Jobs seen back on Apple campus

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Speculation about Steve Jobs' health has reached a fever pitch as at least one eyewitness has claimed Apple's chief executive is back on campus the same day the company itself dropped a possible clue of its own.

An anonymous Reuters journalist on the grounds of the the Cupertino, Calif.-based firm says that Jobs was exiting the building wearing his familiar mock turtleneck and jeans, conversing with an unknown other person and then entering a black car -- not the silver Mercedes SL he's known to often, but not always, drive to work.

While numerous if unverifiable reports have surfaced of Jobs visiting the campus, especially in recent days, the latest instance follows on the same day as Jobs was quoted in a press release for the first time since his leave began in January. Even in the string of high profile product announcements at WWDC, the company's PR dutifully quoted senior VP of worldwide product marketing Phil Schiller, not Jobs -- a likely indicator that Apple views its co-founder as back on the job.

Whether the specific sighting is authentic or otherwise, it would also at least coincide with purported leaks that put Jobs on track for his late June return thanks to a well-timed liver transplant. With the surgery having supposedly taken place two months prior, Jobs would now have had time to recover and take up the reins once again -- albeit in a part-time role at first to avoid placing undue stress on the executive until he's ready to return in earnest.

Not surprisingly, Apple hasn't commented on any sightings and has only maintained that Jobs is due back in late June, which is now at hand.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 58
    sigs21sigs21 Posts: 82member
    Its like wheres Waldo..
  • Reply 2 of 58
    sandausandau Posts: 1,230member
    he just needs to make it to 2021, the singularity.... c'mon jobsie! you can make it!
  • Reply 3 of 58
    jpellinojpellino Posts: 699member
    (a) that he's back and well and

(2) that the team can ramp up, change the laptop line, hold WWDC, and sell 1M iPhone 3Gs even in his absence.

Apple does not run in circles, scream and shout, and play foosball when Steve is away. Good.
  • Reply 4 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sandau View Post

he just needs to make it to 2021, the singularity.... c'mon jobsie! you can make it!

The singularity?
  • Reply 5 of 58
    Attaboy, Steve!
  • Reply 6 of 58
    alanskyalansky Posts: 235member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jpellino View Post

(a) that he's back and well and

(2) that the team can ramp up, change the laptop line, hold WWDC, and sell 1M iPhone 3Gs even in his absence.

Apple does not run in circles, scream and shout, and play foosball when Steve is away. Good.

Apple has a first-class team running the show, no doubt about it. But as good as they are, they can only go where Steve points them. Hooray for the ship! But Steve is in charge of the rudder!
  • Reply 7 of 58
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    Evidence that Apple has perfected holographic projection.
  • Reply 8 of 58
    cu10cu10 Posts: 294member
  • Reply 9 of 58
    @CU10

Now that you mention it, that desktop background looks surprisingly like snow leopard/leopard in general with the purple and everything
  • Reply 10 of 58
    Quote:

Evidence that Apple has perfected holographic projection.

He better not be dead. Me and Steve will be married someday. Of course before 2012, whence the world will end. An app will be invented for that.
  • Reply 11 of 58
    On a side note, what if Steve has been spending this time off porting his own self into OS X. As in he is the operating system... Soon iNet will take over the world... 2012
  • Reply 12 of 58
    davidtdavidt Posts: 112member
    It is fascinating to read some of the comments that are being posted on this and other forums about Jobs' health and return to work.

I am happy he seems to be healthier, and hope he lives a long life. As I wish for every human being.

But when I read something like: (see above)

"But as good as they (the apple team) are, they can only go where Steve points them. Hooray for the ship! But Steve is in charge of the rudder!"

I am very much reminded of growing up in a totalitarian country, in which the great leader/dictator was praised with endless adulation. The above quote could be straight off the front page of North Korea's official newspapers. "Our beloved Leader has returned to look after us as only he can with his divine wisdom"

Or from 'Time' magazine: (Replace Kim with Steve and Pyongyang with Apple):

"An easy way of summing up Kim's life in one sentence would be to throw in the words reportedly, allegedly and the occasional is said to. So little is known for sure about him ? and so widespread are the myths about him generated by Pyongyang's tireless propaganda machine ?that the real story of North Korea's leader can be hard to divine"

Of course the genius of Apple is that they don't have to build fences to keep the "citizens" loyal, and he does not need a tireless propaganda machine. The user base is loyal and the customers happily and tirelessly generate hype and buzz of their own accord; and constantly elevate him to new heights of awesomeness, he doesn't need a secret police or control of the military.

I am sure that were they alive today the leaders of many an eastern european state would be taking lessons from Jobs' strategies and tactics when it comes to propaganda.

Just a few thoughts about loving a leader you have never met, and a leader who enjoys similar adoration to leaders of cults and sects around the world.

And before anybody feels the need to strike me as hater or other silly words: I repeat, I'm happy that it seems he's healthier, and I enjoy using Apple products very much. They work well and are beautifully designed. It's the unquestioning nature of many of their customers which always worries me. Do they feel the need to pour adoration on a leader? It's not as if Apple are giving away their hard and software. Can't the customers just buy & use the computers and phones without an emotional involvement with the CEO?
  • Reply 13 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by davidT View Post

Can't the customers just buy & use the computers and phones without an emotional involvement with the CEO?

No.

• Reply 14 of 58
    icfireballicfireball Posts: 2,594member
    Sorry, but this is bugging me:

Quote:

An anonymous Reuters journalist on the grounds of the the Cupertino, Calif.-based firm says that Jobs was exiting the building wearing his familiar mock turtleneck and jeans, conversing with an unknown other person and then entering a black car -- not the silver Mercedes SL he's known to often, but not always, drive to work.

Apart from that sentence being a horrendous run-on, adverbs and their predicates shouldn't be separated by a subordinating clause. Additionally, the "but not always" clause is unnecessary because "often" implies that an occurrence is not "always." One could say "not the silver Mercedes SL he's often known to drive to work." This gives the idiomatic meaning that people familiar with Steve know he usually drives his silver Mercedes SL to work. Alternatively, one could say: "not the silver Mercedes SL he's known to drive to work often." This second option has a nuanced difference that gives the meaning that it known that Steve drives his silver Mercedes SL to work frequently. The first option is preferable because "often" modifies "known."
  • Reply 15 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GregoriusM View Post

No.

Excellent - I can see why you might be called Garrulous Gregorius.
  • Reply 16 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by icfireball View Post

Sorry, but this is bugging me: Apart from that sentence being a horrendous run-on"

Yes, that sentence was pretty bad. Now I am wondering whether you will be slated as fanboy or hater or complainer or whiner or whether you'll be accused of posting something which does not relate directly to Jobs' alleged health situation or conspiracy theorist or dick cheney. Or all all of the above.

take care

-D
  • Reply 17 of 58
    ouraganouragan Posts: 437member
    I regret Steve Jobs' return as Apple's CEO, not only because it holds back the company, but because the added stress will shorten his life expectancy. Steve Jobs deserves better. Steve Jobs should enjoy his tremendous wealth and take a well deserved retirement. Does he really want to die on the job?

• Reply 18 of 58
    stormchildstormchild Posts: 104member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Speculation about Steve Jobs' health has reached a fever pitch

?fevered pitch?
  • Reply 19 of 58
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ouragan View Post

I regret Steve Jobs' return as Apple's CEO, not only because it holds back the company, but because the added stress will shorten his life expectancy.

How does he hold the company back. He was apparently deeply involved in bring to us iPhone and iPod Touch. Hitting a home run isn't holding the company back.

On the other hand I have to agree to much stress to quick can be a big negative with respect to recovery. Work however is it's own therapy, there just needs to be a smooth ramp up.

Quote:

Steve Jobs deserves better. Steve Jobs should enjoy his tremendous wealth and take a well deserved retirement. Does he really want to die on the job?

you must be a young guy, key me tell you retirement is in many cases a quick path to a pine box! Through the years I've seen many a guy retire just to end up dead within a year. Work actually seems to extend a persons life. Of course if you have a plan or goal for retirement you may do better. When it comes down to it Steve needs to steer his own ship just like the rest of us.

Quote:

Better to die in the saddle than to wither away in a nursing home.

Dave
  • Reply 20 of 58
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by icfireball View Post

Sorry, but this is bugging me:

Apart from that sentence being a horrendous run-on, adverbs and their predicates shouldn't be separated by a subordinating clauses. Additionally, the "but not always" clause is unnecessary because "often" implies that an occurrence is not "always." Once could say "not the silver Mercedes SL he's often known to drive to work." This gives the idiomatic meaning that people familiar with Steve know he usually drives his silver Mercedes SL to work. Alternatively, one could say: "not the silver Mercedes SL he's known to drive to work often." This second option has a nuanced difference that gives the meaning that it known that Steve drives his silver Mercedes SL to work frequently. The first option is preferable because "often" modifies "known."

He used to drive a Porsche Boxster to work as well.

One of my favorite was a certain Compiler Engineer from NeXT who bought this the day he could exercise some of his options:

http://www.ferrari.com/English/GT_Sp...F1_Spider.aspx