Any software to record phone calls on iPhone?

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Hi, I'm planning on getting the new 3GS but cannot find any information on being able to record phone calls with this phone. Is there a software out there that can make the iPhone record phone calls? Every other cell phone out there now can do it, not sure why iPhone cannot. This feature would be useful for conference calls, etc.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by johnl97 View Post

Hi, I'm planning on getting the new 3GS but cannot find any information on being able to record phone calls with this phone. Is there a software out there that can make the iPhone record phone calls? Every other cell phone out there now can do it, not sure why iPhone cannot. This feature would be useful for conference calls, etc.

The illegality in certain states would probably lead Apple to not publish such an App. So at least officially I'd guess there isn't an app for that. Of course you could hold it against a tape recorder on speaker phone.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    Indeed! In order to record a phone call, you must either:

a) Have a warrant.

b) Have the consent of *both* parties.

c) Be an overbearing government with complete disregard for the civil liberties of your citizens.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    Then why does other phones, such as the Treo 680 and the Nokia e71 and others have this feature? Most states only need one person's consent (you) and it's up to the user to legally record it they want or have a need, not Apple to decide.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    nomad421nomad421 Posts: 16member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by johnl97 View Post

Then why does other phones, such as the Treo 680 and the Nokia e71 and others have this feature? Most states only need one person's consent (you) and it's up to the user to legally record it they want or have a need, not Apple to decide.

Sorry, you are right. I am just thinking about the law in my home state. The following states require the consent of both parties:

California, Connecticut, Florida, Illinois, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Montana, Nevada, New Hampshire, Pennsylvania and Washington ( State ).

Given this information, and Apple's penchant for avoiding controversial Apps, i wouldn't expect to find this in the app store. However, a quick Google search has suggested there are a few options for jailbroken phones ... though that doesn't help us 3GS owners.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    mac voyermac voyer Posts: 1,294member
    I'm sure it is a legality issue. I am old enough to remember when that was a real problem in this country. Such recordings would not be admissible in court. There was a real outcry against being recorded without the knowledge of both parties. That is why companies started having every representative tell customers up front that the call may be recorded for quality assurance, or some such nonsense. You will never see such an app on a first tier, American company's product such as the iPhone. Neither Nokia nor Palm count as first tier, American companies.