Steve Jobs returns to work at Apple

Comments

• Reply 81 of 126
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mclarenf1 View Post

to keep saying his prognosis is excellent is absurd

It's not at all absurd. What people don't seem to realise is that a doctor's prognosis is always relative to the condition in question. In this case "excellent" means "excellent compared with other people who have had a liver transplant". It DOES NOT mean "excellent, he will live to be 100". To take an example from a case I know: for someone who has an aggressive brain tumor where surgery is impossible an "excellent" prognosis from a doctor probably means "you might live another 2 years".
  • Reply 82 of 126
    patrollpatroll Posts: 77member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by seanie248 View Post

patroll, you are an idiot.

and yes, that says enough about me, it says i think you are an idiot and have the right to say so.

Telling someone else to be quiet just because you dont agree with him. !!!

its a public discussion forum.

Go beat up your wife because dinner is 5 minutes late or something...

idiot.

Anyway, great to Steve back, best wishes to him

I did not ask anyone to keep quiet just because we do not agree. I said exactly the following:

'If you "care deeply", respect his privacy and keep quiet.'

As for having the right to say to someone the things you have posted, I think most people would disagree.
  • Reply 83 of 126
    marblemarble Posts: 1member
    It must to be great to get back to work after such an invasive operation, especially back to work at Apple, although back to work anywhere after that operation is an achievement in itself.

first post btw, hello all

~m
  • Reply 84 of 126
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Welcome back Steve. Here are some product issues to deal with:

- The Mac Pro doesn't have an SSD option

- Your Stores are full of children. Can I talk to a grown up about my purchase please.

- iTunes Store Movies. Poor quality metadata: according to iTunes, Breakfast at Tiffany's came out in 1999 and The Three Faces of Eve in 2004. A lot of movies have no synopsis, and those that do, the synopsis is not indexed for searching. Movies chop and change all the time, there one week, gone the next. Rentable one week, not rentable the next.

- Developer website. It is drowning in spin. There are too many "evangelists" and not enough objective documentation. You can't get a straight answer to a straight question without wading through car salesmen. The site forces you to log in multiple times a day for no good reason. The search feature usually finds irrelevant results.

- Mobile Me. The iDisk is slow almost to the point of being broken.
  • Reply 85 of 126
    Thanks all for expanding on some of the information I had and the questions I had. Good discussion. I think I can see now that a lot depends on the individual case and that the five year marker is not just a ticking clock on a new liver. For me, this has all been great news as it seems that maybe there is a chance his prognosis could be excellent. The stock didn't budge on the news of his return so I think most shareholders are already counting on the worst.

I did have a few flare ups cause I can just tell when someone is so far up their own opinion that everyone else is some kind of virus to it. He sounds like a 68 year old English man (and I am English) who lives in America and thinks everyone is slightly beneath him and hovers around in these forums to bestow his wisdom. He was worth a good laugh.

To be honest, this is the first time I have tried to have an extended discussion on a forum and I got mixed results. But what came out in the wash left somebetter conclusions that what I went in with. Thanks!
  • Reply 86 of 126
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

Welcome back Steve. Here are some product issues to deal with:

- The Mac Pro doesn't have an SSD option

- Your Stores are full of children. Can I talk to a grown up about my purchase please.

- iTunes Store Movies. Poor quality metadata: according to iTunes, Breakfast at Tiffany's came out in 1999 and The Three Faces of Eve in 2004. A lot of movies have no synopsis, and those that do, the synopsis is not indexed for searching. Movies chop and change all the time, there one week, gone the next. Rentable one week, not rentable the next.

- Developer website. It is drowning in spin. There are too many "evangelists" and not enough objective documentation. You can't get a straight answer to a straight question without wading through car salesmen. The site forces you to log in multiple times a day for no good reason. The search feature usually finds irrelevant results.

- Mobile Me. The iDisk is slow almost to the point of being broken.

What, no mention of glossy screens? Well, I'm sure someone will be by to remedy that shortly.
  • Reply 87 of 126
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by patroll View Post

I did not ask anyone to keep quiet just because we do not agree. I said exactly the following:

As for having the right to say to someone the things you have posted, I think most people would disagree.

Ignore this guy
  • Reply 88 of 126
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brucep View Post

Ignore this guy

Oh my gosh, he is old and English and he has only been here less than a month and 99% of his posts are arguements and hair splitting. Hey pal, on behalf of myself and a few others I suspect, take a hike if you can't be more constructive. Wow, what a pompus nob!

Personally I love people with strong opinions who haven't forgotten how to learn to form a new one. Have a good day all. STEVE IS BACK!!!!
  • Reply 89 of 126
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mct View Post

That having been said, I wish SJ a fulfilling and healthy life, however long it may still be. I hope he stays productive for Apple (therefore all of us). AND I DO SINCERELY HOPE THAT HE IS ABLE TO KEEP ALL THE SCHEMING, INQUISITIVE, NAGGING, INANE AND INTRUDING IDIOTS OFF HIS BACK WHO ARE CONSTANTLY INVADING HIS CONSTITUTIONAL RIGHT TO PERSONAL AND PATIENT´S PRIVACY!!!!!!!!

IT´S NONE OF ANYONE´S F***ING BUSINESS WHAT HE´S DOING OR WHAT HIS HEALTH IS UNLESS HE WANTS IT TO BE, NO MATTER HOW IMPORTANT HE MAY BE FOR APPLE!!!!!

This may be the internet but, typing in all caps still does not make you right. More often than not, it's over-compensation for being wrong. Loud, but wrong.

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-f...,1155506.story
  • Reply 90 of 126
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:

No, that is about right. The FIVE YEAR RATE of liver transplant is 73% FIVE YEAR! If you are in the other 27% then you live shorter. Why does this not make sense to the media. The FIVE YEAR RATE??? Correct me if I'm wrong but it checks out with all the guys in the field I have talked to.

Quote:

Um, you're an idiot? I was just commenting on the fact that the media is saying all over the web that his prognosis is excellent and I was merely pointing out that that is not accurate reporting.

An idiot is someone that calls someone else an idiot when they are themselves clearly wrong. In any case, calling someone an idiot, however well deserved, probably gets you an infraction point.

Chris has schooled you on the proper reading of survival rates. Good thing too because my 5 year survival rate is 95%. I'd sure hate to be dead on 5 years + 1 day.

Here's a clue: don't pretend to be an internet insta-expert and assume everyone else (even those in the media) are complete morons when they disagree. Especially in your "first extended discussion". Or your second, or your third.

Here's clue 2: don't be a noob who is having his first "extended discussion on a forum" tell someone else to "take a hike" for being a pompous nob. This is called "massive fail in recognition of the irony in your own comments".

Here's clue 3: when teckstud tells you that you are doing internet forum etiquette correctly you know you're doing it wrong. Unless your objective is to be like him.

In which case your name will be joining his on a lot of ignore lists.
  • Reply 91 of 126
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vinea View Post

An idiot is someone that calls someone else an idiot when they are themselves clearly wrong. In any case, calling someone an idiot, however well deserved, probably gets you an infraction point.

Chris has schooled you on the proper reading of survival rates. Good thing too because my 5 year survival rate is 95%. I'd sure hate to be dead on 5 years + 1 day.

Here's a clue: don't pretend to be an internet insta-expert and assume everyone else (even those in the media) are complete morons when they disagree. Especially in your "first extended discussion". Or your second, or your third.

Here's clue 2: don't be a noob who is having his first "extended discussion on a forum" tell someone else to "take a hike" for being a pompous nob. This is called "massive fail in recognition of the irony in your own comments".

Here's clue 3: when teckstud tells you that you are doing internet forum etiquette correctly you know you're doing it wrong. Unless your objective is to be like him.

Well said.
  • Reply 92 of 126
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vinea View Post

Thanks Dad..... Ignore me already. Gosh this place is loaded to the hill with strange people. No need to ignore me..... I probably wont be discussing much anymore. What a waste of time. I came on the board with an honest query and got shot at by, yes, IDIOTS. Thank you again to those that offered an opinion without spitting at me.

And, oh yes, I am truly sorry for responding to being spat at (sarcasm)
  • Reply 93 of 126
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:

Thanks Dad..... Ignore me already. Gosh this place is loaded to the hill with strange people. No need to ignore me..... I probably wont be discussing much anymore. What a waste of time. I came on the board with an honest query and got shot at by, yes, IDIOTS. Thank you again to those that offered an opinion without spitting at me.

And, oh yes, I am truly sorry for responding to being spat at (sarcasm)

And I'm gonna take my ball and go HOME! You poopyheads!

Yes, indeedy, the internet is loaded to the hill with strange people. It's the internet.

Okay, no more free clues for you young man. Go to your room! No telly and no xbox.
  • Reply 94 of 126
    Welcome back, Steve!.

How about the iTablet for this year ?. Apple's version of the netbook but without a physical keyboard.

And it does not need that crummy Atom CPU either ...
  • Reply 95 of 126
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brucep View Post

The ipad sounds like a women's product. How about islab?

The iSlab? Isn't that where Dr Frankenfurter keeps Rocky in cyberspace?
  • Reply 96 of 126
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

You're original alright.

Anyways so where's the evidence on the cancer having metastasised? Not trolling, wondering if anyone has info on that.

That was all over and mentioned by the press and the reason for the transplant . The cancer had spread to the liver- metastasised. That seriousness was also the main reason why he had jumped to the front of the list for the transplant- it had metastasised. Big diff than a trasnplant for cirhossis or liver damage.
  • Reply 97 of 126
    bigpicsbigpics Posts: 1,397member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

BTW, I thought we had two livers.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jonnyb View Post

Nah, you're thinking of eyes

Quote:
    Originally Posted by fartheststar View Post

kidneys.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

Seriously?

IQ points.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post

It would be cool if he got the partial from his daughter.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleStud View Post

...the one he denied parenthood of in the 80's... of course, would be much more ironic.

In either case, it might be heroic and laudable and a better genetic match, abd in the latter case ironic, but in neither case is it "cool" to give up half your liver, whether lovingly voluntarily or from sense of obligation or simply out of more "humanity" than many have. And does place TWO lives at risk. "Cool."

It is a bigger deal even than changing a battery in the newest macbooks after all.
  • Reply 98 of 126
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

The iSlab? Isn't that where Dr Frankenfurter keeps Rocky in cyberspace?

iSlab ?? i never said that

I said air-tab
  • Reply 99 of 126
    jimzipjimzip Posts: 446member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by patroll View Post

I think I'm on a lot of people's 'ignore' list because I once said something negative about the iPod shuffle , but anyway...

I don't know why some people are being such prudes, and I agree with you. It feels strange that people are sitting here debating Steve's life expectancy. I know we're (mostly) apple fanatics but that's a bit too far, just let it go.

Kinda feels a family discussing a nursing home for nan while she's sitting right there.

I'm just happy that he's back in action.

Jimzip
  • Reply 100 of 126
    jimzipjimzip Posts: 446member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bigpics View Post

IQ points.

In either case, it might be heroic and laudable and a better genetic match, abd in the latter case ironic, but in neither case is it "cool" to give up half your liver, whether lovingly voluntarily or from sense of obligation or simply out of more "humanity" than many have. And does place TWO lives at risk. "Cool."

It is a bigger deal even than changing a battery in the newest macbooks after all.

I LOL'd.

Jimzip