iPhone marketing head goes to VC firm; iTunes breaks records after Jackson death

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
One of Apple's more publicly visible executives has left to join a venture capital firm. Meanwhile, Apple has unintentionally benefitted as those mourning Michael Jackson's death have flocked to iTunes to buy the pop star's music in what's likely to be record numbers.

Borchers quits Apple to join VC group

Best known as "Bob" from some of Apple's guided tour videos, the company's senior director of worldwide iPhone product marketing Bob Borchers has left his employer to join the venture capital group Opus Capital as one of its partners.

The executive had been at Apple since 2004 and helped direct Apple's public image for the iPhone and iPod at alternate points in his five-year tenure. However, despite considering Apple an "amazing" place to work, he felt it time to leave as there were too many irresistable "white spaces" in the cellular business that could use investment, such as marketing and medicine.

It's not known who will replace Borchers at Apple.

Apple unwitting beneficiary of Jackson death

As millions have sought to pay tribute to Michael Jackson following his sudden death on Thursday, Apple has inadvertently found itself profiting from the occasion through the iTunes Store.

As of Friday evening, six out of the top ten songs being purchased on the US store belonged to the legendary singer, while a staggering nine out of ten top albums came from the musician. About 19 of the top 25 music videos were either for Jackson specifically or else one of his collaborative projects, such as the "We Are the World" charity song. No previous artist, living or dead, has achieved that level of popularity on the music service since it opened in 2003.

While undoubtedly beneficial for Apple, the company has been restrained in its approach to the tragedy. Beyond posting a single banner to honor Jackson's passing -- a customary gesture it has regularly made for other artists, such as James Brown or Johnny Cash -- the company has not taken any extra steps to advertise its song library.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 66
    nace33nace33 Posts: 94member
    There is a MJ Tribute poster on the front page of my iTunes.
  • Reply 2 of 66
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    I had looked up the iTS stats a little while ago and was gathering the data to send to AI. Oh well, I guess that saves me a little time and effort now.
  • Reply 3 of 66
    and up the prices on all his songs to $1.29...

From a quick look, only his hits look to be $1.29...

and bizarrely, the long, 6 minute version of Billie Jean is $.99, while all the short 4 minute versions are $1.29... weird.
  • Reply 4 of 66
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by whatisgoingon View Post

and bizarrely, the long, 6 minute version of Billie Jean is $.99, while all the short 4 minute versions are $1.29... weird.

I wouldn’t call that bizarre. Since songs aren’t priced based on duration it could be simply popularity based or some more convoluted ownership or rights to different versions of the song.

PS: Anyone notice the prices prior to his untimely demise?
  • Reply 5 of 66
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    There has been a number of higher-ups who have recently left Apple to do something else. I wonder if this is an indicator we need to be concerned about. Growing companies and those on an upward trend should attract people.
  • Reply 6 of 66
    thorstenthorsten Posts: 46member
    Great the guy is dead, will never see this money.

And probably anybody else involved with making these songs will not see any money either.

its just money to the industry.

I feel people are getting the money, who don't deserve to get it.

Or what do you think?
  • Reply 7 of 66
    virgil-tb2virgil-tb2 Posts: 1,416member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Thorsten View Post

And probably anybody else involved with making these songs will not see any money either.

Or what do you think?

He died with at least 400 million in debt. Any money his estate can make right now so his children have a fair shake at a decent future seems like a good thing to me.

As pampered as they appear to be, the reality of life after their Dad is dead is going to hit them like a brick anyway.
  • Reply 8 of 66
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

There has been a number of higher-ups who have recently left Apple to do something else. I wonder if this is an indicator we need to be concerned about. Growing companies and those on an upward trend should attract people.

These things happen all the time.

Ruby left Apple as well. And he was quite valuable. And then Apple went on to continue making great things. Frankly, Borcher was working for someone. He was an employee. At some point it's perfectly reasonable for someone to move on to different, more independent work.
  • Reply 9 of 66
    gyokurogyokuro Posts: 83member
    Quote:

Or what do you think?

I believe there will be a handful of people in the music industry that will profit from this, however, MJ was nearly bankrupt just a few years ago......

It would be wise to consider the affect his death will have on his children. They will hopefully never have to worry about money for their entire life.
  • Reply 10 of 66
    porchlandporchland Posts: 478member
    iTunes may or may have had a sales boost as a result of Michael Jackson fans buying tracks, but you can't tell by looking at an ordinal ranking.
  • Reply 11 of 66
    jonnybjonnyb Posts: 64member
    Unintentional, my arse. The Michael jackson spot was up on the iTunes store when I was up at 6am this morning.
  • Reply 12 of 66
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:

Or what do you think?

I think we don't know jack s*** about the guy's actual life other than what the Tabloids and his own bizarre antics portrayed.
  • Reply 13 of 66
    mactrippermactripper Posts: 1,328member
    Quote:

Best known as "Bob" from some of Apple's guided tour videos, the company's senior director of worldwide iPhone product marketing Bob Borchers has left his employer to join the venture capital group Opus Capital as one of its partners.

It could be that Apple is entrenching itself for a long economic downturn.

Quote:

While undoubtedly beneficial for Apple, the company has been restrained in its approach to the tragedy.

And very wisely so given the history of the artist.
  • Reply 14 of 66
    oc4theooc4theo Posts: 294member
    It surprises me that these well paid executives leave a solid company with unlimited potential to try something new and shaky.

It is like leaving a boat in the middle of the ocean, jumping in the water, so you might catch a bigger fish. The risk with this mentality is that not only you may never catch the bigger fish, you can also drown.

But then, when you have a life jacket ( big bank account and stocks ), you can jump ship even when there is no land in sight. Money can make seemingly educated people do unthinkable things.

Good luck Mr Borchers, at least you are smart enough not to join the competition.
  • Reply 15 of 66
    mac voyermac voyer Posts: 1,294member
    When a football team wins the Super Bowl, the coaching staff become highly sought after. No one goes after the coaches of a losing team. Apple has won the consumer electronics Super Bowl several years in a row. You might even call them a dynasty. Of course everyone wants a piece of that action.

Fare well, MJ. We will miss you. You are the end of an era, the last of the mega-stars.
  • Reply 16 of 66
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OC4Theo View Post

It surprises me that these well paid executives leave a solid company with unlimited potential to try something new and shaky...

It could be that your attitude is why you aren't a high-paid executive! (and neither am I... I'm not criticizing you.)

It's generally true that you must take great risks to reap great rewards.

Also, your own comment about already having a big bank account certainly makes it easier for one to step away from a "secure" position.

As for the news about Michael Jackson, I just can't get over the fact that the general population cares more about that than about what's being done in Washington DC. People must not really be that "bad off" when they pay more attention to celebrities than to things that actually affect their lives.
  • Reply 17 of 66
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    Perhaps some people like a challenge and get bored of doing the same thing all the time. Money and security aren't their driving forces.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by OC4Theo View Post

It surprises me that these well paid executives leave a solid company with unlimited potential to try something new and shaky.

It is like leaving a boat in the middle of the ocean, jumping in the water, so you might catch a bigger fish. The risk with this mentality is that not only you may never catch the bigger fish, you can also drown.

But then, when you have a life jacket ( big bank account and stocks ), you can jump ship even when there is no land in sight. Money can make seemingly educated people do unthinkable things.

Good luck Mr Borchers, at least you are smart enough not to join the competition.

• Reply 18 of 66
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TBell View Post

Perhaps some people like a challenge and get bored of doing the same thing all the time. Money and security aren't their driving forces.

I think think thr last thing Borcher is having is money problems.

At a certain point, you're free enough to get creative and do your own thing.

Success in business - hell, the entire concept of entrepreneurship is RISK.
  • Reply 19 of 66
    wilcowilco Posts: 985member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gyokuro View Post

They will hopefully never have to worry about money for their entire life.

Why shouldn't they have to worry about money? They're entitled to life-long financial security because their father was once rich?

In any case, the pedophile probably set up trusts for his "children", which couldn't be touched by his creditors. And, they'll most likely end up with their biological mothers, who presumably still have the millions that Jackson paid them.
  • Reply 20 of 66
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wilco View Post

Why shouldn't they have to worry about money? They're entitled to life-long financial security because their father was once rich?

In any case, the pedophile probably set up trusts for his "children", which couldn't be touched by his creditors. And, they'll most likely end up with their biological mothers, who presumably still have the millions that Jackson paid them.

And tonight the wee ones are safe .