Steve Jobs returns to work at Apple

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Apple chief executive Steve Jobs returned to work this week following a six-month medical leave, the company said Monday.

"Steve is back to work," a company spokesman told Reuters. "He's currently at Apple a few days a week, and working from home the remaining days. We are very glad to have him back."

In January, Apple announced that Jobs, who was thought to be suffering from a hormone imbalance that was contributing to his weight-loss, would take a medical leave through the end of June after discovering that his health problems were "more complex" than originally thought.

It was later revealed that Jobs spent much of that waiting for, and then recovering from, a liver transplant that was conducted at Methodist University Hospital in Memphis, Tennessee.

James D. Eason, M.D., chief of transplantation and professor of surgery at the hospital, would later say that Jobs' prognosis following the surgery was "excellent."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 126
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    And not a moment too soon. Just in time to release the iPad with all the fanfare that only he can bring to its release.

Welcome back.
  • Reply 2 of 126
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    Welcome back, SJ. I am glad (and you should be too) that the stock barely moved. Good news all around.
  • Reply 3 of 126
    I sincerely hope they toilet papered his office. Or nailed whatever furniture he has to the ceiling. Or built a full sized OS X dock that barely fits inside. In any case, thats good to hear.
  • Reply 4 of 126
    >_>>_> Posts: 336member
    How do I subscribe to this?

I'd like daily updates on his eating habits, commute experiences, and bowel movements too please!

:P

I jest only to cover suppressed imaginings of Apple sans Jobs in the future.
  • Reply 5 of 126
    Best wishes! Glad to hear it!

And on another note: Now maybe I will get my 30" iMac! for Christmas

30" iMac! You heard it hear first!

BTW, I thought we had two livers.
  • Reply 6 of 126
    ghostface147ghostface147 Posts: 1,629member
    Get back to work Steve and continue Apple's ascent.
  • Reply 7 of 126
    jonnybjonnyb Posts: 64member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

Nah, you're thinking of eyes
  • Reply 8 of 126
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jonnyb View Post

Nah, you're thinking of eyes

kidneys.
  • Reply 9 of 126
    ghostface147ghostface147 Posts: 1,629member
    Quote:

Seriously?
  • Reply 10 of 126
    virgil-tb2virgil-tb2 Posts: 1,416member
    Quote:

... I thought we had two livers.

Two kidney's, one liver.

Steve may in fat only have a half or a quarter of a liver, (depending on whether he got the full transplant from a dead person or a partial from a relative). I don't think it's been explicitly said yet.

It would be cool if he got the partial from his daughter, but it's probably a whole one.
  • Reply 11 of 126
    Quote:

You didn't hear Hannibal Lecter say, "I ate his liverS with fava beans and a nice chianti" did you?
  • Reply 12 of 126
    applestudapplestud Posts: 367member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post

It would be cool if he got the partial from his daughter, but it's probably a whole one.

which daughter - the one he has with his current wife, or the one he denied parenthood of in the 80's? The latter, of course, would be much more ironic.
  • Reply 13 of 126
    From all the docs and surgeons I have talked to in my circle (Okay only 4 but still) they said that this is the beginning of the end. He will be lucky to live 5 years. 2 or 3 is most likely. Liver transplants, even on healthy people, only average a 5 year life span. You can get another liver at that point but the rejection process of they body goes up each time and the bucket of drugs you have to take every day is so hard on the body. So I am not really sure why they keep saying his prognosis is excellent...... It is far from excellent. He probably has enough time to wrap up the power transfer of Apple and live a little.

I wish you well Steve. God's best for you and your family
  • Reply 14 of 126
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mclarenf1 View Post

From all the docs and surgeons I have talked to in my circle (Okay only 4 but still) they said that this is the beginning of the end. He will be lucky to live 5 years. 2 or 3 is most likely. Liver transplants, even on healthy people, only average a 5 year life span. You can get another liver at that point but the rejection process of they body goes up each time and the bucket of drugs you have to take every day is so hard on the body. So I am not really sure why they keep saying his prognosis is excellent...... It is far from excellent. He probably has enough time to wrap up the power transfer of Apple and live a little.

Really? This is from webmd.com http://www.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/o...plant-overview

"The long-term success rates for organ transplants vary by the type of organ transplanted, by the number of organs transplanted at the same time (such as heart/lung transplants), and by the type of disease that caused the organ to fail. Generally, success rates for single-organ transplants average 80% or higher.[1] The highest success rate is for kidney transplantation, which has a 5-year survival rate of about 80% to 90%. The 5-year survival rate for liver transplants is about 73% to 78%; for lung transplants, about 45% to 52%; for pancreas transplants, 80% to 90%; and for heart transplants, 68%.[2, 3]"

Perhaps your friends could comment on this?

Or, perhaps WebMD is not up to snuff, I don't know....
  • Reply 15 of 126
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

The 5-year survival rate for liver transplants is about 73% to 78%; for lung transplants, about 45% to 52%; for pancreas transplants, 80% to 90%; and for heart transplants, 68%.

...perhaps WebMD is not up to snuff...

well, webMD is a joke, but what it's saying about transplants is bascally supports what was said earlier. There's a 75% chance he'll live to 5 years. After that, it's ALL borrowed time. 25% chance he won't make it five years. That's a pretty big chance.
  • Reply 16 of 126
    No, that is about right. The FIVE YEAR RATE of liver transplant is 73% FIVE YEAR! If you are in the other 27% then you live shorter. Why does this not make sense to the media. The FIVE YEAR RATE??? Correct me if I'm wrong but it checks out with all the guys in the field I have talked to.
  • Reply 17 of 126
    Yeah..... what he said....... you Apple Stud you
  • Reply 18 of 126
    patrollpatroll Posts: 77member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mclarenf1 View Post

Assume that you are 100% correct in what you are saying above. Four questions:

1) Is it your business or mine or anyone else's on this site?

2) If yes, is it tactful to post this information all over the internet?

3) If yes, does your post add anything that has not already been repeated ad nauseam by others?

4) If yes, do you think that you can post the paragraph saying "he is DOOMED" and the last two sentences?
  • Reply 19 of 126
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by patroll View Post

Assume that you are 100% correct in what you are saying above. Four questions:

1) Is it your business or mine or anyone else's on this site?

2) If yes, is it tactful to post this information all over the internet?

3) If yes, does your post add anything that has not already been repeated ad nauseam by others?

4) If yes, do you think that you can post the paragraph saying "he is DOOMED" and the last two sentences?

one question -

1) Do you think Steve Jobs reads AppleInsider comment sections?

one answer -

1) of course not.
  • Reply 20 of 126
    lafelafe Posts: 252member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple chief executive Steve Jobs returned to work this week following a six-month medical leave, the company said Monday.

Not on the topic of Steve's health, but something I've been wondering . . .

How come some AI stories are bylined with "AppleInsider Staff", while others have a real name associated with them?