Darwin is BSD and BSD is binary compatible with linux so...

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Can darwin run Linux/PPC binaries??

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    imudimud Posts: 140member
    I'm not real sure about that. I know there is alot of GNU software available. check out this link <a href="http://www.osxgnu.org/"; target="_blank">http://www.osxgnu.org/</a>;
  • Reply 2 of 13
    airslufairsluf Posts: 1,861member
  • Reply 3 of 13
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    I highly doubt this will work. Why, anyway? Most binaries are available through fink and / or DarwinPorts.
  • Reply 4 of 13
    I was jut thinking?

I would hope, that for the future, apple makes Darwin be able to run Linux/PPC binaries. This would ba a HUGE step in opensource development as all of a sudden , Mac OS X would be able to run(with an x server of course)a large amount of linux software that isn't (or won't) be ported to it.

This dosen't seem to be too hard of an idea to pull off, Its been done on x86, so why not PPC
  • Reply 5 of 13
    but most of the important linux software is open source anyway. That means that we have access to the source code and can change it to be compatible with OSX. The changes are often small. See the <a href="http://fink.sourceforge.net/index.php"; target="_blank">Fink Project</a> for more info.
  • Reply 6 of 13
    [quote]Originally posted by gameguy56:

<strong>I would hope, that for the future, apple makes Darwin be able to run Linux/PPC binaries. This would ba a HUGE step in opensource development</strong><hr></blockquote>

Howso? Name me a Linux/PPC app that won't work with Darwin.

[quote]as all of a sudden , Mac OS X would be able to run(with an x server of course)a large amount of linux software that isn't (or won't) be ported to it.<hr></blockquote>

Well. Open-source means you can access the source. And that means you can port it yourself. For most of the software, that's a matter of ./configure && make && make install.

[quote]This dosen't seem to be too hard of an idea to pull off, Its been done on x86<hr></blockquote>

Howso?
  • Reply 7 of 13
    Yes, there is Linux/x86 Compatibility in BSD

<a href="http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/linuxemu.html"; target="_blank">look here on Freebsd.org</a>

[quote] Well. Open-source means you can access the source. And that means you can port it yourself. For most of the software, that's a matter of ./configure && make && make install. <hr></blockquote>

Yes, good point, however, I think it should be made easier for the masses, like an OS X port of gentoo's portage system that builds packages from source much easier and without having to worry about missing dependencies and such

[quote] Howso? Name me a Linux/PPC app that won't work with Darwin. <hr></blockquote>

I'm not quite sure what you mean here, if it is source compatibility, the you could say yes, they are compatibile, but I'm talking about binary compatibility, not source compatibility
  • Reply 8 of 13
    Okay, then name me a binary for Linux that isn't available as source and doesn't exist for Darwin.
  • Reply 9 of 13
    [quote]Originally posted by Chucker:

<strong>Okay, then name me a binary for Linux that isn't available as source and doesn't exist for Darwin.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Java. Oracle. Many more.
  • Reply 10 of 13
    wmfwmf Posts: 1,164member
    OS X already has Java, so that doesn't matter.

Is there Oracle for PPC Linux? And isn't Oracle being ported to OS X anyway?

There is no point to running PPC Linux binaries on Darwin.
  • Reply 11 of 13
    [quote]Originally posted by wmf:

<strong>OS X already has Java, so that doesn't matter.</strong><hr></blockquote>

OS X does, but Darwin doesn't. Might matter for some.

[quote]<strong>There is no point to running PPC Linux binaries on Darwin.</strong><hr></blockquote>

It would be nice, just as Linux ABI support is a nice thing in FreeBSD to have, but I agree that it's not really very important, and in fact also a little less useful on PPC, as most stuff that is only available as Linux binary also happens to be only available as Linux/x86 binary. There still are some instances where it might be useful, though, as some stuff that works fine on Linux does not work quite so fine on *BSD, even with source code available.

Bye,

RazzFazz

[ 11-03-2002: Message edited by: RazzFazz ]</p>
  • Reply 12 of 13
    I'm talking out my ass here, but after consulting my friends and sock-puppets, Mr. Reason and Mr. Logic, we all agreed that OSX, being a PPC port of BSD, could in fact run Linux binaries compiled for PPC. Why? because both are compiled into instructions understood by PPCs, often built with the same compiler (GCC).

However, what many of you are not taking into consideration is that many, many app in linux/unix are linked to libraries. And many of those libraries themselves have dependancies, and so on. So to run, say, 'cp' (this is fictitious example, again, from my ass), you need 'glibc 2.1.4' or whatever. Capiche?

So the answer is "Yes, but no."

Hope this clarifies things. Now if you'll excuse me, my feet are cold.
  • Reply 13 of 13
    [quote]Originally posted by stimuli:

<strong>I'm talking out my ass here, but after consulting my friends and sock-puppets, Mr. Reason and Mr. Logic, we all agreed that OSX, being a PPC port of BSD, could in fact run Linux binaries compiled for PPC. Why? because both are compiled into instructions understood by PPCs, often built with the same compiler (GCC).

</strong><hr></blockquote>

Time for new friends, then.

Even though both are compiled with the GCC toolchain, Darwin and OSX use the MachO executable file format, whereas Linux and the other BSDs use ELF.

Bye,

RazzFazz