Apple undersells, over-delivers on iPhone 3GS speed - report

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
In controlled JavaScript Web site renders, the iPhone 3GS is nearly three times as fast as the iPhone 3G and Palm Pre, and 5.5 times faster than the T-Mobile G1, according to a new study, which also reveals that the iPhone 3.0 software alone has a dramatic impact on the speed in which an iPhone 3G renders websites.

In releasing its new speed-centric update to the iPhone, Apple has boasted that the 3GS is twice as fast as its predecessor, but the company has remained mum on the handset?s actual specifications. Thanks to T-Mobile of the Netherlands, though, we know with certainty that the 3GS sports a 600MHz processor and 256MB of RAM ? this compared to the 400MHz processor and 128MB of RAM on the iPhone 3G.

Based on the report released Wednesday from Medialets, a smartphone-based advertising and analytics platform, the iPhone 3GS spec bump far exceeds Apple?s ?twice as fast? sales pitch in real-world tests.

Medialets?s test aimed for a fair way to compare each of the major smartphone platforms. Because they all run very different operating systems, to compare their ability to run applications would be a misnomer. However, all three platforms run browsers based on the open source WebKit standard. A MacBook running Safari was used in the test for a baseline comparison.

WebKit?s SunSpider JavaScript benchmark test was used to compare six different implementations of the WebKit browser. The test systems were:

Safari 4.0.1 on a 2.0 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo White MacBook.

Mobile Safari on the iPhone 3G with iPhone OS v2.2.1

Mobile Safari on the iPhone 3G with iPhone OS v3.0

Mobile Safari on the iPhone 3GS with iPhone OS v3.0

The ?Browser? app on the T-Mobile G1 with Android OS v1.5 (Cupcake)

The ?Web? app on the Palm Pre with Web OS v1.0.2

Of the mobile platforms, the iPhone 3GS came away the clear winner, besting the times of the iPhone 3G and Palm Pre by clear margins. The 3GS took an average of 16.5 seconds to render the page, while the Pre took 48.6 seconds, and the 3G running iPhone OS 3.0 took 48.7 seconds. The T-Mobile G1 took 91.1 seconds.

Another interesting outcome of the study: The iPhone 3.0 firmware has a drastic effect on the ability of the iPhone 3G to render JavaScript. The iPhone 3G running OS 2.2.1 took a whopping 132.3 seconds in the SunSpider test run by Medialets, losing clearly to even the T-Mobile G1.

A report released last week by Anandtech also showed the iPhone 3GS as the clear speed winner among all major smartphone platforms ? though the end results didn?t show as drastic of an advantage for Apple?s new phone as Medialets?s study. In loading a series of popular Web sites, the Anandtech test showed the iPhone 3GS to be an average of 21 percent faster than its new WebKit-based competitor, the Palm Pre.

Of course, Web browsing only makes up one facet of the mobile phone platform. As 1up.com?s Jeremy Parish demonstrated in his game-centric 3GS review, the new iPhone?s performance boost made a huge difference in the playability of Namco Bandai's ?i Love Katamari,? a game originally written for and released on the iPhone 3G. With the instant success of the iPhone 3GS in terms of sales, it is only inevitable that new games that take advantage of the speed of the new platform will begin to crop up.

For a video comparing the speed of an iPhone 3G with an iPhone 3G S when rendering websites, launching applications, and initializing games, see page 2 of AppleInsider's iPhone 3GS review.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 36
    foo2foo2 Posts: 1,077member
    Didn't I read somewhere that Anandtech had originally used erroneous math and that the correct speed advantage of the 3GS over the Pre was 22%, not 11%?

Anandtech updated its statistics in the second table, with a 21% advantage given to the 3GS over the Pre.

http://www.anandtech.com/gadgets/showdoc.aspx?i=3587

All this talk about iPhone killers: the 3GS is killer.
  • Reply 2 of 36
    3G S? I thought everyone got the memo that its now 3GS
  • Reply 3 of 36
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Well obviously. It's the iPhone, after all.
  • Reply 4 of 36
    italiankiditaliankid Posts: 279member
    why not use the Magic instead of the G1?

the speeds would be better!
  • Reply 5 of 36
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member

Considering..

• Reply 6 of 36
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member
    That's pretty cool they could speed up existing hardware through software updates. If there ever was proof that all our phones could be faster through better programming (no matter if it's windows mobile, iphone os, or android) it's this.
  • Reply 7 of 36
    hattighattig Posts: 860member
    A brilliant example of why software optimisation is still important in this day and age, when other companies just wait for hardware to improve. Apple did the double whammy.

Someone care to benchmark IE6,7 and 8 on the same MacBook hardware, to see if the iPhone 3GS can beat a desktop browser that 60%+ of the world uses?

I wonder how PocketIE does on Windows Mobile (6.0 and 6.5)? Someone, please test, if you have such a device to hand.
  • Reply 8 of 36
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Safari is really maturing nicely on both iPhone and Mac. Just goes to show you what good programming can do for you.

As a recently upgraded 3G owner I can say that 3.0 has extended the life of my iPhone. It should be good enough to keep me happy until next years release.

Dave
  • Reply 9 of 36
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hattig View Post

A brilliant example of why software optimisation is still important in this day and age, when other companies just wait for hardware to improve. Apple did the double whammy.

Someone care to benchmark IE6,7 and 8 on the same MacBook hardware, to see if the iPhone 3GS can beat a desktop browser that 60%+ of the world uses?

I wonder how PocketIE does on Windows Mobile (6.0 and 6.5)? Someone, please test, if you have such a device to hand.

I don't really know anyone who prefers pocket IE on windows mobile over opera mobile or even skyfire. The iphone might be better, but there's no point. Testing it against the newest opera 9.7 beta might be an interesting test though.
  • Reply 10 of 36
    harmswayharmsway Posts: 19member
    My new 3G Snappy is blazing fast. the 3G is faster than using the WiFi at my work.
  • Reply 11 of 36
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Foo2 View Post

Didn't I read somewhere that Anandtech had originally used erroneous math and that the correct speed advantage of the 3GS over the Pre was 22%, not 11%?

All this talk about iPhone killers: the 3GS is killer.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by davebroham View Post

3G S? I thought everyone got the memo that its now 3GS

This comparison appears to have been written before AnandTech fixed his results, the 3GS nomenclature was changed and before the Pre updated to 1.0.3.

Nice find.

Quote:

For WinMo they should use Opera, like Chronster stated, as well Iris, which is the first and only mobile browser to score a 100/100 on Acid3. IT?s obviously based on WebKit.
  • Reply 12 of 36
    legend79legend79 Posts: 32member
    To be fair; if anyone has worked with any of these artificial benchmarks before; you know as well as I do that these tests test nothing close to what webpages do. People do not write empty-loops and a lot of stupid shit like that; so I'm not sure how relevant this test really is. I guess it tells us that badly written useless code performs better on the 3GS than anything else; but last I checked; People used JS to actually do real work. Give us some REAL controlled tests already. Not synthetic!!!
  • Reply 13 of 36
    Safari on my 3G is Waaaaaay slower under 3.0. Tabbed view is almost unusable with 15+ secs before the page is closed after I hit the red x and then another 5+ secs for the previous page to fill the screen....and then i'm lucky if Safari doesn't crash when doing this.
  • Reply 14 of 36
    steviet02steviet02 Posts: 594member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vassillios View Post

Safari on my 3G is Waaaaaay slower under 3.0. Tabbed view is almost unusable with 15+ secs before the page is closed after I hit the red x and then another 5+ secs for the previous page to fill the screen....and then i'm lucky if Safari doesn't crash when doing this.

I would go into the Safari Settings and clear the cache, then reboot the phone.
  • Reply 15 of 36
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by legend79 View Post

To be fair; if anyone has worked with any of these artificial benchmarks before; you know as well as I do that these tests test nothing close to what webpages do. People do not write empty-loops and a lot of stupid shit like that; so I'm not sure how relevant this test really is. I guess it tells us that badly written useless code performs better on the 3GS than anything else; but last I checked; People used JS to actually do real work. Give us some REAL controlled tests already. Not synthetic!!!

I see you point and while these tests are synthetic they are measuring many aspects of JS that are current used today or most likely will be in the near future. SquirrelFish is definitely a worthy rewrite. My biggest problem with the test is that SunSpider was developed by the WebKit team.

As for real world testing, the AnandTech article that is referenced has plenty of such tests. You can also find plenty of other sites and videos detailing the speed variances. The only problem with those is that they only give you the real world results, but they don?t help developers see what areas need more work. SunSpider is quite ideal for that.
  • Reply 16 of 36
    ai46ai46 Posts: 56member
    Quote:

I don't have any of those products, but as an interesting aside, the iPhone 3GS gets 97/100 on the Acid3 test, while last I checked, IE6/7 gets about 21/100. While the iPhone gets a 97/100, many of the tests passed but didn't execute fast enough to not warrant a note about the speed.
  • Reply 17 of 36
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    It is always nice to get better than spec'd performance.

Sounds like the Pre is not the iPhone killer it was made-out to be. With battery problems, dinky keyboard, and less than iPhone performance it hasn't blown away the iPhone. It at least looks nice and may give Apple some ideas on future improvements.
  • Reply 18 of 36
    iphone1982iphone1982 Posts: 109member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vassillios View Post

steviet02 is right about clearing all caches and rebooting the 3G works great.

I had the same problem you were and gave it a shot. 3.0 is much quicker in all areas on my 3G. Safari page load times are MUCH quicker, mail, loading apps. Very happy with the 3.0 update so far and haven't ran into any problems or bugs yet.
  • Reply 19 of 36
    dimmokdimmok Posts: 359member
    Dudes, does anybody know of places I can get some cash for my 1G Iphone. Looking to upgrade to 3GS.....

Other than Craiglist or Ebay.....

Cause its so much snappier.
  • Reply 20 of 36
    virgil-tb2virgil-tb2 Posts: 1,416member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iPhone1982 View Post

steviet02 is right about clearing all caches and rebooting the 3G works great.

I had the same problem you were and gave it a shot. 3.0 is much quicker in all areas on my 3G. Safari page load times are MUCH quicker, mail, loading apps. Very happy with the 3.0 update so far and haven't ran into any problems or bugs yet.

While it's true that Safari shouldn't behave like that and a reboot or a cache clear will probably fix it, I have noticed more than a few pauses and glitches on my 3G iPhone running the 3.0 update as opposed to my partner's 3Gs iPhone running the same software.

Every once in a while there is a terrific pause that makes you think the thing has died, the scariest of all is that four or five times so far it has failed to register the swipe to open the home screen for up to 30 seconds or so. It always eventually opens, but there's enough time to swipe madly four or five times and just enough time for smidge of panic to set in before it does.

The software is definitely optimised for 3Gs IMO, not 3G, but I'm sure a 3.0.1 update will fix it.