Proof-of-concept ports Leopard's icon stacks to iPhone (video)

Comments

• Reply 21 of 48
    doystindoystin Posts: 2member
    that is one app i'd buy in a heartbeat! it would be SO nice to group apps together rather than go through page.....after page.....after page.
  • Reply 22 of 48
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    This wants to make me jail break my phone. Very nice.
  • Reply 23 of 48
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Freaking brilliant.

Now all Apple has to do is deny the app, order the developer to cease and desist, and then release a similar implementation with the next OS update.

Done.
  • Reply 24 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JamesWvr View Post

Stacks for the iPhone/iPod touch isn't new. I don't know if it's still available, but it used to be available on Installer or Cydia (can't remember which one), but I suppose it may have been taken down. I had it installed for a while, but wasn't much of a fan of it because the fanning of the stack was a little awkward to use with the iPhone/iPod touch's user interface.

I thought the same thing when I read the title...it's nothing new...it's been out forever. it looks much smoother now and better implemented. I can't wait to jailbreak my 3GS so I can add stacks!
  • Reply 25 of 48
    lvidallvidal Posts: 158member
    I think iPhone's home screen should group applications in the same categories as in de App Store, that way you just click in a category and all apps keep well organized alphabetically . Also, the screen should be flipped up-and-down and you should assign up to 2 rows and 3 columns then you can have up to 6 screens (like Spaces), not a little for your favorites and not a lot to have a real mess. Plus, the possibility of putting any app at the home screen for easy access. We all know we at anytime need the Speedtest app but not all the time, so, that could be into the category, but if you constantly use TiltMeter well, you can put that in the home screen. Finally i also thisnk the bottom dock should scrollable to the sides up to 12 apps, that could be really helpful and a very sweet solution. For me those are good ideas. Don't you think?? \
  • Reply 26 of 48
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iVlad View Post

I hope Apple hires him

Because Apple didn't already develop this privately? (At the very latest, two years ago)

Love it.

"Apple should hiya dis guy, cuz he would show him whatz up!11"
  • Reply 27 of 48
    third-party apps...scrolling home screens...rearranging icons...copy&paste...video recording...tethering...these are ALL features the devs came up with waaaaaaay before apple. Let's hope apple keep imitating, maybe THEN we'll have things like SBSetting, Winterboard, Stacks, etc optimized and brought to you by apple...that'll be the day...one glorious day!
  • Reply 28 of 48
    icfireballicfireball Posts: 2,594member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hattig View Post

How about if these weren't launchable apps, but currently running apps?

I.e., a means to switch between running apps in iPhone OS 4, assuming it supported multitasking?

I'm not really suer I get your meaning.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by macnyc View Post

True, unless if when you touched the icon, you left your finger on it and let it slide to the app you wanted, then it's only one tap.

The stack doesn't expand until the icon is released, and quickly. That's because the tap-and-hold interface you're proposing is already being used to allow the user to rearrange icons.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MissionGrey View Post

Its not always about what is used frequently, I have my pages in categories, games, utilities, etc, so I am always going between pages. I have always thought they should have an up and down direction, up for frequently used, down for newest apps.

BTW

I have 7 pages.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by chadisawesome View Post

more than 2? I have 6 screens, and that's when I'm paying attention, I've ballooned to 8+ before. don't assume cause you only have 2 pages, other people must be in the same boat.

Don't assume I only have two (I although I do only have three). I too sort by category. Page 1 is core apps, page 2 is information apps, and page 3 is games.
  • Reply 29 of 48
    rayconraycon Posts: 33member
    I am certain that Apple will address this issue in iPhone OS 4.0, if not before. Currently, the GUI reminds me of the Mac OS before the advent of the HFS. (Yes, I remember that.) For any of those familiar with MaxMenus, a tap that displays the hierarchical file path would be one way to go, but why not have each screen scroll vertically? In this way, you could have 9 or 10 screens with each devoted to a different category (i.e., games, utilities, databases, communications, multimedia, etc.) and simply scroll up or down (elevator on the right side?) to see those that cannot fit.
  • Reply 30 of 48
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by icfireball View Post

While I do appreciate the good execution, I don't anticipate that this would actually be that useful. I mean, even with the stacks it's still two taps. With how it is now, if the app is on the second screen, it's still two taps. And I doubt anybody has three full screens of apps that they use really frequently.

I?m with you here. It?s certainly cool looking but I think a simple folder access would be more efficient and effective.

For instnace, when you access the folder the upper left icon can have a special icon and be named the previous screen/folder so you can exit out a folder at a time. This would allow 15 apps per page, with additional pages you can move through with a flick to the left. It would also allow for a hierarchal folder within folder design.

Regardless of how Apple does it, it will need to be done eventually, but I hope that using the iPhone to do it is not the only method. I think there needs to be a setup screen in iTunes so you can use the mouse/trackpad/keyboard to move multiple items around quickly and easily.
  • Reply 31 of 48
    virgil-tb2virgil-tb2 Posts: 1,416member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

One iPhone developer looking to expand the capabilities of the iPhone's home screen has demonstrated to AppleInsider a working proof-of-concept that implements the Stacks features of Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard into the iPhone's Springboard application....

Pretty neat, but not a good idea for a useable GUI. Too much duplication, too much opportunity for user confusion etc. Shows how powerful the iPhone really is though.
  • Reply 32 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Steven Troughton-Smith View Post

I can't stand having a Jailbroken device, but it's the only way I have of running Stack.

Odd, I can't stand having a non-jailbroken device. It feels so crippled in comparison it almost makes me claustrophobic.
  • Reply 33 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by absolutchrys View Post

third-party apps...scrolling home screens...rearranging icons...copy&paste...video recording...tethering...these are ALL features the devs came up with waaaaaaay before apple. Let's hope apple keep imitating, maybe THEN we'll have things like SBSetting, Winterboard, Stacks, etc optimized and brought to you by apple...that'll be the day...one glorious day!

Your absolutely wrong about this.

Not only because some of the things you mention are actually not being used by Apple but also because you assume (probably because you don't know much about Apple or software development in general), that Apple just came up with the GUI wholesale the day before they released it.

It's pretty much a lock that Apple tried and rejected all of these ideas and many more besides during the beginning of the design process years before anyone had even heard of the iPhone. It's also a fair bet that Apple regularly thinks up similar ideas and makes judgements about whether to include them into the next GUI revision or not.

Seriously, all this guy has done is take one Apple idea (the stack) and implement it in a different place (the iPhone). It's interesting and neat to see, but your suggestion that this is somehow the creative heart of things and that Apple is the one copying the ideas of others is total BS.
  • Reply 34 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by icfireball View Post

While I do appreciate the good execution, I don't anticipate that this would actually be that useful. I mean, even with the stacks it's still two taps. With how it is now, if the app is on the second screen, it's still two taps. And I doubt anybody has three full screens of apps that they use really frequently.

Agreed.

I don't understand what people are talking about when you hear the comment that it's so hard or cumbersome to switch back and forth between many pages of apps. Everyone says it but it makes no sense at all if you actually time how long it takes or investigate how many apps you have access to versus other methods or systems. Once you actually do that work, you can see quite objectively that what we have now is the most efficient method overall. That's why Apple chose it probably.

For example the average dock even on a fairly large screen mac only has room for 20 or 30 apps on the dock, the less frequently used apps have to be launched with Spotlight or you have to dig into the applications folder which takes a few clicks and a bit of time. On the iPhone, you have access to 16 apps right on the home screen, a single flick of your thumb and you have 16 more. If you take the thing out of your pocket right now and holding it in your hand flick with your thumb a few times, you can easily run through 8 or 10 screens (with 16 apps each!) in less than a couple of seconds. This is wicked fast access to dozens and dozens of apps with fewer clicks than it would take you on your desktop at home most of the time.

What the heck do people want?

It seems like a lot of whining to me, but then most of the complaints I hear about Apple are really.
  • Reply 35 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nagromme View Post

Very cool!

But I'd prefer simplicity. Instead of having some NEW interface, just allow us to make "folders" at will. One tap on the folder gets you 11 pages of icons inside it.

Or make it a nice round 12

Yes, but this iPhone goes to 11...
  • Reply 36 of 48
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post

Agreed.

I don't understand what people are talking about when you hear the comment that it's so hard or cumbersome to switch back and forth between many pages of apps.

It?s not that it?s hard or cumbersome, but that it?s not as efficient as it could be. I organize my apps into categories by pages since there is no other method i have for organization. Prior to backup/restore preserving the icon place it was a chore to have to reorganize your apps every time an update came out. It?s also not very efficient for my to go to page 8 just to find my games when I?d rather have a Folder titled games on my home screen that would allow me to click it once to enter and then choose the game I wish to play. Besides being faster to navigate it?s also more organized, which is what I think most people ideally want.
  • Reply 37 of 48
    ipeonipeon Posts: 1,122member
    Totally useless for the iPhone.
  • Reply 38 of 48
    Stacks for the iPhone are so pointless I could slap myself with my iPhone till it became part of my face.
  • Reply 39 of 48
    dimmokdimmok Posts: 359member
    Big deal....like this hasnt crossed the brilliant minds of the iPhone OS guys.....

Give me something I can use....

Im bummed out Michael Jackson died.
  • Reply 40 of 48
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DimMok View Post

Big deal....like this hasnt crossed the brilliant minds of the iPhone OS guys.....

Give me something I can use....

Im bummed out Michael Jackson died.

Yep, RIP Michael.