is the 17 inch MBP too big?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Is the 17 inch MBP too big? I was thinking about getting one to replace a 15 inch and wonder if the 17 inch is out of the mainstream, it seems most buy the 13 inch. What do you think of the 17 inch, too big for a portable?

I am not a frequent travel and use my notebook at home wirelessly.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 54
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by timr100 View Post

Is the 17 inch MBP too big? I was thinking about getting one to replace a 15 inch and wonder if the 17 inch is out of the mainstream, it seems most buy the 13 inch. What do you think of the 17 inch, too big for a portable?

It's certainly larger than the typical laptop today but Apple makes them so thin that their 17" doesn't feel like the heavy burden that others do. I'd say go to an Apple store and see if you can handle the size. Since you're not traveling much the 17" could be the right model as it has a higher resolution screen and the longest battery life in the group.

He'll I'd buy one if I didn't need to travel that much.
  • Reply 2 of 54
    maratusmaratus Posts: 38member
    It's pretty hard for me to tell whether it's a 17" or 15" uMBP at a glimpse.

They're are very close in weight and size. Both are portable enough and still both are heavy compared to subnotebooks (or <1.2kg ultraportables)

I'd newer say that 15" will provide any noticeable advantage in weight or size.

• Reply 3 of 54
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    That's a subjective question and largely depends on what you plan to do. I know a lot of people who carry around 17" machines that are much heavier than the MBP. On the other hand, there are those like me who consider the 15" to be too big let alone the 17.
  • Reply 4 of 54
    bnoyhtuawbbnoyhtuawb Posts: 456member
    I have had 12", 15" and 17" Macbooks/Powerbooks, these days I always go for 17"!
  • Reply 5 of 54
    s.metcalfs.metcalf Posts: 972member
    Ditto. Once you've had a 17" the 15" looks small, especially its limited resolution. If you're going to be using your laptop as your only computer I'd say the 17" is absolutely necessary. If you have a desktop you use and you just want a portable too, maybe go the 13". The 13" definitely has a cuteness factor to it, while the 17" looks like a beast! The 15" is kind of a compromise on both accounts imnsho.

Pulling a 17" out at a cafe kind of makes you look like a nerd, but a Mac nerd which isn't so bad...

Quote:
    Originally Posted by BNOYHTUAWB View Post

I have had 12", 15" and 17" Macbooks/Powerbooks, these days I always go for 17"!

• Reply 6 of 54
    ajpriceajprice Posts: 320member
    A 17" laptop isn't that out of the ordinary. MBP's are quite thin, and lighter than most. If you want to see a big heavy portable, here's a Dell

http://www.dell.com/content/products...en&s=dfh&cs=22
  • Reply 7 of 54
    bnoyhtuawbbnoyhtuawb Posts: 456member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by s.metcalf View Post

Pulling a 17" out at a cafe kind of makes you look like a nerd, but a Mac nerd which isn't so bad...

Pulling out an Air will make you the Übernerd except if you carry it in a manila envelope ROFL
  • Reply 8 of 54
    wplj42wplj42 Posts: 439member
    Quote:

Pulling out an Air will make you the Übernerd except if you carry it in a manila envelope ROFL

When it comes to a café computer, I would drop the bucks for a dirt cheap netbook. Everyone and his brother has one now, oh, except Apple. Übernerd! As for a notebook for home use, I would go with the 13" @ $1499 unless you must have the better graphics. Use the extra dough for an external monitor.
  • Reply 9 of 54
    winterwinter Posts: 1,238member
    The 15" is probably ideal for your situation though the 17" is not big and it's only 6.6 pounds. As has been mentioned before, I think the only thing that might make people get the 17" over the 15" is the matte screen option.
  • Reply 10 of 54
    tenshitenshi Posts: 11member
    I'm in the same boat. I occassionally like using my laptop in the lounge, would the 17" sit nicely in my lap?

For me, I have to decide is it worth spending $500 NZD for the bigger, anti-glare screen.
  • Reply 11 of 54
    talon8472talon8472 Posts: 149member
    Quote:

This really depends on how you are comfortable with situating your workflow. For instance, I currently have a 15" MBP and an external 22" Acer DVI monitor. When I'm at home, I connect it up to the Acer and when on the go, the 15" screen size will do. I find that 13.3" is a little small to be doing a lot of computing on, and 17" would probable not be worth the size/weight disadvantage vs the 15" size/weight for myself. My next computer purchase though may vary well be a 17", but that is a few years down the road for myself. I hope that helps, 15" + big external for dual screen = awesome.

Quote:

• Reply 12 of 54
    timr100timr100 Posts: 20member
    I will not connect it to an external monitor. The size of the notebook is the size of the screen that I will use as my main computer, so it will be a 13, 15, or 17 inch screen no external monitor.
  • Reply 13 of 54
    hudson1hudson1 Posts: 800member
    Quote:

I will not connect it to an external monitor. The size of the notebook is the size of the screen that I will use as my main computer, so it will be a 13, 15, or 17 inch screen no external monitor.

No one can give a credible answer to your question without knowing the essential applications that you plan to use. For e-mail and web browsing, there's no need for a 17" screen. If you're doing complicated Photoshop work then you have an entirely different need and will want the large screen.
  • Reply 14 of 54
    timr100timr100 Posts: 20member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hudson1 View Post

No one can give a credible answer to your question without knowing the essential applications that you plan to use. For e-mail and web browsing, there's no need for a 17" screen. If you're doing complicated Photoshop work then you have an entirely different need and will want the large screen.

just basic computing, web, email, itunes, word.

I like the high res screen, longer battery life, and the 17 has the best speakers. Is it worth $800 more than the low end 15 that will be enough power to meet my needs?
  • Reply 15 of 54
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    If your eyesight can handle the high resolution of the 17" MacBook Pro, get that. It's difficult to envisage anyone being disappointed with that machine. Added bonus is that you can get the non-glossy screen (glossy may look good but the reflections can be very annoying (I've got a 15" MacBook Pro)).
  • Reply 16 of 54
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:

If you don't travel frequently the 17" will be the better notebook IMHO.

If you DO travel frequently the 17" might be a bit large. I have a 17" MBP and it is often too big to:
    • Run on a dinky airline tray in coach (better on some airlines and seats than others)

• Fit in hotel room safes

• Heavy to run from one terminal to another to catch a connector

• Use comfortably in bed/on your lap

On the other hand, the 17" has enough room to drive demos on it's own screen and enough screen real estate not to feel cramped without a monitor. Plus in the new line up, the 17" is the only one with expansion capability.

The 17" is overkill for your needs in 2009. On the other hand, perhaps not so much in 2012.
  • Reply 17 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vinea View Post

I have a 17" MBP and it is often too big to:

?

Use comfortably in bed/on your lap

?

Not too sure about this last one. I was fortunate enough to get to play with a 17" for a few days and didn't have much trouble using it on my lap.
  • Reply 18 of 54
    mac voyermac voyer Posts: 1,294member
    Quote:

No one would buy a $2000 desktop with a 17" monitor these days, they would say it was too small. No manufacturer would even offer such a package. But that is what you are considering. Why? Have you ever used a notebook as your only computer? It is an ergonomic nightmare. The neck strain, alone is reason enough not to do it. If your keyboard is at the right level, you will be looking down at the screen. If the screen is at the right level, you will be reaching up to the keyboard. You are going to have to attach something to it eventually. My advice is to buy an external display and use the computer in closed lid mode. Unhook the display when you want to travel. The amount of time you spend away from the desk and what you do with the system dictates what size monitor the computer should have. The exception would be if you only use your computer to check email and do less than two hours a day total web surfing and word processing. More than that, and you should have an external display. By the way, if your workload is that light, you should not be considering a 17" anyway unless your eyesight is poor and you need to run it at low res for larger type. Good luck with that.
  • Reply 19 of 54
    aizmovaizmov Posts: 989member
    17" is too big for me.

To me 13" is as big as a laptop should be, for me.
  • Reply 20 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mac Voyer View Post

No one would buy a $2000 desktop with a 17" monitor these days, they would say it was too small.

Don't think screen size. Think resolution. The 17" MacBook Pro has 1920 x 1200 resolution, giving a huge screen real-estate. The issue with the screen being 17" is that you need good eyesight to use such a high DPI monitor.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mac Voyer View Post

Have you ever used a notebook as your only computer? It is an ergonomic nightmare. The neck strain, alone is reason enough not to do it.

I've got a laptop with external keyboard, mouse and monitor. When at a desk, I use those, with the laptop's screen as a secondary monitor. When using the laptop on its own, I don't sit at a desk, so I don't suffer from any of the problems you're talking about. Use it lounging in bed or on my lap slouching on a sofa - no neck pain, no back pain, no problem.