iPhone marketing head goes to VC firm; iTunes breaks records after Jackson death

Comments

• Reply 21 of 66
    galleygalley Posts: 971member
    60% of the all the CDs sold by Amazon.com on Thursday were by Michael Jackson. Wow!
  • Reply 22 of 66
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gyokuro View Post

I believe there will be a handful of people in the music industry that will profit from this, however, MJ was nearly bankrupt just a few years ago......

It would be wise to consider the affect his death will have on his children. They will hopefully never have to worry about money for their entire life.

I wonder if the people that never really had to worry about money necessarily are better off for that.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Thorsten View Post

Great the guy is dead, will never see this money.

And probably anybody else involved with making these songs will not see any money either.

its just money to the industry.

I think the estate still gets residuals / royalties. I've heard the death of an artist often leads to an increase in value of the works left behind.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by OC4Theo View Post

It surprises me that these well paid executives leave a solid company with unlimited potential to try something new and shaky.

It is like leaving a boat in the middle of the ocean, jumping in the water, so you might catch a bigger fish. The risk with this mentality is that not only you may never catch the bigger fish, you can also drown.

But then, when you have a life jacket ( big bank account and stocks ), you can jump ship even when there is no land in sight. Money can make seemingly educated people do unthinkable things.

Why did people leave comfortable lives to explore the Arctic, Antarctic, climb Everest, etc.? There are many reasons, but find some answers to that and I think you'll be closer to understanding. Besides, money doesn't always mean the same thing between different people. Maybe your ideal of someone that "made it" isn't as satisfying to another person as you might expect? Sometimes staying in one place, doing the same things, might seem stifling and boring, why do so many people change their possessions more often than is warranted?
  • Reply 23 of 66
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Galley View Post

60% of the all the CDs sold by Amazon.com on Thursday were by Michael Jackson. Wow!

They also have 1-3 week availability dates before more are available, that's how massive the sales figures were.

Kind of depressing all the high-profile celebrities that died this week: Ed McMahon, Farrah Fawcett and Michael.
  • Reply 24 of 66
    dunksdunks Posts: 1,254member
    I'll admit iTunes was my first thought when I heard the news.
  • Reply 25 of 66
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    At the end of the day these guys/gals have that life jacket all ready to go. A lifeboat, even. They've got savings, stocks, investments, and this Bob dude wouldn't have moved if there wasn't a big fat chunky tuna sandwich of money to be made, risks or otherwise. These people know what they are doing. At least, most of them. The minority are the riches-to-rags tragedy cases and fraudsters, etc.

Entrepreneurship is *managing* risk. Not just about risk. But what would I know... I went down the path of studying hard and the idea of working hard and following the rules. That's why I'm probably not a highly-paid anything. ...Nah it's not that bad. Got a bit more freedom nowadays by using what street smarts I got.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TBell View Post

Perhaps some people like a challenge and get bored of doing the same thing all the time. Money and security aren't their driving forces.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by OC4Theo View Post

It surprises me that these well paid executives leave a solid company with unlimited potential to try something new and shaky.

It is like leaving a boat in the middle of the ocean, jumping in the water, so you might catch a bigger fish. The risk with this mentality is that not only you may never catch the bigger fish, you can also drown.

But then, when you have a life jacket ( big bank account and stocks ), you can jump ship even when there is no land in sight. Money can make seemingly educated people do unthinkable things.

Good luck Mr Borchers, at least you are smart enough not to join the competition.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

I think think thr last thing Borcher is having is money problems.

At a certain point, you're free enough to get creative and do your own thing.

Success in business - hell, the entire concept of entrepreneurship is RISK.

• Reply 26 of 66
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dunks View Post

I'll admit iTunes was my first thought when I heard the news.

My first thought, was that it was all quite sudden. Anyways I bet a lot of activity is going on the torrents as well, though that's a younger crowd so maybe they ain't too familiar with the tragic genius that was MJ.
  • Reply 27 of 66
    It was an assassination. MJ was in debt, the creditors needed the money.

I bet Obama was in on it too, that freeloader.
  • Reply 28 of 66
    Rest in Peace, Michael Jackson. The haters and the ignorant will continue to hate. Guilty until proven innocent....
  • Reply 29 of 66
    nceencee Posts: 857member
    Not defending anything he has or hasn't done, but I believe you meant to say was "The alleged pedophile" ?

You, I (and Millions like us) can think or feel what we what, but it's not a good idea to state something that, well, he wasn't convicted of.

You should or could say "I believe he is a pedophile" and in my opinion should / shouldn't have, get, leave behind ?

Skip

In any case, the pedophile probably set up trusts for his "children", which couldn't be touched by his creditors. And, they'll most likely end up with their biological mothers, who presumably still have the millions that Jackson paid them.[/QUOTE]
  • Reply 30 of 66
    csimmonscsimmons Posts: 100member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by imGayForSteveJobs View Post

Sure. Because as you know, Obama was also responsible for Mark Sanford cheating on his wife (according to Rush Limbaugh).

Think he might have had a hand in Farrah Fawcett & Ed McMahon's deaths too?
  • Reply 31 of 66
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    I think that right now, so close to the man's death, it's in rather poor taste to be calling him names or going out of your way to disparage him, regardless of your opinon of him.

And it has already been demonstrated that he was mentally ill and had some serious personality disorders, but he was not a predator. People like him, with child-like minds, are simply sick, and they are in need of help, not ignorant dismissals.
  • Reply 32 of 66
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by imGayForSteveJobs View Post

You were actually going somewhere mildly interesting with your first sentence. And then you posted nonsense in the second.

If you don't like him, explain why. Because as it stands now, you're alleging Obama is either a welfare case or doesn't do anything but lounge around.
  • Reply 33 of 66
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TBell View Post

Perhaps some people like a challenge and get bored of doing the same thing all the time. Money and security aren't their driving forces.

Perhaps the VC company will be in a better position to help developers of Apple related products now. It may be that Apple is happy with this move.
  • Reply 34 of 66
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

You were actually going somewhere mildly interesting with your first sentence. And then you posted nonsense in the second.

If you don't like him, explain why. Because as it stands now, you're alleging Obama is either a welfare case or doesn't do anything but lounge around.

I think it was a joke
  • Reply 35 of 66
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I think it was a joke

Given the poster's history, coulda fooled me . . .
  • Reply 36 of 66
    wilcowilco Posts: 985member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ncee View Post

...I believe you meant to say was "The alleged pedophile" ?

Nope. I would have written "alleged pedophile" if that's what I meant.

In my eyes, the $20 million payout he made to one of his victims is enough reason.

Anyway, Target is having a special Michael Jackson sale this weekend -- Boy's pants half off!
  • Reply 37 of 66
    csimmonscsimmons Posts: 100member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wilco View Post

Anyway, Target is having a special Michael Jackson sale this weekend -- Boy's pants half off!

Spoken like a true pedophile. Have some experience?

Jerk.
  • Reply 38 of 66
    robogoborobogobo Posts: 378member
    1)*** to all those disrespectful enough to say anything but nice about MJ right now. He influenced good in your life much more than you realize, and swallowing everything the media trumped up about him even after due process is ignorant and foolish.

2) I'm pretty sure MJ's estate can sell off a few goodies to recover $400M in less than a month.

3) Apple might want to think about the image of profiting heavily from a star's death so acutely, and consider donating those profits to rehab centers for pain killer addicts. Just an idea.

4) repeat #1. I feel sad at the loss of the king of pop. Even though he had only a couple good albums, IMO, they changed the music world forever, and provided a generation both identity and a whole lot of mojo. RIP Jacko.[/quote]

EDIT: language. Please be careful.
  • Reply 39 of 66
    iphone1982iphone1982 Posts: 109member
    I was in college during the height of his popularity and regardless of if you want to admit it, his music was fantastic.

What became of him during the years since then has made him a man I wouldn't want my children to idolize and I would never trust them in his hands (if he were still alive).

Maybe he was never convicted but he paid serious money to "settle" out of court on too many occasions IMO for me to believe there wasn?t something going on.

Love his music but I think he turned into a Crazy Nut. I'm sorry I don't feel any loss by his death but I don't.
  • Reply 40 of 66
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by robogobo View Post

1) ***** to all those disrespectful enough to say anything but nice about MJ right now. He influenced good in your life much more than you realize, and swallowing everything the media trumped up about him even after due process is ignorant and foolish.

2) I'm pretty sure MJ's estate can sell off a few goodies to recover $400M in less than a month.

3) Apple might want to think about the image of profiting heavily from a star's death so acutely, and consider donating those profits to rehab centers for pain killer addicts. Just an idea.

4) repeat #1. I feel sad at the loss of the king of pop. Even though he had only a couple good albums, IMO, they changed the music world forever, and provided a generation both identity and a whole lot of mojo. RIP Jacko.

i) Did you defend him like this when he was alive and people made plastic surgery, white skin or pedophila jokes about him, or is this simply because he is now dead and can't be affected by such jokes? Did you ever make those jokes yourself?

ii) I wish I could say that I feel affected by his death but it's not like he was producing any more new music so I feel no direct loss or change to my life. If he was working on a new album and it's now incomplete I might feel some loss but he was not my friend, my family, or someone who directs affects me so I feel for him as much as I feel for the unknown people who die every minute around the world.

iii) McMahon and Fawcett are getting the shaft. Ed was old but Farrah was still relatively young and suffered for awhile with a horrible cancer. That is sad.

iiii) I have heard absolutely no talk about his children. You know, the ones that lost their father. The focus from the media and people is more about how his music affected them with no consideration for their loss.