Jobs seen back on Apple campus

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 58
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ecking View Post

He wears the black turtle and jeans in his everyday life?

He does. I suppose they made him wear a gown in the hospital, but I wouldn't spend too much time trying to picture that.
  • Reply 42 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by imGayForSteveJobs View Post

On a side note, what if Steve has been spending this time off porting his own self into OS X. As in he is the operating system... Soon iNet will take over the world... 2012

Wow, with fans like you, it's no wonder these guys need security.
  • Reply 43 of 58
    icfireballicfireball Posts: 2,594member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by deanbar View Post

I can't believe you're slating the grammar etc in the article, when your post is so full of bad grammar and typos!!!!!!

All too often posters here are so quick to slate a slip-up in grammar or typos, but they don't stop to think that there is often pressure to release a breaking story in haste. This is not an English class we're attending. What does it matter as long as we can get the gist of what is being said. You must lead a boring life.

My mistakes were mechanical (typos, not grammar) due to not proofreading my forum posts at 1:09am. The writer's errors were grammatical and structural. Regardless, published content is typically held to a higher standard than forum dribble...
  • Reply 44 of 58
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by davidT View Post

Of course the genius of Apple is that they don't have to build fences to keep the "citizens" loyal, and he does not need a tireless propaganda machine. The user base is loyal and the customers happily and tirelessly generate hype and buzz of their own accord; and constantly elevate him to new heights of awesomeness, he doesn't need a secret police or control of the military.

Sigh - I don't think for the majority of Apple fans the sole reason they are Apple fans is because of the cult of personality that is Steve Jobs.

Sure, it's fun to talk about the reality distortion field and the keynotes he gave were well orchestrated and fun to watch - but I have a sneaky suspicion most people are loyal to Apple products because of what they are - the overall design, the fine attention to user-oriented detail (instead of geek oriented feature checklists) and the fanatical devotion to the overall experience.

I know that's why I'm a loyal Apple fan. But if they slip back into the mediocrity of the mid-90's I will have no problem moving to anyone else that might offer a better more meaningful experience. Not that I'm worried about that happening - it's obvious Steve has trained his top lieutenants well. You can't turn out devices like the iPhone through the sheer will of one person - even if it is someone like Jobs. There has to be a pervasive culture of excellence and attention to detail. Sure Apple messes up here and now, but they do seem to be reacting faster then they ever have in addressing shortcomings. So while I'm glad Steve is back, I dont' think it's absolutely necessary.
  • Reply 45 of 58
    tt92618tt92618 Posts: 444member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by crees! View Post

Very well said.

I don't think it was well said at all. Essentially, Jobs is likened to despot. Generally, such people aren't in the least bit concerned about the welfare of the people under them, and their motivation is raw power for its own sake. These people aren't concerned about empowering people, or making their lives better, they are interested in empowering themselves and making their own lives better, often at the expense of everyone else.

Jobs is not dictatorial. Jobs is interested in building vertically integrated platforms that are somewhat closed, for the purpose of providing the best experience to the user that is possible. He exercises a great deal of influence in these development efforts, but it is not like he designed the iPhone, iMac, iPod, etc. all by himself. Jobs works with teams of people and he has consistently seen it as one of his roles to keep the talent level of his organizations high. He has no time for people who are unwilling to perform, but Apple has historically rewarded talent and performance very well. Jobs is by most accounts a perfectionist who won't give up his positions without convincing, but that doesn't mean he cannot be convinced. Jobs is a man with a certain vision of how things should be, and he isn't willing to compromise on that vision without some pretty convincing reasons to do so. None of this makes him a dictator. I thought the comparison was unflattering and in poor taste.
  • Reply 46 of 58
    gmcalpingmcalpin Posts: 266member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Stormchild View Post

?fevered pitch?

No.

http://wordnetweb.princeton.edu/perl...=fever%20pitch
  • Reply 47 of 58
    when people post "insights" into Jobs' own persona, and he reads them, whether he just laughs or crys...

Quote:
    Originally Posted by tt92618 View Post

I don't think it was well said at all. Essentially, Jobs is likened to despot. Generally, such people aren't in the least bit concerned about the welfare of the people under them, and their motivation is raw power for its own sake. These people aren't concerned about empowering people, or making their lives better, they are interested in empowering themselves and making their own lives better, often at the expense of everyone else.

Jobs is not dictatorial. Jobs is interested in building vertically integrated platforms that are somewhat closed, for the purpose of providing the best experience to the user that is possible. He exercises a great deal of influence in these development efforts, but it is not like he designed the iPhone, iMac, iPod, etc. all by himself. Jobs works with teams of people and he has consistently seen it as one of his roles to keep the talent level of his organizations high. He has no time for people who are unwilling to perform, but Apple has historically rewarded talent and performance very well. Jobs is by most accounts a perfectionist who won't give up his positions without convincing, but that doesn't mean he cannot be convinced. Jobs is a man with a certain vision of how things should be, and he isn't willing to compromise on that vision without some pretty convincing reasons to do so. None of this makes him a dictator. I thought the comparison was unflattering and in poor taste.

• Reply 48 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MotherBrain View Post

when people post "insights" into Jobs' own persona, and he reads them, whether he just laughs or crys...

I would think that if it is a cruel dig with little mercy or grace he must respond like any other human being would. Whether the 'insights' people post here are correct or not, I'm pretty sure nobody likes being trash-talked by people who don't even know them.

Next time you see Steve Jobs, why don't you ask him how he receives the ignorant effluent that spills out of some people's mouths around here. Maybe he'll tell you.
  • Reply 49 of 58
    Quote:

I would think that if it is a cruel dig with little mercy or grace he must respond like any other human being would. Whether the 'insights' people post here are correct or not, I'm pretty sure nobody likes being trash-talked by people who don't even know them.

Next time you see Steve Jobs, why don't you ask him how he receives the ignorant effluent that spills out of some people's mouths around here. Maybe he'll tell you.

I'll ask him tomorrow, smarty pants.
  • Reply 50 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MotherBrain View Post

I'll ask him tomorrow, smarty pants.

Please do! Report back what he has to say.

By the way, in all honestly I'm not trying to be Mr. smartypants. I don't know SJ. My statements were based on things SJ has said, and on what others who actually have worked with him have had to say.

Overall, I am aware that my 'insights' are no more valid than anyone else who has never met the man, but at least I am not rushing to condemn him as some sort of dictator who just likes to bust heads. If you look at what SJ says, and you accept that as truth, then much of what I said must be true.

But then again, maybe not. Ask him and let me know. ;-)
  • Reply 51 of 58
    Quote:

Please do! Report back what he has to say.

By the way, in all honestly I'm not trying to be Mr. smartypants. I don't know SJ. My statements were based on things SJ has said, and on what others who actually have worked with him have had to say.

Overall, I am aware that my 'insights' are no more valid than anyone else who has never met the man, but at least I am not rushing to condemn him as some sort of dictator who just likes to bust heads. If you look at what SJ says, and you accept that as truth, then much of what I said must be true.

But then again, maybe not. Ask him and let me know. ;-)

I was just kidding around with you, but it must be kinda weird to have people, that don't know you, post things about you like they do know you. That's all I'm saying. I will ask him what he thinks about all of this in between his sponge bath and his therapeutic Rock Band jam. The Woz is comin' over tonight and bringin "The Noise" Schiller with him this time. It should be pretty sweet!
  • Reply 52 of 58
    bigpicsbigpics Posts: 1,397member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ouragan View Post

Steve Jobs deserves better. Steve Jobs should enjoy his tremendous wealth and take a well deserved retirement.

Does he really want to die on the job?

I know I do.

I keep seeing posts like this, and at 65, they drive me bonkers. I've got friends chasing little white balls around manicured lawns, others hanging out otherwise, and if that makes them satisfied and fulfilled, more power to 'em.

But for those who love what they do and who care about making a difference about their passions - and if that doesn't doesn't describe Steve Jobs, I don't know who it describes - continuing to do those things (or taking on even new challenges) for as long as we can is a good chunk of what makes life worth living.

I can feel the aging process, and am accumulating diagnoses of my own, but I write, perform, do fine art photography, build websites, provide tech support to friends, run a small corporation, bedevil tech forums with my blathering, etc., and while it's not all pedal to the metal all the time, with significant others, travel and entertainment given time, I wouldn't have it any other way.

If my body or mind fail in stages and I end up having a dotage where I have to quit trying to be productive, plenty of time to sit around and reminisce as best I can, but should I pop an aneurysm on stage delivering a rousing reading, hey, totally a fitting way to check out. Hell yeah!

So be thrilled for SJ, not faux-protective, if his juices still get flowing as he pulls up on One Infinite Loop - for as long as he still loves and is fully capable of honcho-ing the next insanely great product burning in his head.
  • Reply 53 of 58
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bigpics View Post

I know I do.

I keep seeing posts like this, and at 65, they drive me bonkers. I've got friends chasing little white balls around manicured lawns, others hanging out otherwise, and if that makes them satisfied and fulfilled, more power to 'em.

But for those who love what they do and who care about making a difference about their passions - and if that doesn't doesn't describe Steve Jobs, I don't who it describes - continuing to do those things (or taking on even new challenges) for as long as we can is a good chunk of what makes life worth living.

I agree. If you like what you do, it's not really work. And if it's not really work, then why retire?

That said, the CEO of a public corporation has other things to consider. They need to maintain fitness for their position, and also consider what happens when they are no longer able to perform.
  • Reply 54 of 58
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by davidT View Post

It i

I am very much reminded of growing up in a totalitarian country, in which the great leader/dictator ?

Your nazi comparisons to apple fans and steve jobs is way off base. I wonder what agenda you have here david. I am considered an expert on stalin hitler and agitating words. it took e all of 3 seconnds to see thru this guise of yours/

with so many things you could have said you choose something distasteful .

>>>>>>i am very much reminded of growing up in a totalitarian country>>>>>

What does this mean.

exactly what does it mean .

• Reply 55 of 58
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bigpics View Post

I know I do.

But for those who love what they do and who care about making a difference about their passions - and if that doesn't doesn't describe Steve Jobs, I don't know who it describes - continuing to do those things (or taking on even new challenges) for as long as we can is a good chunk of what makes life worth living.

I can feel the aging process, and am accumulating diagnoses of my own, but I write, perform, do fine art photography, build websites, provide tech support to friends, run a small corporation, bedevil tech forums with my blathering, etc., and while it's not all pedal to the metal all the time, with significant others, travel and entertainment given time, I wouldn't have it any other way.

If my body or mind fail in stages and I end up having a dotage where I have to quit trying to be productive, plenty of time to sit around and reminisce as best I can, but should I pop an aneurysm on stage delivering a rousing reading, hey, totally a fitting way to check out. Hell yeah!

So be thrilled for SJ, not faux-protective, if his juices still get flowing as he pulls up on One Infinite Loop - for as long as he still loves and is fully capable of honcho-ing the next insanely great product burning in his head.

I hope for everyone to reach this level of wisdom. All respect to you.
  • Reply 56 of 58
    oneaburnsoneaburns Posts: 354member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by deanbar View Post

I can't believe you're slating the grammar etc in the article, when your post is so full of bad grammar and typos!!!!!!

All too often posters here are so quick to slate a slip-up in grammar or typos, but they don't stop to think that there is often pressure to release a breaking story in haste. This is not an English class we're attending. What does it matter as long as we can get the gist of what is being said. You must lead a boring life.

Someone is just trying to sound smart. Yawn.
  • Reply 57 of 58
    ericblrericblr Posts: 172member
    This is becoming like elvis sightings! LOL!
  • Reply 58 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ericblr View Post

This is becoming like elvis sightings! LOL!

...it's becoming like "Bizarro World" news reporting!...Jobs is up running around two months after a liver transplant??...well, he sure is doing a lot better than most:

http://www.cambridge-transplant.org....eractivity.htm

...anonymous Reuters reporters???...since when are reporters anonymous?...and if Jobs were out running around, why aren't there one or two million videos of him on youtube?...it's all nonsense!