Already have Ubuntu via Boot Camp - can I still add Win7 RC? How?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Would prefer if I can add to existing Boot Camp setup rather than having to start over - took some tweaking to get Ubuntu to boot nicely with rEFIt, don't know if anything about the Win7 Boot Camp process means it has to be installed first, will it work with rEFIt or not etc. Thanks for any suggestions anyone can offer. Late 07 Aluminum iMac 24", 2.4GHz.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    taurontauron Posts: 911member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nickmini View Post

Would prefer if I can add to existing Boot Camp setup rather than having to start over - took some tweaking to get Ubuntu to boot nicely with rEFIt, don't know if anything about the Win7 Boot Camp process means it has to be installed first, will it work with rEFIt or not etc. Thanks for any suggestions anyone can offer. Late 07 Aluminum iMac 24", 2.4GHz.

Adding Win 7 is not possible at the moment since the registry is broken.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    nickmininickmini Posts: 74member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tauron View Post

Care to elaborate on that?
  • Reply 3 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tauron View Post

Huh? My Win7 runs like a charm today – as far as Windows ever does, of course... It's running in a (VMware) virtual machine, which is what I would advise Tauron if, for whatever reason, it can't be installed under BootCamp to run natively.

But if you don't, won't, or can't, Tauron, don't worry: you're not missing much!
  • Reply 4 of 7
    smaxsmax Posts: 361member
    Windows 7 runs just fine on a Mac, either in Boot Camp or under VMWare. There isn't an issue with the registry, Tauron's just a douchebag. Check his post history.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    wplj42wplj42 Posts: 439member
    Trust me, I don't belong here in the Genius Bar section. On the other hand, this is the best way to run Windows and Ubuntu that I am aware of: http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/downloadmirrors#wubi

It creates a dual-boot situation. You do need to install Windows first. After this is all done, you are given a dual-boot option before Windows starts in BootCamp. While Windows doesn't, Ubuntu works very well in Virtual Box. I can run Ubuntu on my iMac with Virtual Box and just one gig of memory. I set Ubuntu at 384 Megs and it works just fine. Getting the Guest Additions to work in Virtual Box took months to figure out, at least for me. I will be more than happy to pass along the text needed for installing the Guest Additions if you want.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    nickmininickmini Posts: 74member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by WPLJ42 View Post

Trust me, I don't belong here in the Genius Bar section. On the other hand, this is the best way to run Windows and Ubuntu that I am aware of: http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/downloadmirrors#wubi

It creates a dual-boot situation. You do need to install Windows first. After this is all done, you are given a dual-boot option before Windows starts in BootCamp. While Windows doesn't, Ubuntu works very well in Virtual Box. I can run Ubuntu on my iMac with Virtual Box and just one gig of memory. I set Ubuntu at 384 Megs and it works just fine. Getting the Guest Additions to work in Virtual Box took months to figure out, at least for me. I will be more than happy to pass along the text needed for installing the Guest Additions if you want.

OK, so the overall impression I'm getting (here and in other places around the interwebs) is that Win needs to be installed first - Ubuntu first won't work.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    wplj42wplj42 Posts: 439member
    If it is going to work the way you want, someone smarter than me will have to advise you. The Wubi installer is designed to run Ubuntu as a dual-boot for Windows. Sorry I can't give better advice. You can download Virtual Box 3.0 (just released June 30) from http://www.virtualbox.org/ I have not experienced any trouble with Ubuntu in Virtual Box. Again, I will be more than happy to give you the instructions to install the Guest Additions for Ubuntu in Virtual Box. Without them, you will not get a full screen over 800 x 600.