AT&T Navigator turn-by-turn GPS solution hits the App Store

Comments

• Reply 41 of 128
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by roehlstation View Post

If any other turn-by-turn app that comes out also doesn't have a fee.

Well then I'll stick with my present solution. Subscription model is a deal breaker. For months I don't need navigation, then suddenly I do three days in a row. I don't want to fiddle with subscription models each time I need directions. Let me pay a price and be done with. I'll pay for new maps but that's it.
  • Reply 42 of 128
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lepton View Post

This app breaks the rule, stated very clearly by Apple, that free apps remain free. I'm positive no one else will be allowed to offer a free app that uses in-app purchase. AT&T should not either.

This app must cost $0.99 or it is a rule-breaker.

Not the case: they are not selling updates to the app, they are offering a connection to a proprietary service...XM Sirius does the same thing.
  • Reply 43 of 128
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The application itself (AppStore) is free, but requires a $9.95 monthly service subscription.

As a new iPhone user, I will patiently wait for the TomTom app later this summer, AT&T is getting/got enough of my money.

No pricing yet for the TomTom app, but I'll gladly pay whatever as long as it's reasonable:

http://iphone.tomtom.com

Since TomTom is a one-time payment, I'd rather pay $100-200 one time for life and then pay $40-80 every 2 years for map updates (no need to update yearly), than pay AT&T $9.95 a month for life - a complete scam and rip-off. GO TOMTOM!!!

:later.
  • Reply 44 of 128
    jglavinjglavin Posts: 93member
    The turn by turn (minus voice) app I bought from the app store back in February for $40 (US Maps) still works fine for me, thanks.
  • Reply 45 of 128
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

You are not getting it for "free". You are paying for it. The more important question is do you have any other option for a GPS service other than Verizon's?

It is included in the bundle of services I buy from Verizon. The cost of the bundle which happens to include email, Vcast, data and GPS. The AT&T plan for the iPhone is $30 per phone and doesn't include this app. These features add $40 a month to my bill for TWO phones which means that for $20 a month I get all the services including the GPS bundled.

Scream about whatever label you want. At $10 less per month for more services, I'm not going to complain.

I haven't called to confirm but as of today, these are the apps available under Maps & Location Services. If you want more info go to the site yourself.

* AAA Mobile

* Rand McNally Street

Finder

* Location Management

* Rand McNally Traffic\t

* Super Pages

* Super Pages 2.0

* MapQuest Mobile

* MyCast Weather

* MyCast 5 Weather

* Weather Bug

* Weather Channel

* Weather Scout

* AccuWeather.com Premium

* Weather News

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTel View Post

Do all these turn-by-turn apps have all the features that normal GPS devices have (I see the AT&T one does have some)? That is major sites, gas stations, restaurant locator, etc?

How's the turn-by-turn voice? It would be neat to choose between mulitple voices (male/female) and languages.

I wouldn't pay the $9.95 monthly fee. If it was $2.95 then sure.

Mine has all that and more. It has speech recognition, works in multiple languages, can tell me the weather at my destination, shows what local theaters are playing the movie I want to see and at what time, it gives me the closest gas stations and their fuel prices. I use it most for movies, finding new places when I haven't been there, and traffic information when I go down to the coast.

I'm sure the AT&T app will do the same. The iPhone is a great solution but I'm betting that the cell provider wars in this smart/dumb phone gray area and bundling of services is really going to bring about some interesting options. There isn't a person I can think of who could resist the iPhone if the $30 data plan included messaging and GPS. Instead they are expensive add-ons while most feature phone plans include one or both of them.
  • Reply 46 of 128
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aplnub View Post

You saw the power supply.

Wouldn't the head phone jack still work? Just plug a cable in to the the iPhone and the car; better yet possibly a bluetooth option to a receiver at the line in for the car . . . off to a google search.
  • Reply 47 of 128
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    Quote:

AT&T isn't desperately trying to do anything it can to stop hemorrhaging nearly a million customers each quarter.

Make that a million and one (I checked out from Sprint on Friday).

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mesomorphicman View Post

Since TomTom is a one-time payment...

I must've missed that? Where did you see that the TomTom turn-by-turn app is going to be a one-time payment?
  • Reply 48 of 128
    johnl97johnl97 Posts: 4member
    Garmin has a software but too bad it doesn't list the iPhone as compatible.

http://www8.garmin.com/mobile/smartp...utmk=225514906
  • Reply 49 of 128
    samabsamab Posts: 1,953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by paxman View Post

Well then I'll stick with my present solution. Subscription model is a deal breaker. For months I don't need navigation, then suddenly I do three days in a row. I don't want to fiddle with subscription models each time I need directions. Let me pay a price and be done with. I'll pay for new maps but that's it.

It's not contract subscription ---- you can cancel it at any time.

Have a long weekend --- pay $3 a day to get directions to the bed and breakfast. March break or summer vacation --- pay $10 for the month.

Realistically, you probably only needs 2 months and 3 one day subscription for the whole year --- $29 a year.
  • Reply 50 of 128
    ivan.rnn01ivan.rnn01 Posts: 1,822member
    Too late, too retarded.

It might have had a limited appeal, while nobody was offering turn-by-turn solutions for iPhone. At the time many carriers sold off-board navigation services like what AT&T tries to launch now. With only limited success.

If TomTom rolls out on-board navigation system with no subscription, AT&T's initiative will be a failure.
  • Reply 51 of 128
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Google maps does the job for me. Not as good and efficient as turn by turn but it does the job. I just hope they add things like alternative shortest and fastest route feature instead of one fits all.
  • Reply 52 of 128
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Do you get GPS service if you don't pay for the bundle? What if you don't want Verizon's service what are your other options? iPhone users don't have to pay anything extra for GPS services, we have a choice of which we want to use.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by trumptman View Post

It is included in the bundle of services I buy from Verizon. The cost of the bundle which happens to include email, Vcast, data and GPS. The AT&T plan for the iPhone is $30 per phone and doesn't include this app. These features add $40 a month to my bill for TWO phones which means that for $20 a month I get all the services including the GPS bundled.

• Reply 53 of 128
    al_bundyal_bundy Posts: 1,525member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bigmc6000 View Post

Ya know what's interesting is that TomTom could literally OWN the market if they made the software cheap (< $50). But I've got a hunch they aren't going to do that...

I'm sure they'll still have optional updates for $30ish a year (or more) because the app will never expire so even if you get a new iPhone you'll be able to keep your GPS forever.

EDIT: On a side note does anyone think an independent programmer could make a Google Maps based turn by turn and release it on the app store for. idk, $10? I'd be willing to pay $10 for something that used turn by turn but still relied on the cell towers but a monthly subscription - yeah, I'm out...

i think most of the processing for this happens "in the cloud" and not on the device. even if you have the map on the device it's just for faster rendering, and doesn't mean that the app processes everything inside the iPhone
  • Reply 54 of 128
    samabsamab Posts: 1,953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ivan.rnn01 View Post

Too late, too retarded.

It might have had a limited appeal, while nobody was offering turn-by-turn solutions for iPhone. At the time many carriers sold off-board navigation services like what AT&T tries to launch now. With only limited success.

If TomTom rolls out on-board navigation system with no subscription, AT&T's initiative will be a failure.

The full priced $100+ nav app is the one that has limited appeal. Verizon had their largest downloads for VZ Navigator during the long weekends in the summer. This is how "normal" people uses TBT solutions --- a couple of months in the summer and a few long weekends --- about $30 a year.

Everybody charges a subcription for live traffic. And the companies that charge a "lifetime" subscription for live traffic for $50-100 --- can you really trust them? Like how navigon announced that they are leaving the US PND market.
  • Reply 55 of 128
    Anyone else having issues? I've been trying to download the AT&T Navigator App for about 90 mins, both from my iPhone and my Mac, and keep getting unknown error messages. I prefer to think this is another AT&T screw up, but maybe it's an App Store issue? APPLE: Please get the iPhone on Verizon or another carrier. As much as I love the iPhone, I'm gonna dump it if AT&T can't get their s**t together. Lost calls, no signal, no tethering, poor customer service ... please give us some other options!
  • Reply 56 of 128
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ivan.rnn01 View Post

Too late, too retarded.

Is it really too late? They're ahead of TomTom.
  • Reply 57 of 128
    vrkiranvrkiran Posts: 110member
    Which idiot buys a $9.99/mon service for GPS? You can get a very nice GPS for $80 these days. These idiots don't want to sell the service, they just want to show a PPT to thier bosses that they completed one more project.
  • Reply 58 of 128
    It will probably break your iPhone and then Apple will make you pay to fix it. This app will be like all the others - useless. How many people actually use apps they download after 1 month again?

Typical Crapple brainwashing.
  • Reply 59 of 128
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member
    Quote:

Do you get GPS service if you don't pay for the bundle? What if you don't want Verizon's service what are your other options? iPhone users don't have to pay anything extra for GPS services, we have a choice of which we want to use.

Go to the website and look. The answers to all your questions are there.

Short answers.

No GPS app if you the phone doesn't include one and you don't subscribe to one.

The other options were listed.

Yes you can subscribe to it separately and yes you can get all the other features without it.
  • Reply 60 of 128
    mac voyermac voyer Posts: 1,294member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mblewitt View Post

Anyone else having issues? I've been trying to download the AT&T Navigator App for about 90 mins, both from my iPhone and my Mac, and keep getting unknown error messages. I prefer to think this is another AT&T screw up, but maybe it's an App Store issue? APPLE: Please get the iPhone on Verizon or another carrier. As much as I love the iPhone, I'm gonna dump it if AT&T can't get their s**t together. Lost calls, no signal, no tethering, poor customer service ... please give us some other options!

And still, you are trying to download this app?