AT&T Navigator turn-by-turn GPS solution hits the App Store

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
AT&T on Tuesday became the latest player to attempt to capitalize on what's sure to become a multi-million dollar market for iPhone-based turn-by-turn GPS driving solutions, launching its AT&T Navigator software on the App Store.

Like similar offerings for other AT&T handsets, the software was developed by Sunnyvale, Calif.-based TeleNav and branded as AT&T Navigator. The application itself (AppStore) is free, but requires a $9.95 monthly service subscription, which the exclusive U.S. iPhone carrier plans to market alongside new iPhone sales at its retail and online stores as a bolt-on service.

Compatible with the iPhone 3G and iPhone 3G S running iPhone Software 3.0, the software promises voice-guide, 3D on-screen navigation with automatic rerouting incase users miss a turn. The monthly subscription fee also covers automatic map updates that will be downloaded to the iPhone and real-time traffic updates.

Users of the software can also search for the lowest gas prices, and the closest coffee shops and AT&T WiFi hotspots along their driving routes. Trips can be planned by entering addresses on the iPhone itself, or from a Mac or PC, where they'll then be synced over to the the Apple handset.

Early reviews of the software have been relatively positive, though one reviewer notes that maps are not stored in the application itself, which means they're download in real-time, which could pose a problem in areas where wireless service is unavailable.

AT&T Navigator is bound to face off against an upcoming offering from GPS device maker TomTom, the software for which is being developed with the help of Apple engineers. It will be sold alongside a TomTom car kit accessory, which enhances the iPhone's GPS signal through its dock connector thanks to third-party accessory support built into the iPhone SDK 3.0.

The kit also charges the iPhone, includes a built-in loud speaker for spoken turn-by-turn directions, and comes equipped with a microphone for hands-free calling. TomTom has yet to announce pricing for either the software or the car kit.

On Monday, Navigon released its own MobileNavigator for European residents. The software fetches £54.99 and includes built-in 2D and 3D maps of Europe, allowing it to function without a wireless connection.

AT&T's plans to introduce a TeleNav-developed AT&T Navigator solution to iPhone owners for a $9.95 monthly subscription fee were first reported by AppleInsider earlier this month.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 128
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    Subscription model sucks...$9.95/mth = $120 yr.

Why not buy a standalone GPS?

Do city streets change so much that one needs to update maps every year?
  • Reply 2 of 128
    ndbbmndbbm Posts: 10member
    And that is the million dollar question. With the ATT subscription, I think, you can have it for a month and then cancel it, only paying for the months that you would use it. So you would have, in theory, up to date maps, poi, etc. With the stand alone, I have heard that the updates can be $80 or more for the new maps and such. So it would come down to each person and what is needed for them.

Jason
  • Reply 3 of 128
    akf2000akf2000 Posts: 223member
    I'm going under a bridge hope this doesn't affect-I'M LOST I'M LOST
  • Reply 4 of 128
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    Does anyone know if the Tom Tom cradle has a line out jack for letting the iPhone play music through the car stereo?
  • Reply 5 of 128
    mac voyermac voyer Posts: 1,294member
    I say fail! Let me get this straight, we are to trust the network that cannot keep our calls connected under the best of conditions, that network is going to be responsible keeping me from getting lost when I am traveling in the least perfect conditions? I think not. I wonder if they will refund the $10 fee if the service fails on your trip? This may be a $billion industry, but AT&T is not the company to lead the way. I will be waiting for Tom Tom.
  • Reply 6 of 128
    patspats Posts: 112member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by razorpit View Post

Does anyone know if the Tom Tom cradle has a line out jack for letting the iPhone play music through the car stereo?

It has line out according to the demo and handsfree phone. I waiting to see the price.
  • Reply 7 of 128
    kasperkasper Posts: 941member, administrator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by razorpit View Post

They said it will play music through the car stereo but did not explain by which method.

K
  • Reply 8 of 128
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Just wait until TomTom pricing is available, then we can decide what makes more sense.
  • Reply 9 of 128
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pats View Post

It has line out according to the demo and handsfree phone. I waiting to see the price.

The TomTom app/crade look slick & functional. I've seen a few deals on the Garmin Nuvi 360 (a very nice unit which I used to own before it was stolen out of my brilliantly unlocked car), am waiting to see the pricing on the TomTom solution.

I have the feeling TomTom is going to be *pricey* and that I'll end up buying another Garmin standalone.
  • Reply 10 of 128
    Yay go sprint Navigation comes free with the palm pre and the monthly bill for Sprint is cheaper. (and better coverage) **** AT&T ripping me off man wtf.... I am going to cancel my plan this shit pisses me off.

EDIT: Watch the language please
  • Reply 11 of 128
    noirdesirnoirdesir Posts: 1,027member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by satchmo View Post

Subscription model sucks...$9.95/mth = $120 yr.

Why not buy a standalone GPS?

Do city streets change so much that one needs to update maps every year?

Indeed, the Navigon software costs you ?75 (covering all of Europe), once. Sure, they will sell you updated maps, probably once per year, but you don't have to buy them. It is almost like paying high monthly rates and getting a phone for free (or very little).
  • Reply 12 of 128
    mac voyermac voyer Posts: 1,294member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Daniel0418 View Post

Yay go sprint Navigation comes free with the palm pre and the monthly bill for Sprint is cheaper. (and better coverage) **** AT&T ripping me off man wtf.... I am going to cancel my plan this shit pisses me off.

Sprint's nav is free because Sprint is desperate and barely alive. I had Sprint nav when it was $10 a month. Both Sprint and Palm are on their last, desperate gasp. They are not competing with Apple and AT&T. They are competing with the grim reaper.
  • Reply 13 of 128
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member
    I own a "non-smart" phone and get GPS free with my data plan on Verizon. My wife and I get all messaging, data, email and GPS for less than the cost of an iPhone and non-iPhone with AT&T. If it were two iPhones the cost would be impossible.

That said, Sprint does have pretty good pricing and good coverage where I live. If they can keep turning it around, they might get a look in a year or so from me when I have a choice to renew contract or not. Though I suspect the Pre, new Blackberry and some nice updated LG's will be out by then and hopefully the pricing pressures and plans will bring some benefit. The friends and family bit has really lowered our minutes almost to the point where we can drop down a tier.
  • Reply 14 of 128
    If this is going to be the trend (monthly subscription) for the GPS Apps in the App Store, I wouldn't bother. I would totally get a more expensive GPS app (but at least it is a one time payment).

I would just hope Tomtom does it well with the pricing, monthly subscription on traffic updates (optional), and a one time payment (even if it is $69.99).

Even if I only subscribe for the month I'll use it, it defeats the purpose of having an always-ready for me to use GPS when I'm looking for a friend's house in my city (and not when I go out of town).

At the moment, I'll be happy with the Google maps until someone comes up with a better pricing model.
  • Reply 15 of 128
    Seriusly..These people are thieves

Navigon is the leader in Europe! And the App is amazing

Just got it for $94.99.

http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/M...320279293&mt=8
  • Reply 16 of 128
    foo2foo2 Posts: 1,077member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mac Voyer View Post

I wonder if they will refund the $10 fee if the service fails on your trip?

Yeah, sure, you can have your $10 back.

/sarcasm
  • Reply 17 of 128
    galleygalley Posts: 971member
    If the app itself is free, and I could just pay for one month's service when I travel, then that is a good deal. If I'm locked into a monthly subscription, then forget it!
  • Reply 18 of 128
    The only GPS I will even consider buying is one without a subscription attached to it. Plain and simple.
  • Reply 19 of 128
    bigmc6000bigmc6000 Posts: 767member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ejayboy View Post

If this is going to be the trend (monthly subscription) for the GPS Apps in the App Store, I wouldn't bother. I would totally get a more expensive GPS app (but at least it is a one time payment).

I would just hope Tomtom does it well with the pricing, monthly subscription on traffic updates (optional), and a one time payment (even if it is $69.99).

Even if I only subscribe for the month I'll use it, it defeats the purpose of having an always-ready for me to use GPS when I'm looking for a friend's house in my city (and not when I go out of town).

At the moment, I'll be happy with the Google maps until someone comes up with a better pricing model.

Ya know what's interesting is that TomTom could literally OWN the market if they made the software cheap (< $50). But I've got a hunch they aren't going to do that...

I'm sure they'll still have optional updates for $30ish a year (or more) because the app will never expire so even if you get a new iPhone you'll be able to keep your GPS forever.

EDIT: On a side note does anyone think an independent programmer could make a Google Maps based turn by turn and release it on the app store for. idk, $10? I'd be willing to pay $10 for something that used turn by turn but still relied on the cell towers but a monthly subscription - yeah, I'm out...
  • Reply 20 of 128
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bigmc6000 View Post

Ya know what's interesting is that TomTom could literally OWN the market if they made the software cheap (< $50). But I've got a hunch they aren't going to do that...

I'm sure they'll still have optional updates for $30ish a year (or more) because the app will never expire so even if you get a new iPhone you'll be able to keep your GPS forever.

EDIT: On a side note does anyone think an independent programmer could make a Google Maps based turn by turn and release it on the app store for. idk, $10? I'd be willing to pay $10 for something that used turn by turn but still relied on the cell towers but a monthly subscription - yeah, I'm out...

TomTom can make the software cheap, but I think they still rely on GPS hardware for the positioning (I could be wrong). I was under the impression that their dash-mount had a GPS unit in it, and they connect to the iPhone for display and maps.