Matlab for Mac OS 10.6

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Hi!

I will buy Matlab soon, but I'm not sure if I should wait for 10.6 first. Does the 32 bit version of Matlab run on Mac OS 10.6? Does anyone know how long it will take to get the 64 bit version of Matlab for the Mac also - it should be Matlab 2009 R2?

Has any developer access to Snow Leopard and Matlab to test its compatibility?

Thank you for your help.

Best regards

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    Replying to myself.. I found at least one person in the internet which seems to have used Matlab 2008 with 10.6, so 2009 should also be possible.

Now if anyone has access to Matlab 2009b beta for testing 64 bit, is it worth waiting and buying later, or is it safe to buy 2009a and live with 32 bit on Snow Leopard?

And one additional question. I try to use Octave for a lot of things also. Does it work on 10.6 already? I'm still on Tiger, but am planing to upgrade to a new Macbook Pro with 10.5 in July and upgrade to 10.6 in Oktober ±. I'm just trying to get a smooth transition..

best regards
  • Reply 2 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by future-ex-pc-user View Post

Replying to myself.. I found at least one person in the internet which seems to have used Matlab 2008 with 10.6,

That's interesting, as OSX is currently at v. 10.5.7, afaik.

Did I miss an announcement?

Then my 'Software Update' did too...

Quote:

I try to use Octave for a lot of things also. Does it work on 10.6 already?

No.

Quote:

I'm still on Tiger

Are you still on a PowerPC Mac?

Quote:

but am planing to upgrade to a new Macbook Pro with 10.5 in July and upgrade to 10.6 in Oktober ±.

Good plan.

Let's hope Steve Jobs abides by your timetable, right?
  • Reply 3 of 9
    No, Mac OS 10.6 is not out yet, so probably you didn't miss any announcement. Here is the link I was talking about: Matlab on 10.6.

And yes, I'm still on PPC and didn't invest in 10.5 for my machine since 10.4 works well, so no "software update" for me. And yes, PPC Macs still work quite well, even if mine is over 6 years now (And if you look around among people doing work on the go you will still find some nice 12" Powerbooks doing just fine).

The timetable seems to be quite ok, since I don't depend on 10.6 for my work, and therefore updating the OS in September of December is about the same for me, being my only concern that I don't want to buy (quite expensive) software now, which does not work in 10.6 after the upgrade. As far I know, the OS 10.6 is to be officially launched in September (at least you can buy 10.6 for under 10$ if you buy a computer now which is what I want to do if Matlab works).

Could any developer install octave (opensource) and see if it works please (if you are allowed to do so, which I assume you are)? Also, if you happen to have a copy of Matlab could you also try it please?

Thanks for your reply anyway.

best regards
  • Reply 4 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by future-ex-pc-user View Post

[...] didn't invest in 10.5 for my machine since 10.4 works well, so no "software update" for me. [...]

Huh?

My Tiger had exactly the same 'Software Update' mechanism as Leopard does.

What kind of Tiger/OSX.4 are you running?
  • Reply 5 of 9
    bindigokbindigok Posts: 10member
    Why don't you call MathWorks and ask if you purchase 2009a, can you get 2009b when it comes out so that you can get 64 bit on Snow Leopard. It will be out soon enough, so I'd say wait. We use 64 bit on Windows at work and it's SO MUCH faster/better than 32 bit on Windows, but I can't speak for Leopard vs. Snow Leopard.

I have access to the 64 bit beta MatLab, but I don't have Snow Leopard to try it on.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    hudson1hudson1 Posts: 800member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rokcet Scientist View Post

Huh?

My Tiger had exactly the same 'Software Update' mechanism as Leopard does.

What kind of Tiger/OSX.4 are you running?

I'm sure what he/she means is he/she elected not to purchase OS X 10.5 to replace 10.4.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    floorjackfloorjack Posts: 2,726member
    10.6 wont run on PPC so what's the worry about Matlab/64bit and 10.6 on PPC machine?
  • Reply 8 of 9
    I don't want to use Matlab 64 bit on my 6 year old Powerbook, but I will buy a new Macbook Pro soon and would therefor like to get the most out of this software/hardware, that's why I'm interested in 64 bit (and Snow Leopard).

I contacted Mathworks through e-mail, but their customer support is quite bad here and I have not gotten answers about upgrades from 2009a to 2009b (which supposedly is 64 bit) and compatibility with 10.6. Anyhow I will assume 2009a and b will both work soon on Mac OS 10.6. Thank you for your help.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    floorjackfloorjack Posts: 2,726member
    If you really want to get the most out of a 64 bit CPU then STOP USING MATLAB!

I doubt you'll see a big jump in performance between 64 and 32 bit matlab. I just dream of function compatibility between Mac OS and Windows.