Video tour surfaces for Mac OS X Snow Leopard

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 75
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmenadue View Post

Move along.

Your first post on this forum is to inform us that the article, and by extension the thread, are not worth bothering with? Do you not see the irony in that?

Welcome to the forum.
  • Reply 62 of 75
    ckh1272ckh1272 Posts: 107member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmenadue View Post

Move along.

Wow!! You're first post and it couldn't sound any more trollish. If you are not interested in the article, why post?
  • Reply 63 of 75
    wplj42wplj42 Posts: 439member
    I think the point to "Move along" is that some of you people are simply jibber-jabbering. Does it really matter how QT is spelled and/or pronounced? I think we all get the point. The guy isn't from Minnesota. So what! He did a poor job with audio levels. I don't know how to make a video and post it to the web, but I do know how to work with sound. I did notice an error with regard to System Preferences, Universal Access, and VoiceOver. What he showed is nothing new. As far as I can tell, SL is for sure worth 29 bucks, but then I would need to add more RAM to my iMac. I still don't see the need. Leopard does everything I want. All I would benefit from is some cute little tricks. I agree that it is a better Leopard ... nothing more.
  • Reply 64 of 75
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Most of those are true, but language doesn?t have to be linear in usage. I can?t imaging people saying Mac OS XI (Ex,Eye). I can?t even imagine Apple spelling it that way. Mac OS 11 seems more reasonable. Same goes for the next version of QuickTime, though I?d guess that it won?t come until Mac OS X gets the numerical bump.

I remember reading several years ago that "Mac OS X" was taken on as the brand (rather than significant updates to the OS taking on higher number designations to signify advancements/refinements as the Classic OS did) partly because the name "OS 11" was already registered by a different company. Presumably, the legal battle to wrestle the name from the other company was deemed not worth the effort. Apple was, in effect, forced to stick with the name "Mac OS X" until the next generation OS came along or they adopted a new naming convention. Don't hold me to that too strictly. It's only a vague recollection and I can't remember where I read it exactly (though I'm pretty sure it was on an Apple/Mac rumor board).

In any event, Roman numerals are pronounced as the numbers they represent, not the letters they appear as. People, I imagine for thousands of years, have chosen to ignore, and continue to ignore, that for myriad reasons. I dunno. Whatever.

But whenever Apple does decide to rebrand its OS, dropping the Roman numeral would probably remove the confusion/contention about what to call it. The Code Names (e.g., Tiger, Leopard, Snow Leopard, etc.) are easy enough (for those who care at all). And people seem to understand version numbers readily enough. Why can't Apple simply go by the OS code names as the major OS brand names?
  • Reply 65 of 75
    <petpeeve>you emptied the trash right after putting that screen shot in it. dude, that's not how to use the trash. that would be like after using a tissue or when done with your piece of gum, walking outside to a dumpster (or.. driving to the landfill!). emptying trash is a disk reclaiming operation, and as long as you only do it infrequently, you gain an effective undelete feature. grr!</petpeeve> thx for the videos, maannn

my real point: the finder obvious squirrels away new metadata about the original location of trashed items, does it also have new metadata describing *when* an item was trashed. i often want to sort my trash can by date trashed, eg. with the things i threw out most recently at the top of the list. can anyone tell me if there's evidence that the finder adds this metadata too?

(also, speaking to my pet-peeve a little, specifically the effectiveness of the trash as an undelete tool, it would also make it possible to implement partial trash emptying, either by the finder itself or a simple 3rd party app. eg. a slider for choosing to empty all vs. all but the most recent X days or weeks, or vs. empty the X oldest gigabytes)
  • Reply 66 of 75
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jeremy Brown View Post

I just checked my finder in Leopard, and I can only play video in the preview window of column view [aka the best view] and in cover flow. In the icon and list view I cannot.

Looks like the new feature then is being able to play videos in icon view, which makes sense seeing as you can now enlarge the icons to 512×512 as opposed to the current 128×128.

Aha! Thanks for clarifying that. Although it leaves me to wonder why Apple would enable icon preview in column view and not icon view, in Leopard.

Possibly it has something to do with getting the icons to scale smoothly?
  • Reply 67 of 75
    cubertcubert Posts: 728member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post

I really don't know what Apple is thinking with the tasteless purple smear desktop and that hideously tacky Quicktime X icon. The conventional wisdom among pretty much *all* my artist friends (and me included), that one would have to be blind or stoned to think they are attractive in any way.

When Leopard came out the first question I was asked by almost every person I installed it for was "how do I get rid of that desktop picture for good?"

The Snow Leopard Server default desktop photo looks better.

http://www.flickr.com/search/?q=snow...t=photos&adv=1
  • Reply 68 of 75
    philipmphilipm Posts: 240member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DanaCameron View Post

I remember reading several years ago that "Mac OS X" was taken on as the brand (rather than significant updates to the OS taking on higher number designations to signify advancements/refinements as the Classic OS did) partly because the name "OS 11" was already registered by a different company. Presumably, the legal battle to wrestle the name from the other company was deemed not worth the effort. Apple was, in effect, forced to stick with the name "Mac OS X" until the next generation OS came along or they adopted a new naming convention. Don't hold me to that too strictly. It's only a vague recollection and I can't remember where I read it exactly (though I'm pretty sure it was on an Apple/Mac rumor board).

In any event, Roman numerals are pronounced as the numbers they represent, not the letters they appear as. People, I imagine for thousands of years, have chosen to ignore, and continue to ignore, that for myriad reasons. I dunno. Whatever.

But whenever Apple does decide to rebrand its OS, dropping the Roman numeral would probably remove the confusion/contention about what to call it. The Code Names (e.g., Tiger, Leopard, Snow Leopard, etc.) are easy enough (for those who care at all). And people seem to understand version numbers readily enough. Why can't Apple simply go by the OS code names as the major OS brand names?

The other difficulty with Mac OS 11 is that it could be read as Mac OS II, now we have the Roman numeral habit, i.e., Mac OS 2 in Arabic numerals.

If you are into royalty the correct pronunciation is Mac OS the tenth.

This numbering scheme is a bit bogus anyway because Mac OS X (10.0) was a completely new OS if cobbled together out of parts of existing systems (NeXTstep, bits of various free UNIX clones, Mac OS 9). So maybe it would not be that crazy to call the next really different version 2.0.
  • Reply 69 of 75
    -nova--nova- Posts: 64member
    Well, the YouTube videos have been removed (copyright issues with Apple.)
  • Reply 70 of 75
    jonnyboyjonnyboy Posts: 525member
    nice. but uninspiring \
  • Reply 71 of 75
    s.metcalfs.metcalf Posts: 972member
    As opposed to Steve, who tells us what he thinks we like...and gets away with it!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTripper View Post

Because we don't like Phil, he tells us what we think we like and he thinks he gets away with it.

• Reply 72 of 75
    Where did the guy get the new purple QuickTime X icon from? I thought this build (10A380) still shows the old blue icon for QuickTime X.
  • Reply 73 of 75
    We shouldn't forget that from the beginning Apple said this wasn't going to be a feature-heavy release. It's hard to show people through video the internal workings that are making SL a lot better (Grand Central, OpenCL, etc.).
  • Reply 74 of 75
    slr2009slr2009 Posts: 14member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DanaCameron View Post

How do you think the UI should be updated?

I think a lot of people were hoping that they would see the rumored marble interface in Snow Leopard, I was hoping to see it as well.

Some people were hoping that there would be some new feature's (including myself), not just some newer icon's or an improved expose.

One idea that I came up with has to do with the folder's, as it is now, there's no way to see what's in the folder's without opening it. navigating a larger folder library is tedious because you don't know what's in it.

My idea has to do with quick look. when you hit the quick look button on a folder, the folder enlarges but what's the point of seeing a larger folder?

it would be awesome if when you hit the quick look button on a folder you can see the contents of that folder.

it would then be cool if you could browse and select that file right from quicklook without ever opening that folder. similar to the way the new stack's work

Quicktime 10s new interface looks nice but preview needs a UI update badly. The unattractive large grey bar at the top needs to be replaced with a thinner, black glossy see-through interface. Apple Mail need's an interface change as well.

Don't get me wrong, I can't wait for the release of Snow Leopard. I'll be upgrading my computer as soon as it's released. I'm basically stating what would improve an already great OS.
  • Reply 75 of 75
    webraiderwebraider Posts: 163member
    That Apple's developer releases didn't have the Hard Drives mounted on the desktop by default. This doesn't meant that the final version won't have it enabled by default. In some ways.. it's kind of confusing/redundant, but it's still convenient for spring loaded folders etc.. Currently if I want to drag a file from the desktop, I have to press the space bar when i hover over the finder Icon. I hope Apple fixes this with Snow Leopard.

When Apple released leopard for the first time, all of their demos showed the desktop with No hard Drive icons so It does make you wander if they are headed that route potentially with all mountable media. Again.. the final release will determine what they are really trying to do. in some ways it makes sense.. "If you want to find something on your computer.. go to 'finder'".