where is a video recorder for the original iPhone 3G?

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Okay maybe I'm just cranky today, but I would really like to be able to record video (even crappy quality video) with my original iPhone 3g. I don't want to jailbreak my iPhone, but I'm getting more and more tempted since I'm going to have a kid soon and would like to be able to take short videos with my iPhone. I'll keep using my digital video camera for longer videos, but it would be nice to not have to carry around 2 or three pieces of electronics (especially since I'll soon be carrying a baby and all that goes with that as well) when one item could do the job most of the time.

Sorry for the rant.

Hey Apple where is my legit app store video recorder?!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    sudzsudz Posts: 10member
    Apple could make a fair dollar delivering a video recorder app to the millions of customers who are wishing for this enhancement. Understandably they have been busy with OS3.0 and the new hardware, etc...however least they could do is encourage a third party to bring something onto the app store.

It may be that they are hoping video capabilities will upsell a large quantity of users to the Iphone 3GS, my thoughts are the few that do upgrade right now will basically do so in the next month........while the majority of others will wait till the next generation of Iphone to become available.

So is Apple not releasing a video APP related to wishing people will be forced to upgrade, genuinely too busy with other challenges, or waiting for the early upgraders to make the transistion and then to deliver the software to market?

We all know video does work on the Iphone 3G, but most people wish to not have to alter their phones for the benefit of having it.

What are your thoughts on the video software (Official through the App Store) for the Iphone 3G??
  • Reply 2 of 12
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Video recording is a leading feature of the new model /thread
  • Reply 3 of 12
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sudz View Post

What are your thoughts on the video software (Official through the App Store) for the Iphone 3G??

It's not gonna happen.

Apple obviously already decided they aren't going to do that for the old hardware, or it would have already been enabled with OS3.0.

Perhaps they are trying to "force" people to upgrade, but I rather think it was more related to performance of the old CPU/graphics. Yes, we all know it was capable of doing video... but perhaps not up to the standards Apple wanted to see from it.

Now, I suppose there's always the chance they'll allow some 3rd party to supply an app, now that the API exists within 3.0.
  • Reply 4 of 12
    mac voyermac voyer Posts: 1,294member
    It is never going to happen. The original camera was not made for it. Sure, it can be done, but you would wear out your camera and blame Apple for the failure.
  • Reply 5 of 12
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mac Voyer View Post

It is never going to happen. The original camera was not made for it. Sure, it can be done, but you would wear out your camera and blame Apple for the failure.

Wear it out?!?!? really???
  • Reply 6 of 12
    If there was a chance of physical damage then I could understand, however with limited lifespans before planned obsolescence I doubt that would be the case.

I can even understand perhaps video not making Apple's quality standards, no issue for if they release the software then it does reflect on them.

However third party APP is fully third party and is judged by a far different yardstick. Plenty of Apps available which are quite frankly extremely poor, in bad taste and available for download...lol.

I think it is more to do with quasi forced upgrade with the release of Iphone 3GS. I bet a video recorder APP will eventually be released, a very smart programmer would realize that with an honest amount of work there will be a financial gain at the end.

Only real question is whether Apple would allow the APP on the store? We all know the approval process for particular Apps submitted for the Appstore have not been met with positive responses...or any response for that matter.

I really do hope someone fills the need, money is there to be made.
  • Reply 7 of 12
    You realize that video requires taking thousands of pictures and stringing them together. You would definitely be adding wear and tear to the device and Apple will not allow that sort of failure rate and bad press for their flagship product. Either jailbreak your phone and void your warranty, or get a new phone. Stop acting like you are entitled to every new feature that comes along or that Apple owes you something. Neither is true.
  • Reply 8 of 12
    Same arguments was given for tethering when Apple didn't include it, or MMS when it wasn't included. Some high and mighty people would chime in and speak nonsense, well Apple released both features and those same people now look absolutely silly. Apple makes great products, and have continually shown they can make them better.
  • Reply 9 of 12
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Quote:

Apple could make a fair dollar delivering a video recorder app to the millions of customers who are wishing for this enhancement.

Apple would make millions more from people upgrading to the 3GS.

Quote:

So is Apple not releasing a video APP related to wishing people will be forced to upgrade, genuinely too busy with other challenges, or waiting for the early upgraders to make the transistion and then to deliver the software to market? We all know video does work on the iPhone 3G, but most people wish to not have to alter their phones for the benefit of having it.

Apple is not releasing video software for the early iPhones because their cameras shoot crappy video, the 3GS takes fairly decent video. You are arguing for the ability to play Xbox 360 games on the original Xbox because some people don't want to buy the Xbox 360.

Quote:

I think it is more to do with quasi forced upgrade with the release of Iphone 3GS. I bet a video recorder APP will eventually be released, a very smart programmer would realize that with an honest amount of work there will be a financial gain at the end.

You can look at it this way if you want to be cynical about it. Is the reason you cannot play a Blu-Ray disc in a DVD player because of forced upgrade?

Quote:

Same arguments was given for tethering when Apple didn't include it, or MMS when it wasn't included. Some high and mighty people would chime in and speak nonsense, well Apple released both features and those same people now look absolutely silly. Apple makes great products, and have continually shown they can make them better.

The issues you list have nothing to do with the cameras ability to shoot video. The problem with tethering is AT&T network. That's still the problem. We didn't know why Apple did not include MMS. They are using a 3G only variant. But none of that has anything to do with the fact that the original iPhone camera takes crappy video and their is nothing that can make it better.
  • Reply 10 of 12
    bavlondon2bavlondon2 Posts: 694member
    Hardware wise can the iphone 3g support video capture to the same level as 3Gs?
  • Reply 11 of 12
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bavlondon2 View Post

Hardware wise can the iphone 3g support video capture to the same level as 3Gs?

Not even close. The whole premise of the thread is just plain silly.
  • Reply 12 of 12
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Quote:

You're comparing completely different things.