mac wont shut down?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hi I have a 2008 iMac. Recently I have been having trouble installing updates. When it goes to install them and restart it shuts everything down and goes to turn off and gets stuck on the screen. When I wait even an hour I have to just turn it off and not install the updates. Also when I start up word in office 2008 for mac it wont install a critical update for that either. Has someone gotten a hold of my computer and fried something and I need to take it in to the store? Or is it an easy fix. Any help is much apreciated. Thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    Stuck on what screen?
  • Reply 2 of 5
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

Stuck on what screen?

its stuck on the background screen so all I see is an empty desktop with my background. It wont shut down and I have tried to do the pull the cord trick, and also tried to delete a startup file that I was told to delete, so I am guessing that I will have to take it in the the genius bar or whatever that is at my local mall. It seems like apple is kind of horrible with customer service as you have to take your computer in to the store and no matter what you have to pay to get it fixed even if its new.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    Do you mean it's stuck on the Desktop or the (blue) startup screen?

What startup file did you delete, and why?

If your Mac is under warranty you will not have to pay for service. But I'm not sure I see the need for service at this point.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    taurontauron Posts: 911member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ltathe01 View Post

Hi I have a 2008 iMac. Recently I have been having trouble installing updates. When it goes to install them and restart it shuts everything down and goes to turn off and gets stuck on the screen. When I wait even an hour I have to just turn it off and not install the updates. Also when I start up word in office 2008 for mac it wont install a critical update for that either. Has someone gotten a hold of my computer and fried something and I need to take it in to the store? Or is it an easy fix. Any help is much apreciated. Thanks

Your problem is obvious and it has happened to me before: MS Office. It messes up all file ownership on the entire HD and leads to corrupted folders and crashing. You need to:

1. uninstall MS Office

2. uninstall any other microsoft software

3. run everything on disk utility

4. restart

5. install iworks

6. throw the MS office DVD on the trash just in case

7. reboot again

done.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tauron View Post

Your problem is obvious and it has happened to me before: MS Office. It messes up all file ownership on the entire HD and leads to corrupted folders and crashing. You need to:

1. uninstall MS Office

2. uninstall any other microsoft software

3. run everything on disk utility

4. restart

5. install iworks

6. throw the MS office DVD on the trash just in case

7. reboot again

done.

MS Office is great, the problem is that macs need to work with them. iWork was horrible for me, I go to UofL and with iWork you always have to switch files and sometimes it wouldnt read them. I think what needs to happen is if MAC comes out with something or knows of something being wrong with their computers then they need to get it fixed. I never had this problem on a windows computer, I would love to see what is so great about MACs but so far all they have done is make me want a PC.