Apple sells over 1 million iPhone 3G Ss in first three days

123457»

Comments

• Reply 121 of 138
    winterspanwinterspan Posts: 605member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Now you're spreading the BS. It doesn't have a SATA/150 controller.

The Nvidia GeForce 9400M chipset includes native support for 3.0 Gbs.

First of all, you are ignoring my main point which is that the SATA 1.5gbps limit had nothing to do with the drives themselves as nearly every new drive, SDD or HDD, sold in the last three years has SATA/3.0 support. The problem of drives being limited to SATA/1.5 on the new Macbook Pro 13" and 15" was the computer, not the drives.

Secondly, in response to your charge, If you actually *READ* my post, I said that the new Macbook Pro 13"/15" have "SATA/150-enabled drive controllers" I.E. THEY ARE NOT RUNNING AT SATA/3.0 SPEEDS. You are clearly arguing semantics.

Anyways, it is all irrelevant now as Apple has released a patch that corrects the issue by enabling SATA/3.0 on the controller. Obviously, as I have been saying for days now, this WAS A LEGITIMATE ISSUE, and that is indeed why Apple fixed it so quickly.
  • Reply 122 of 138
    piotpiot Posts: 1,346member
    Quote:

Are we talking about the same thing here? My response was to the post about why the analysts projections were what they were, and why giving a low estimate didn't affect their holdings.

Apologies. I quoted the wrong post. This is what I was responding to.

Quote:

Because like some others here, he's mad that he can't get that latest and best for less money than he's entitled to.

• Reply 123 of 138
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,403member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by quinney View Post

Brown Zunes

Funny you should bring that up.

That is what -- and wilco is who -- made me originally sign on to AI, so that I could respond to his obsessive-compulsive posts on brown/poo (I'll skip the details on why).

\

PS: As a result, despite his weirdness and rudeness, I've always been a little partial towards him!
  • Reply 124 of 138
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by winterspan View Post

First of all, you are ignoring my main point which is that the SATA 1.5gbps limit had nothing to do with the drives themselves as nearly every new drive, SDD or HDD, sold in the last three years has SATA/3.0 support. The problem of drives being limited to SATA/1.5 on the new Macbook Pro 13" and 15" was the computer, not the drives.

Actually no, that's not true. not all SDD's have been running on SATA 3 Gbs (which is only partly congruent with SATA 3 itself).

Besides, I had read that some drive did run at 3.0 speeds. what I'm getting out of Apple's response, is that their own drives did run at 3.0, while (most) third party drives didn't.

Quote:

Secondly, in response to your charge, If you actually *READ* my post, I said that the new Macbook Pro 13"/15" have "SATA/150-enabled drive controllers" I.E. THEY ARE NOT RUNNING AT SATA/3.0 SPEEDS. You are clearly arguing semantics.

I read your post twice, because it made no sense. All SATA controllers that are SATA 3.0 will run at 1.5 speeds, so that says nothing. When you said 150 enabled drive controllers, you clearly were saying that they were exactly that. Whatever you may say now.

It's not semantics. It's what you said. You could have said that the 3.0 controller was running at 1.5. Yours isn't the only post that said that Apple was using a 1.5 drive controller.

Seeing as how it's not what you meant, I'll agree with what you say you meant.

Quote:

Anyways, it is all irrelevant now as Apple has released a patch that corrects the issue by enabling SATA/3.0 on the controller. Obviously, as I have been saying for days now, this WAS A LEGITIMATE ISSUE, and that is indeed why Apple fixed it so quickly.

Yes, it is irrelevant, and I certainly didn't say that it wasn't a legit issue.
  • Reply 125 of 138
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by piot View Post

Apologies. I quoted the wrong post. This is what I was responding to.

I thought you meant that, but I wasn't sure.

What I'm saying is that these companies are doing what they have to do in the face of changes in exchange rates, and contractual obligations, and increasing taxes.

When I spoke to the rep from my daughter's school in England last month about buying her a new 24" iMac because she's a photography major, she said that ALL electronics are very expensive in England, and that if we could manage to bring it with us, it would be cheaper.

When I bought an E-6 photo processor from an European firm in the mid '90s, they had a crew of German guys who installed such machines in North America. We naturally spoke about photographic equipment. They said that they would buy Zeiss and Leica equipment in the US and pay the duties going back to Germany, because it was much cheaper to buy German made goods here than there.

That's life. I don't see any point in complaining about it.
  • Reply 126 of 138
    Quote:

What I'm saying is that these companies are doing what they have to do in the face of changes in exchange rates, and contractual obligations, and increasing taxes.

Totally understand all that. However, taking account currency fluctuations, I was expecting the new GS (in the UK) to come in at around 30-35% more expensive than last year. The new price turns up 85% higher. We have even had our sales taxed reduced. -2.5%

http://shop.o2.co.uk/update/paymonth.html

Imagine the outcry in the US if the 16GB GS debuted at $280 instead of $ 199.

I simple mean that whining about unexpected price increases is not the same as expecting something for nothing.
  • Reply 127 of 138
    Quote:

Totally understand all that. However, taking account currency fluctuations, I was expecting the new GS (in the UK) to come in at around 30-35% more expensive than last year. The new price turns up 85% higher. We have even had our sales taxed reduced. -2.5%

Imagine the outcry in the US if the 16GB GS debuted at $280 instead of $ 199.

I simple mean that whining about unexpected price increases is not the same as expecting something for nothing.

Do you think that Apple and O2 just decided to raise the price just because they could?

I don't think so. Why would they want to limit sales that way? Is O2 so badly in need of cash that it feels it has to raise the price?
  • Reply 128 of 138
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:

Actually no, that's not true. not all SDD's have been running on SATA 3 Gbs (which is only partly congruent with SATA 3 itself).

Besides, I had read that some drive did run at 3.0 speeds. what I'm getting out of Apple's response, is that their own drives did run at 3.0, while (most) third party drives didn't.

I read your post twice, because it made no sense. All SATA controllers that are SATA 3.0 will run at 1.5 speeds, so that says nothing. When you said 150 enabled drive controllers, you clearly were saying that they were exactly that. Whatever you may say now.

It's not semantics. It's what you said. You could have said that the 3.0 controller was running at 1.5. Yours isn't the only post that said that Apple was using a 1.5 drive controller.

Seeing as how it's not what you meant, I'll agree with what you say you meant.

Yes, it is irrelevant, and I certainly didn't say that it wasn't a legit issue.

So what was the big deal ?? Nothing runs at 3 g bus speed anyway?

huh
  • Reply 129 of 138
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Funny you should bring that up.

That is what -- and wilco is who -- made me originally sign on to AI, so that I could respond to his obsessive-compulsive posts on brown/poo (I'll skip the details on why).

\

PS: As a result, despite his weirdness and rudeness, I've always been a little partial towards him!

Wilco wilco

roger wilco and out .

He was a nasty guy.at times . Why didn't you email him while he was here We all saw he needed a friend .
  • Reply 130 of 138
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sennen View Post

lots of whining, no "thanks for getting the fix out so quickly." funny how things work around here.

Exactly
  • Reply 131 of 138
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    [deleted]

Decided it was better not to comment on price complaints.
  • Reply 132 of 138
    Let's get one thing straight. I am not whining about the price. I bought a GS. It's not a problem.

Quote:

Do you think that Apple and O2 just decided to raise the price just because they could?

No I don't, but equally I can't find a good reason why the 3GS costs 87% more than last year's 3G. Can you?
  • Reply 133 of 138
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

No I don't, but equally I can't find a good reason why the 3GS costs 87% more than last year's 3G. Can you?

Have you converted both prices into USD based on the exchange rate at the time of launch?
  • Reply 134 of 138
    Quote:

Then you agree that there must logically be a legitimate reason even though you can't figure out what it is?

If so, what's the problem other than just being unhappy about the price rise, which when it happens, I'm never happy about either.
  • Reply 135 of 138
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Have you converted both prices into USD based on the exchange rate at the time of launch?

You might remember me from the "lemon Bon Bon iMac" thread. It's the first thing I did.

Exchange rate should account for a 20 to 30 % increase in the UK price.

2.5% percent has actually been knocked off our VAT

That leaves a pretty large discrepancy. Take a look at the 3G prices.

That's the same price as O2 were charging for it 12 months ago ... yet in the US it's been cut in half.

Someone's pricing policy has changed. I believe Mel is looking into it for me.
  • Reply 136 of 138
    Quote:

You might remember me from the "lemon Bon Bon iMac" thread. It's the first thing I did.

That's the same price as O2 were charging for it 12 months ago ... yet in the US it's been cut in half.

I'm trying to figure this out for myself as we're going to be buying a 24" iMac for our daughter by the September school term, and an iPhone from O2.

I'm not a disinterested party.
  • Reply 137 of 138
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

I’m not quite understanding what you’re getting at. I’m on o2’s site and the 32GB iPhone 3GS is £175.19. Convert to today’s USD and you get $285.42, or $13.58 less than what I paid for my 32GB iPhone 3GS not including the high California tax that gets appended at checkout.

I the 16GB iPhone 3GS has an even larger variance with the £87.11 being only $141.92. I don’t know what the exchange rate was last year at launch but this is looking cheaper than AT&T’s offerings. On top of that the plans look cheaper while offering more and the 8GB iPhone 3G is free.
  • Reply 138 of 138
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

less than what I paid for my

This is not about UK vs US prices.

It's about this year vs last year's prices

http://news.zdnet.co.uk/communicatio...9662585,00.htm

"O2 blames Apple for UK iPhone 3G S prices

O2's comments come after ZDNet UK pointed out that at launch, the cost of the new mid-range iPhone (which comes with 16GB of storage) was 87 percent more than the cost of last year's (which came with 8GB). "