X"

Exactly. Apple pronounces it "ten," so "ten" it is as far as I'm concerned.

Then again, the Roman numeral X as the name of the Mac OS brand does still trip up people unfamiliar with it, Apple or the history of the Mac OS. Carrying the naming convention over to QuickTime clearly hasn't driven the concept home for many. And there are still others who don't care. Have there been any hints that Apple may eventually retire the Roman numeral X branding in favor of something? I dunno? less prone to different pronunciations?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by l008com View Post

Wow i'm having a very hard time understanding the narrator

Quote:
    Originally Posted by sacrilegend View Post

Really, though, how are you having trouble understanding him? It's pretty clear, pretty basic English. \

He sounds Indian to me. Non-native English speakers often have pronunciation patterns in English (influenced by their native languages) that sometimes sound strange or confusing to native English speakers. I'm sure the reverse is true too. I play racquetball with an Indian guy. He speaks perfectly good English, but he is a little hard to understand sometimes. Instead of pronouncing 7 as "SEV-en" as most native English speakers do, he pronounces it "se-VUN." And the the "v" comes out more like a "b" sometimes too. He also tends to mumble the score when he serves as well so his "7" often sounds like "one" (meant for eleven) and I think he's trying to sneak some points in on me.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post

I really don't know what Apple is thinking with [?] that hideously tacky Quicktime X icon.

Quote:

EDIT: I think [?] Virgil is beyond right about the Quicktime X icon. Blech. Hopefully they reconsider this design before sending it out to the masses.

I don't find the QT X icon as offensive as others here seem to, but the design does seem to be more retro than forward. Reminds me of Tiger.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTripper View Post

Because we don't like Phil, he tells us what we think we like and he thinks he gets away with it.

I like Phil.
  • Reply 37 of 75
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Those eager to see Snow Leopard in action can now see it through an unofficial but detailed series of videos detailing the upcoming Mac OS X release.

How is this video legal, for one thing? Isn't there a non-disclosure agreement on OS X?

Secondly, is this all there is? Man, OS X hasn't changed much. No wonder they're selling it cheap! It's like a zero to me from what I can see. Couldn't care less if my icons are big or I can share my scanner over the network -- who does that?
  • Reply 38 of 75
    pg4gpg4g Posts: 383member
    These videos won't technically be legal, but I doubt Apple will run after the posters. (I've got Snow Leopard and reviewed the NDA)

Why? Because these details have already been released. The NDA's aren't about locking off people from detailing announced features, its about not disclosing 1) unannounced product details or 2) industry secrets that are important for developers to know ahead of time, but shouldn't be allowed to competitors.

The reason Apple kept the NDA over the iPhone SDK after its official release was because industry secrets needed to be protected, but used and understood by developers. It was only dropped because Apple decided any detriment caused by allowing out details of iPhone OS was outweighed by the affect the NDA was having on developers in a learning and community sense.

*Please note these details are provided directly from Apple's communication with me as a developer (though these details are not themselves covered by NDA)
  • Reply 39 of 75
    houseleyhouseley Posts: 147member
    Quote:

A side-effect of trisomy 21, no doubt.

You're making a cheap crack by accusing the poster of having Downs syndrome?

You'd find a joke about him being black or gay or blind or Hispanic equally funny I guess. Since when is making jokes about learning disabilities ok around here?

You really are a nasty A-Grade jerk.
  • Reply 40 of 75
    r00fusr00fus Posts: 245member
    [post deleted by author]